State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - R

    Reedbeds - Renmark



    It has been recorded that:

    The Aborigines called it witoingga - 'reedy place'.

    General Notes

    The Register of
    28 July 1847, page 3e and
    9 November 1863, page 3d has accounts of a flood:

    Also see Register,
    17 August 1900, page 7f,
    22 September 1900, page 9d,
    14 June 1905, page 4i,
    13 July 1905, page 7h,
    27 August 1906, page 5b,
    10 and 11 September 1906, pages 5g and 7d,
    10, 20 and 30 August 1909, pages 10h, 5f and 5h,
    4 September 1909, page 45c,
    30 July 1910, page 12i,
    19 September 1912, page 13b,
    1 November 1917, page 9c.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    23 July 1904, page 24,
    31 July 1909, page 30,
    28 September 1912, page 30,
    23 June 1917, page 26,
    14 August 1920, page 24.Register,
    18 and 23 August 1920, pages 7g and 8f,
    13 November 1920, page 8f,
    16 September 1922, page 13g,
    22 November 1922, page 6g,
    1 June 1923, page 8h,
    23 June 1923, page 27,
    9, 12 and 14 June 1923, pages 13a, 10a and 7d-11d,
    20 July 1923, page 10a,
    22 September 1923, page 7a,
    16 and 19 November 1923, pages 8d-11c and 3f,
    3 and 10 May 1924, pages 9d and 11e,
    4 November 1924, page 9g,
    3 and 6 December 1924, pages 11c and 3e-9c,
    8 October 1926, page 14e.

    "Lower Torrens in Early Days" is in the Register,
    8 January 1919, page 10e.

      In his reminiscences Captain S.A. White says: "In those days the water hardly ever stopped running and if it did so for a few days, very deep rush and flag-fringed pools, hundreds of yards in extent, existed along the river's course.... What a change has come over the scene. Not a hundred yards away from the writer is the same old river, but it has been shorn of all its beauty for the water has been impounded for the pleasures of the madding crowd. The rights of those below are naught in these times of pleasure. Not a thought is given to the fauna and flora along the banks of the lower reaches of the stream... A Roman Emperor fiddled while his city burned. Many Adelaide folk paddle on a full lake while vegetable crops are burnt up this hot weather and the same people ask why vegetables are dear? The birds are nearly all gone. It was painful this week to see three broods of fluffy little black ducks, which had been carried by their parents from away back where they had nested, to a few small stagnant pools in the river bed where they are trying to rear them. We hear not the joyous note of the reedbird (the most beautiful of our songsters). He has gone for the reeds do not exist. Other water birds have disappeared. Never will we see old and glorious sights again, for now Millbrook is in operation, we will fare worse than ever."

    Information on the Wesleyan (Union) Chapel is in the Observer,
    12 January 1856, page 5g; also see
    3 May 1856, page 3g.

    Information on Mr and Mrs Wild's school is in the Register,
    30 July 1860, page 2h.

    The opening of the Moore Park bridge is reported in the Register,
    18 May 1864, page 3d.

    A proposal to form a "Volunteer Rifle Cavalry Company" is reported in the Chronicle,
    28 January 1860, page 3f;
    "The Late Reedbeds Cavalry" is in the Register,
    25 May 1866, page 2g.
    Reminiscences of that body appear on
    23 September 1920, page 5g.
    A photograph of members of a rifle club is in the Chronicle,
    14 September 1907, page 29.
    Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.

    A proposed bridge "over the invert near Mr A.H. Davis's" is discussed in the Observer,
    5 September 1863, page 2f.
    An obituary of Mr A.H. Davis is in the Express,
    5 June 1866, page 3c.

    The cultivation of a date palm is reported in the Observer,
    5 May 1866, page 5.

    A cricket match is reported in the Register,
    28 January 1868, page 3b,
    28 May 1868, page 2d;
    matches against Port Suburban are reported in the Chronicle,
    27 March 1869, page 11d and
    10 April 1869, page 11d; also see
    10 July 1885, page 3b.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.

    A proposal to grow sugar cane on Mr Blackler's property is reported in the Observer,
    31 October 1868, page 13c,
    7 November 1868, page 9b.
    His obituary is in the Chronicle,
    4 July 1896, page 18a.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.

    Mr W.H. Blackler's harriers are reported upon in the Register,
    25 and 31 May 1869, pages 3b and 3d; also see
    9 August 1869, page 2h and
    27 March 1869, page 2e,
    28 May 1869, page 2d.

