South Australia - Transport"Milestones by Road and Rail" is discussed in the Advertiser, 1 September 1936 (special edition), page 38.
- Horse Coaches
- Motor Cars and Cycles
- Railways Miscellany
- Railways - Bob, The Railway Dog
(Taken from Geoffrey H. Manning's A Colonial Experience)
If drunken men are permitted to travel, it should be in a special compartment
and the penalty against smoking should be strictly enforced.
(Register, 14 November 1882 (supp.), page 3.)
For two generations the story of the locomotive and the horse coach overlapped and, in 1854, the first line in Australia was laid between Goolwa and Port Elliot for a horse tramway to aid the development of a River Murray port.
When settlers first came one of their greatest needs was a fast means of transport between Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Bullocks and horses were used, but to the more progressive minded these animals were too slow. Then came the proposal to link up the two places with a railway. The engine and carriages proposed would be regarded as obsolete today; the locomotive was of the 'puffing-billy' type and its noisy clattering over the rails was watched with wonder by the public.
It was opened on 21 April 1856 and the great day was marked by a banquet at Port Adelaide. It is interesting to note that until about 1880 only a single line existed to Port Adelaide and trains were compelled to cross at Woodville. In that year the Adelaide Railway Station was completed on a site that was formerly a quarry; it was not a magnificent structure, but a good deal of money was spent on it. Some of the stone gathered from the quarry was used for buildings at the rear of the Public Library, where it can be seen today.
A family friend, Hugh Hayman, of Mile End, had the honour of placing the parts of the engine together for the train that first travelled on the Port Adelaide railway and was one of those who occupied a place on the foot plates when it gallantly drew its jubilant load of passengers to Adelaide. '? was guaranteed an appointment to assist Mr J.H. Clarke who was then on his way from England with the three engines and rolling stock ordered by the government', he told me. 'My appointment dated from October 1855 and was the first made in connection with the newly established Railways Department. For 27 years I served the government.'
The opening of the line for traffic was celebrated with manifestations of jubilation. The late Mr William Shakespeare, father of Inspector Shakespeare of the Adelaide Corporation, was the driver of the first engine on the track and everything passed off with perfect satisfaction. Mr Hayman remarked to me:
I well remember one incident which occurred. The warship, Falcon, was anchored at Largs Bay and a special train was required to convey Governor Daly and party from the city. Now it happened that a portion of the line was being repaired and trains could only proceed over about a mile of it at a walking pace. However, matters in those days were not manages as they are now and, instead of the usual driver being put on, a 'flash' American received instructions to take the train through. Being unacquainted with the condition of the track and having been told to do it in ten minutes he struck the bad place at a terrific speed with the result that several of the carriages were thrown off the lines and the rails spread in all directions. Fortunately, nobody was seriously injured, but the governor, although he proceeded to the warship, refused to return on the train and came back on a horse.
If Cobb and Co can run a coach
For ninepence to the Bay,
Why should Port railway passengers
Have twice as much to pay.
A line was laid to Gawler and, on 13 August 1860, the track, which had been extended to Kapunda, was declared open. An excursion train carrying 900 passengers steamed to Gawler, while at both terminals there were thousands of sightseers, flags, banners, garlands and an 'efficient' brass band. Once settlers realised the advantages of the railway they were eager for it and as a result there was a constant demand for new lines.
The element of novelty worn off, South Australia settled down to a prosaic programme of railway development, pursued with such energy that by the end of the century she was the most progressive builder, in proportion to population, in the world. By 1862 we had 57 miles, by 1907 1,833 miles - a little over 45 miles for every 10,000 people, built for £13,610,000. The activity had its germ in the Boucaut developmental policy of 1875, while his successors soared higher.
Between 1876 and 1887 1,209 miles were opened - in the north to tap the wheat country; in the far north to Farina and thence to Hergott Springs to open up pastoral wealth; in the east from Peterborough to Cockburn to draw the riches of the barrier Ranges to South Australia; to Morgan to combat Victoria's attempted stranglehold on river traffic; in the south-east from Naracoorte to Kingston and from Mount Gambier to Beachport to give sea outlets to rich farming areas.
A repercussion, perhaps, of the railway mania which crippled England, induced private enterprise to enter the field. Benjamin Boothby spent £30,000 on a line from Victoria Square to Glenelg, and Adelaide became familiar with the dismal clang of a bell as locomotives clanked along King William Street to the heart of the city.
Seven years later the Holdfast Bay Railway Company built a line from North Terrace to Glenelg and, for a few months, Adelaide was treated to a fierce rivalry of competitive fairs before the managements sank their differences in a merger under the title of the Glenelg Railway Company.
Finally came the greatest project of all, the piercing of the Adelaide hills, first as far as Aldgate, thence to Murray Bridge and eventually an extension to Melbourne. It deserves a chapter on its own, for the story is leavened with a record of perseverance and a dash of comedy.
Into the limbo of what might have been, pass conjectures of the possible outcome of the adoption of the most favoured of ten surveyed routes by way of Government House, east Park Lands, Dulwich, Fullarton, Mitcham, Brownhill Creek and so on to Nairne by way of the Hundreds of Noarlunga, Onkaparinga and Macclesfield. It was four miles shorter than the