    Information on the Reedbeds Athletics Club is in the Observer,
    24 June 1871, page 12e; also see
    30 December 1871, page 5d,
    2 July 1872, page 3g.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
    25 November 1871, page 8c.
    It is apparent that horse steeple-chasing was engaged in at the Reedbeds and the venue is described in the Register,
    1 and 4 December 1871, pages 4e and 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    A sketch of a capture of prize-fighters by the police is in Frearson's Weekly,
    25 February 1882, page 41.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Boxing.

    A trial of twine-binders is reported in the Register,
    10 and 13 October 1883, pages 6f and 6e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements.

    A field naturalists' excursion is reported in the Register,
    21 April 1891, page 6g.

    An obituary of Peter Harwood is in the Register,
    26 August 1896, page 5d,
    Chronicle, 29 August 1896, page 16d,
    of William Butterfield on 19 December 1903, page 44a.

    Biographical details of Mrs John White are in the Observer,
    29 July 1899, page 43c and
    an obituary on 9 September 1899, page 74e.
    An obituary of Charles White is in the Register,
    27 December 1900, page 5b,
    Observer, 29 December 1900, page 22d.
    Biographical details of Samuel A. White are in the Register,
    12 April 1900, page 3g,
    of William White in the Observer,
    26 August 1911, page 41d;
    also see Register,
    20 November 1917, page 4f in respect of Samuel White.

    Farms in the area are described in the Register,
    15 March 1899, page 7a and
    the aftermath of a duststorm on
    25 January 1902, page 3f.

    "Water Supply in the Reedbeds" is in the Observer,
    18 March 1899, page 2d.
    Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.

    An obituary of William Butterfield is in the Register,
    15 December 1903, page 5b,
    of Thomas Butterfield on 26 September 1905, page 5a.

    Biographical details of Henry Pinch are in the Register,
    25 June 1904, page 7b.

    "Boating on the Henley Beach Road" is in the Register,
    13 July 1905, page 7h.

    A drainage scheme is reported in the Register,
    26 and 30 October 1909, pages 9a and 11c,
    6 December 1909, page 9i.

    A visit by ornithologists is reported in the Register,
    13 October 1905, page 8e.
    "Beautiful Birds - A Day at the Reedbeds" is in the Register,
    24 September 1910, page 8c.
    Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Birds.

    Reedbeds' Flood Waters" is in the Register,
    24 January 1916, page 7d,
    "Reedbeds Flooded - Miles of Water" is in the Register,
    19 September 1912, page 13b.

    "The Torrens Waters" is in the Register,
    27 July 1916, page 4e,
    1 August 1916, page 9f.

    Biographical of the late Mr Glen, nurseryman, is in the Register,
    15 October 1920, page 9d.

    Poaching in the vicinity is commented upon in the Register on 8 February 1922, page 6d.

    "A Pioneer of the Reedbeds - Mr William White's Adventurous Career" is in the Advertiser,
    1 April 1926, page 14g;
    for information on Samuel White see
    7 April 1926, page 9a.
    Also see Place Names - Lockleys and Place Names - Moodlunga.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Reedy Creek

    Its mine is described in the Register,
    23 April 1869, page 2h; also see
    8 May 1869, page 2g,
    17 December 1889, page 7b.
    The "New Reedy Creek Mine" is commented upon on
    12 January 1893, page 7e.

    An article entitled "Reedy Creek and its Neighbourhood", which includes a history of the mine, is in the Register,
    31 May 1869, page 2e.

      Among the many discoveries which rewarded the exertions of pioneer miners one of the most promising was in the immediate vicinity of Reedy Creek, a tributary of the Murray and situated many miles southward of what is now known as the township of Koolunga [sic]... The workings were discontinued after something over £60,000 had been laid out upon them, but with the understanding that they should be resumed on the subsidence of the gold fever. Mischievous bushmen assisted the ravages of time in destroying as far as possible all trace of the work of previous years. Huts and houses were burned, the timbering of shafts fell in and at length the whole of the machinery was disposed of to prevent its total demolition. To stray visitors the aspect of affairs was forlorn and dreary enough, but those who knew the spot were confident that a renewal of operations must take place...

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    Parliamentary Paper 24/1874 shows that the school near Tungkillo was being conducted in a chapel by Celia Richards with 49 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1868 and closed in 1876.

    The opening of a bridge at Reedy Creek in the South-East is reported in the Chronicle,
    16 September 1865, pages 2g-1f (supp.).
    A photograph of school students is in the Chronicle,
    23 March 1918, page 24.

    The following anecdote is in the Observer, 25 November 1916, page 48d:

      ... Native peaches were plentiful and the stones, when mounted in gold, took the form of a popular scarfpin. In the engine house on Christmas Day a whole bullock was roasted and decorated with ribbons. This was the custom, as there were several Cornish people at the copper mines.
    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Rees, Hundred of


    Rowland Rees, MP (1873-1890). Born at Gibraltar in 1840 he came to South Australia in 1869, where he entered into partnership with Thomas English as an architect. Later, on his own account, he was the engineer for the Holdfast Bay Railway. He was Minister of Education in Sir William Morgan's ministry and died at Parkside.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Politics.

    "Libel - Rees versus E. Ward" is in The Irish Harp,
    21 March 1873, page 6,
    4 April 1873, page 5c,
    "Public Men and Private Character" is in the Observer,
    31 May 1873, page 12f; also see
    29 January 1874, page 3d,
    14 June 1873, page 6c,
    31 January 1874, page 12c.

      It is not our intention to summarize the history of the social and political scandal which has for the past two months given painful notoriety to the names of Messrs Ebenezer Ward and Rowland Rees for we imagine our readers have had enough of it in reports which have already been published. But there are some conclusions to be drawn... We can readily imagine how an uncandid critic like Mr Trollope would have gloried in giving an exaggerated colouring to the facts that have transpired: "While I was in this colony", our imaginative hyper critic might have written, "two of the members of the Legislative Council were awaiting their trial - the one for raking into the private life of his opponent, and publishing in his newspaper such personal details as no respectable journal in England would ever dream of printing; and the other for swearing to alleged untruths in his account of a petty squabble which it was mutually admitted had taken place between these two exalted lawmakers in the public room of a common pothouse..."

      Over and over again evidence is given of open and undisguised gambling being carried on in this house. Mr Ward called servants of the establishment who testified to their having seen gambling both here [Globe Hotel] and at the Hamburg Hotel... It is incredible that both the police and the Inspector of Public Houses could have been ignorant of the existence of practices which seem to have been so frequent and so open.

    "Mr Rowland Rees Again" is in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
    14 July 1876, page 2.

    "Mr Rees at Salisbury" is in the Chronicle,
    2 July 1881, page 21d,
    "Mr Rees on Free Education" on
    5 September 1885, page 4d;
    a photograph is in the Chronicle,
    29 October 1904, page 28 and
    an obituary in the Advertiser,
    14 October 1904, page 6e.

    Poems and cartoons are in The Adelaide Punch,
    9 November 1878, page 9,
    The Lantern, 23 May 1885, pages 8 and 23,
    8 August 1885, page 11,
    19 September 1885, page 14,
    29 September 1888, page 20,
    3 November 1888, page 1.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Reeves Plains


    Samuel Reeves who discovered the plains while in the employ of the South Australian Company.

    General Notes

    The opening of the school is reported in the Chronicle,
    26 October 1867, page 1g (supp.);
    Parliamentary Paper 26/1875 shows it being conducted by Robert C. Gilmour with 63 enrolled pupils; it closed in 1966.
    For further information see Life Around the Light, page 143, Advertiser,
    16 and 17 July 1869, pages 3a and 2h,
    24 August 1869, page 3e,
    7 September 1869, page 3e,
    4 April 1925, page 5d.

      The ceremony of opening the new school took place on the 15th... The building is very substantial and well finished containing a family residence for the schoolmaster and the spacious schoolroom calculated to hold from 150 to 200 scholars. It is built of stone with brick quoins and ornamental copings...

    An obituary of Caroline A. Smith is in the Observer,
    30 July 1898, page 29a,
    of James Pratt on 3 April 1909, page 24b.

    "Reeves Plains Shooting Case" is in the Register,
    21 June 1911, page 9b,
    1 August 1911, page 4i.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Reeves Point

    On Kangaroo Island. Augustus Reeves, an early inhabitant of the Island - see Register,
    23 March 1905, page 6e.
    18 and 25 March 1905, pages 34d and 24, 1 April 1905 (sketch)

      During an interview with Mr Augustus Reeves, the oldest resident of the island, which took place only a few days before his death, I was supplied with much information of interest... "The last of the Tasmanians is buried... at a place called Springy Vale, near Stokes Bay... (Mr J. Buick... has since corroborated this assertion)..." He came to South Australia in the Minerva... and settled on the island in 1853...

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Reformatory Hulk

    This name was given to a school opened in 1887 and closed in 1893.

    For further information on the hulk see Register,
    22 February 1881, page 5a,
    7 March 1881, page 5d and South Australia - Crime, Punishment and the Law - Law - Reformatory Hulk.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Reid Town

    The opening of a "native" chapel at this place is reported in the Chronicle,
    8 May 1869, page 7c; also see
    15 April 1871, page 7c.

    It is an alternative name for Point McLeay (Raukkan) and was named by Rev George Taplin after a compatriot, Rev James Reid, who was drowned in Lake Alexandrina in 1863. See Graham Jenkin, Conquest of the Ngarrindjeri, page 104.

      The native church at Reid Town was opened for divine service when services were preached to full congregations in the morning, afternoon and evening by the pastor, Rev George Taplin. On Wednesday a tea meeting was held... Such a union of the natives with the Christian colonists must exert a most civilising influence. One hundred natives were regaled with an abundant tea on the occasion of the opening of their church...

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names



    Sir George H. Reid, a former Prime Minister of Australia.

    General Notes

    Biographical information on Mr G.H. Reid is in the Register,
    18 August 1904, page 5c.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names


    Newspaper reports alternate between the names "Raleigh" and "Releigh".
    A report on the fourth anniversary of the Releigh Chapel in the Belvidere (Strathalbyn) district is in the Register,
    31 October 1864, page 2h; also see
    31 March 1865, page 3f.

      The fourth anniversary of the Releigh Chapel (at Belvidere, near Strathalbyn) was celebrated on October 23 and 24... The superintendent stated that upwards of 2,000 verses of Scripture and poetry had been committed to memory the last year...

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names

    Remarkable, Mount


    Discovered by E.J. Eyre in 1839 - 'from the lofty way it towered above the surrounding hills I named it Mount Remarkable'.

    General Notes

    A report on an "advance party" following the Special Survey is in the Observer,
    21 November 1846, page 5a.

      The advanced party from Adelaide has started to take possession of the splendid location and survey at Mount Remarkable, fully equipped to unfold the mineral treasure of that vicinity... Instead of meeting a sterile range of mountains, or barren country, usual in mining districts, we at once come upon what cannot be more aptly called than "Mount Remarkable"... Mr Charles Hare is entrusted with the charge of these pioneers... This splendid mineral property and valuable adjunct to South Australian wealth is situate about 12 miles due east of Port Pirie lately discovered by Captain Elder and others.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
    2 January 1858, page 3g,
    14 January 1860, page 3b,
    13 January 1866, page 3e,
    23 October 1884, page 3g.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    "A Trip to Mount Remarkable and Back by Rounsevell's Royal Mail" is described in the Advertiser,
    4 March 1861, page 3c.

    "A Remarkable Mount" is in the Chronicle,
    2 November 1878, page 10c.

    A coursing event is reported in the Chronicle,
    10 September 1892, page 14g.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.

    The foundation of a "village settlement" is reported in the Register,
    15 and 21 February 1894, pages 6e and 7b,
    23, 27 and 28 February 1894, pages 3h, 6a and 7d,
    8 and 26 March 1894, pages 7d and 6a,
    2 and 19 April 1894, pages 6b and 7d,
    12 May 1894, page 6e,
    14 and 26 June 1894, pages 6e and 6f,
    6 and 11 July 1894, pages 6c and 6h,
    12 September 1894, page 5g: Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Miscellany - Village Settlements

      About a mile north of Melrose... hidden from view by large gumtrees and richly blossomed wattles, is a little village of canvas huts with mud chimneys...
    Also see see Observer,
    14 July 1894, page 31b,
    15 and 22 September 1894, pages 4c and 29c,
    15 December 1894, page 10a,
    12 January 1895, page 14d,
    17 November 1894, page 6e,
    7 December 1894, page 6e,
    8 January 1895, page 7d,
    21 January 1895, page 6f,
    21 February 1895, page 6f,
    4 May 1895, page 7f,
    1, 11 and 17 October 1895, pages 6h, 6h and 5c,
    8 November 1895, page 7g.
    Sketches are in the Pictorial Australian in
    May 1894, pages 77 and 92,
    September 1894, page 153.
    "Mount Remarkable Ascended" is in the Register,
    27 September 1904, page 6b.

    A poem titled "Mount Remarkable" by Sylvester Smith is in the Register,
    31 July 1909, page 12h.

    The purchase of Mount Remarkable Estate for closer settlement is reported in theRegister,
    3 February 1915, page 7e,
    3 February 1916, page 7e,,
    1 and 8 April 1916, pages 9d and 26 (photos).

    A soldiers' training settlement is discussed in the Register,
    16 April 1917, page 8e,
    30 June 1917, page 12a,
    15 February 1919, page 10a; also see
    16 and 25 June 1920, pages 6a and 10f,
    6 April 1921, page 14g.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    8 September 1917, page 25,
    8 September 1917, page 25.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Repatriation.

    See Melrose for details of the school.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names



    For its naming see Government Record Group 35/1, docket no. 2266 of 1879 in the State Records Office.

    Closer examination of the naming of this town by Governor Jervois does not support the assertion that it was adopted from a town in Suffolk, England which is spelt "Rendlesham". No link could be found between him and Rendlesham but he did have similar qualifications to, and probably knew, a Rendel family of engineers in England.

    Gov. Jervois (1821-1897), Lieutenant-General, obtained a commission in the Royal Engineers in 1839. After service in South Africa from 1841 to 1848 he returned to England and in 1852 was involved in building fortifications at Alderney, one of the Channel Islands. He later became an adviser to the British Government on "designs of the defences of dockyards and naval bases at home and abroad." He was an associate of the Institution of Engineers.
    (Dictionary of National Biography, London, (DNB), Supplement, Volume 3, 1901, pp. 40-43.)

    James Meadows Rendel (1799-1856), who lived for many years at Plymouth, was an engineer who, in addition to the construction of bridges and railways, reported on, designed and constructed harbours. In 1850 he commenced making a new harbour at St Peter Port, Guernsey. He joined the Institution of Engineers in 1824 and served as its president in 1852 and 1853. He had four sons all of whom were engineers, while three of them were partners in the firm of Sir William Armstrong at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, which built naval vessels.

    Governor Jervois was in England for some months in 1878 and while there had been approached by shipbuilders who had heard that the South Australian Government wished to obtain a warship. In 1882 he submitted a memorandum to the SA Government on "Vessels of War for the Defence of South Australia" in which he stated that "after due consideration of the proposals" "by some of the best ship-building firms in England" submitted to him "about four years ago", he recommended that the Agent-General be directed "to obtain drawings and a tender for the supply of the vessel... from the firm of Sir William Armstrong and Co." Thus, at the time when Gov. Jervois named Rendelsham on 2 December 1879, he had been considering a proposal to which three of the Rendel brothers had probably contributed. On 16 November 1882 the SA Government signed a contract authorising the construction of HMCS Protector by Sir William Armstrong and Co.
    (R. Gillett, Australia's Colonial Navies, Garden Island, NSW, 1982.)

    Therefore, it is believed there is little doubt that the South-East town was named in honour of the Rendel family - "ham" is Old English for "home"; thus, the literal translation of "Rendelsham" is "Rendel's Home".

    Information on Mr Rendel's bridge building near Plymouth, England is in the Advertiser,
    28 September 1858, page 3e and
    a trial of the Protector at Newcastle-on-Tyne is reported on
    25 July 1884, page 5d.

    Rendelsham - Miscellany

    Its school opened in 1882.

    Local chicory production is reported upon in the Advertiser,
    16 January 1893, page 7c.
    A photograph of a chicory kiln is in the Chronicle,
    30 June 1923, page 32.
    Also see Place Names - Beachport.

      The production of pure chicory for the colonial markets is of incalculable benefit... Messrs Harper & Co and Messrs Fowler & Co, of Adelaide, embarked in the industry some years ago and they have found a rival in Mr J.B. Carr who has erected steam chicory works at Beachport on Rivoli Bay... It might be well to produce by reference of the factory at Beachport to the capabilities of the Rendelsham area for the growth of the chicory root. The swampy lands with their black, peaty soil are peculiarly fitted for root crops... It was my pleasure to meet with the settler who first introduced chicory cultivation to Rendelsham. He started in a small way... last year he delivered 140 tons for £3.5s) a ton in the trucks at Rendelsham under contract with Mr Fowler...

    "The Possibilities of Production" is in the Advertiser,
    22 January 1906, page 4h.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Duncan Stewart is reported in the Register,
    10 April 1911, page 4h;
    an obituary of Mrs Stewart is in the Register,
    25 June 1920, page 5a.

    Information on "Hallelujah Farm" is in the Advertiser,
    8 December 1915, page 9e.
    A photograph of a bridge over a drain leading to the farm is in the Observer,
    16 July 1927, page 34.

    Rendelsham - Obituaries

    An obituary of William B. Crouch is in the Register,
    8 February 1912, page 4h,
    of James Carthew on 25 May 1926, page 8h,
    of Thomas G. Humphries on 5 December 1927, page 13f.

    An obituary of Mrs J. Carthew is in the Observer,
    1 January 1916, page 44a,
    of Mrs Sarah A. Stewart on 3 July 1920, page 13a.

    Reedbeds - Renmark
    Place Names



    Is presumed to be a corruption of an Aboriginal word meaning 'red mud'. However, a Lands Department note says:

      Doubtful. Probably was originally an outstation of Bookmark and named by the lessee. The mud at Renmark is not red.

    The result of research by Heather Bennett as published in Renmark Remembers indicates that its nomenclature may lay elsewhere. A police report of 1864 refers to it as 'Rennie'; later a newspaper report shows 'Rene'.

      A ship's carpenter named William Renny was yard building in the area in the 1860s. Maybe he built "Renmark Hut''... situated on the river bank where the hotel was built in later years.

    To support this contention there is a 'Reny (sic) Island' near Renmark, bounded by Ral Ral Creek and the River Murray; it appears on maps as early as 1877.

    General Notes

    Reminiscences of the district prior to closer settlement are in the Advertiser,
    31 October 1910, page 8h.
    "Good Old Days in Renmark" is in The Mail,
    16 July 1932, page 2g.

    A history of the town and photographs are in the Chronicle,
    26 October 1933, pages 33 and 46.

    "Irrigation Pioneers - The Great Chaffey Scheme" is in the Advertiser,
    25 July 1921, page 8c.
    Also see Place Names - Chaffey.

    "Sports at Renmark" is in the Chronicle,
    7 January 1888, page 16a.
    The first meeting of the Renmark Jockey Club is reported on
    20 July 1889, page 14e (4e?).
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    The town and district are described in the Chronicle,
    20 October 1888, page 14b,
    12 January 1889, page 22e,
    29 October 1892, page 6a,
    25 August 1891, page 3d,
    23 October 1891, page 3f.

    The town is described in the Express,
    19 October 1887, page 5d,
    23 November 1887, page 5c,
    23 February 1888, page 6e,
    3 May 1888, page 5d,
    19 and 24 October 1888, pages 4c and 5c,
    20 October 1888, page 6c,
    11 January 1889, page 6d,
    19 October 1888, page 3d,
    19 December 1888, page 6c,
    23 February 1889, page 6a,
    4 June 1889, page 5h,
    10 December 1889, page 6h,
    14 May 1890, page 6a,
    18 May 1891, page 6h,
    16 June 1891, page 7a,
    25 August 1891, page 6e.

    Also see Express,
    4 June 1889, page 3f,
    17 March 1892, page 6d,
    15 May 1894, page 3d,
    8 August 1892, page 6a,
    26 October 1892, pages 4f-6b,
    1 June 1895, page 5d,
    2 April 1896, page 6a,
    6 May 1896, page 6a,
    1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 December 1898, pages 6b, 9c, 6d, 6d and 5f,
    26 July 1900, page 6c,
    11 December 1903, page 3g,
    25 August 1909, page 6d,
    9 March 1918, page 13c.

    "Some Facts and Figures" on
    13 May 1919, page 3g.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    25 March 1911, page 30,
    8 and 15 April 1911, pages 30 and 31,
    17 December 1931, page 32.

    Its school opened in 1888; the Renmark North School was previously known as "Block E";
    Renmark South School opened in 1929 and closed in 1944;
    Renmark West School opened in 1912.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Renmark North School is reported in the Advertiser,
    7 July 1928, page 20e and
    the opening of the High School on
    1 June 1929, page 16e; also see
    23 July 1927, page 35b.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    7 December 1912, page 30,
    14 July 1928, page 52,
    14 September 1929, 33.

    "A Trip to Renmark" is in the Observer,
    20 October 1888, page 10e; also see
    2 March 1889, page 13d.

    The loss of the steamer, Paringa, is reported in the Register,
    6 February 1890, page 5b.
    Also see Place Names - Murray River - Steamers and Navigation.

    A "phenomenal" hailstone and cyclone is reported in the Observer,
    17 September 1898, page 15b.

    "Municipalising Hotels - The Renmark Experiment" is traversed in the Advertiser,
    14 October 1901, page 5c.
    "Municipalising Hotels" is in the Chronicle,
    19 October 1901, page 34e,
    "The Renmark Hotel - How it is Worked" is in the Register on
    8 and 20 August 1908, pages 13f and 6g,
    22 August 1908, page 41d.
    "Intemperance at Renmark" in the Advertiser,
    6 March 1912, page 18d; also see
    The News,
    20 August 1930, page 9b.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    2 October 1930, page 38.
    "Big Hotel Plan Failed" is in The News,
    20 April 1936, page 4f.

    "Renmark - Its Present and Future" is in the Chronicle,
    21 June 1902, page 31e.

    Information on an Anglican church is in the Register,
    22 February 1906, page 3b.

    A horticultural show is reported in the Register,
    6 May 1907, page 3f.
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    The first motor car trip from Adelaide is reported in the Register,
    24 February 1908, page 7c;
    also see 17 June 1908, page 4f.
    Also see South Australia - Tranport - Motor Cars and Cycles.

    A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Institute is in the Chronicle,
    27 June 1908, page 32,
    of its opening in the Observer,
    13 February 1909, page 32,
    of a low river in the Chronicle,
    20 February 1915, page 28.

    A photograph of a ladies rowing crew is in the Observer,
    23 March 1913, page 32,
    of local flooding on
    3 November 1917, page 24,
    of the Wentworth mail motor coach on
    29 October 1921, page 25.

    "Renmark Patriotism" is in the Register,
    17 December 1915, page 6b.

    Biographical details of Dr Alexander Krakowsky are in the Register,
    17 February 1917, page 12a.

    "Some Facts and Figures" is in the Register,
    13 May 1919, page 3g.

    "Pioneering at Renmark" is in the Register on
    28 March 1924, page 7a,
    "Renmark Today" on
    31 March 1924, page 10g,
    31 January 1927, page 8d,
    8 March 1927, page 12.

    The irrigation area is described in the Advertiser,
    29 October 1925, page 19.
    "How Renmark is Irrigated" is in the Observer,
    1 May 1926, page 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Irrigation.

    A river steamer trip from Morgan is described in the Register,
    1 June 1889, page 5h.
    Also see Place Names - Murray River - Steamers and Navigation.

    A complaint about excessive drinking is made in the Register,
    3 August 1889, page 6h - "The greatest curse is the Working Men's Club. This is nothing more than a mere drinking shanty..."

    "Phenomenal Hailstone and Cyclone" is in the Observer,
    17 September 1898, page 15b.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Miscellany.

    "Relief Sought for Settlers" is in the Register,
    26 August 1898, page 7d,
    "The Relief of Renmark" is in the Observer,
    14 October 1899, page 2c,
    "Renmark as it Is" in the Register,
    5 October 1901, page 10a and
    "A Review of the Past Year" on
    14 January 1907, page 8h; also see
    2 November 1901, (supplement).

    "The Settlers and the Government" is in the Register,
    3, 5, 7 and 10 December 1898, pages 9c, 6d, 6d and 5f.

    "The Troubles of Renmark" is in the Register,
    19 December 1898, page 4f.

    Biographical details of F.M. Fleck are in the Register,
    9 August 1900, page 6f.

    "Golf at Renmark" is in the Register,
    7 September 1905, page 7g.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Golf.

    "The Government and Renmark" is in the Register,
    6 December 1905, page 10i.

    Information on the Anglican Church is in the Observer,
    3 March 1906, page 15b.

    "How Raisins are Made" is in the Advertiser,
    14 March 1908, page 7g.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.

    "A Serio-Comic Strike at Renmark" is in the Register,
    18 February 1909, page 7g; also see
    27 February 1909, page 7g,
    8 March 1909, page 7e.
    The "Renmark Strike" is discussed on
    7 April 1911, pages 4c-8f,
    5, 6, 8, 9, 13 and 16 May 1911, pages 8a-f, 14f, 8g, 5b, 11h and 6a,
    15 July 1911, page 8a.

    "Great Bush Fire - Raging for Five Days" is in the Register,
    1 January 1910, page 14f.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.

    Photographs of the construction of the railway are in the Observer,
    27 September 1913, page 29.
    "First Train from Adelaide" is in the Observer,
    5 February 1927, page 11a.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    5 February 1927, pages 50-51.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.

    A Show is reported in the Advertiser,
    10 September 1912, page 19a.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    28 October 1911, page 29.
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    Photographs of a ladies horse race are in the Observer,
    15 February 1913, page 31,
    of a hospital carnival on
    21 June 1913, page 32,
    the laying of the foundation stone of the hospital in the Chronicle,
    24 October 1914, page 28.

    Biographical details of Mr & Mrs F.S. Wyllie are in the Register,
    4 November 1914, page 6h.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the hospital is reported in the Observer,
    17 October 1914, page 14c;
    also seeRegister,
    9 January 1922, page 7f.

    A photograph of female residents is in the Observer,
    3 July 1915, page 29.

    Photographs of a visit by the governor are in the Observer,
    23 October 1920, page 24.
    Also see South Australia - Governors and Ancillary Matters.

    An interesting historical article on a trip from Renmark to the eastern borders is in the Advertiser,
    13 August 1921, page 13h; also see
    17 August 1921, page 12d.

    The opening of a new post office is reported in the Observer,
    31 March 1923, page 53c.

    The opening of the Soldiers' Memorial Hall is reported in the Observer,
    12 May 1923, page 43c.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    26 May 1923, page 34.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    "Renmark War on Sly Grog" is in The News,
    28 July 1923, page 5c.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Daniel Dixon is reported in the Register,
    8 July 1924, page 6h.

    A photograph of Lock 5 is in the Chronicle,
    24 October 1925, page 42,
    of a football team on
    13 June 1935, page 36,
    27 June 1935, page 38.

    The reminiscences of ex-Inspector C. LeLievre are in the Observer,
    5 December 1925, page 17a.
    Also see South Australia - Police.

    Biographical details of the Cunningham family are in the Register,
    28 March 1928, page 13b.

    A comprehensive article on the district is in the Observer,
    12 March 1927, pages 44 and 45.

    Information on the Renmark Scout Group is in The Mail,
    22 September 1928, page 21c.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    20 December 1924, page 33.
    Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts.

    "Aerial Mail to Renmark" is in the Register,
    16 April 1928, page 10.
    "By Air to Renmark" is in the Register,
    30 April 1928, page 8f.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Aeroplanes.

    The opening of a branch of the Savings Bank of SA is reported in the Register,
    2 October 1928, page 12a.
    Also see South Australia - Banking and Finance - - Banking - Savings Bank of SA and Allied Matters .

    The district is described in the Chronicle,
    29 December 1932, page 5a.

    Photographs of jubilee celebrations are in the Chronicle,
    21 October 1937, page 31,
    of a citizens' band on 28 October 1937, page 31.

    Renmark - Obituaries

    An obituary of Gibson Badger is in theRegister, 16 December 1889, page 5b.

    An obituary of William Plush are in the Register, 5 June 1914, page 10a,
    of Andrew Laidlaw on 14 August 1915, page 8h,
    of Captain A.J. Baxter on 16 October 1915, page 8h,
    of John T. Roy on 9 February 1924, page 13c,
    of William E.L. Willis on 26 May 1924, page 8h,
    of Henry T. Gibbons on 27 October 1924, page 6h,
    of William J. Burk on 23 October 1926, page 11a,
    of Frank S. Wyllie on 7 April 1927, page 8g.

    An obituary of E.R. Olorenshaw is in the Observer, 29 November 1919, page 20a,
    of D.W. Price on 22 August 1925, page 43b.

    An obituary of H.J.M. Bovill is in the Register, 5 August 1922, page 8g,
    of Joseph W. Vigar on 9 December 1922, page 8g,
    of F.M. Fleck on 9 December 1922, page 12g,
    of James Kelly on 23 January 1924, page 8h,
    of William Marshall on 13 May 1924, page 8h,
    of Stanley W. Jury on 13 September 1924, page 8h,
    of Samuel A. Springbett on 13 January 1925, page 6g,
    of Mrs Miriam C. Johnson on 12 May 1925, page 8f,
    of David W. Price on 15 August 1925, page 13e.

    An obituary of William Marshall is in the Observer,17 May 1924, page 39e,
    of Mrs S.J. Dridan on 6 February 1926, page 44a,
    of Mrs Jane Wescombe on 5 February 1927, page 44b,
    of F.S. Wylie on 9 April 1927, page 38e,
    of Alfred Thompson on 21 May 1927, page 45c,
    of H.N. Rossell on 19 November 1927, page 49c,
    of L.F. Despard on 26 May 1928, page 49b.

    An obituary of Mrs S.J. Dridan is in the Register, 29 January 1926, page 8f,
    of Laurence H. Young on 2 August 1926, page 8h,
    of Alfred Roper on 20 January 1927, page 8h,
    of Mrs Jane Wescombe on 1 February 1927, page 6g,
    of Mrs A.Malcolm and Mrs Alfred Foster on 7 June 1927, page 8h,
    of Caspar H. Peperkorn on 22 October 1927, page 11d.

    An obituary of Mrs Margaret Buchan is in the Register, 16 May 1928, page 11c,
    of David Kidd on 1 November 1928, page 13d.

    Reedbeds - Renmark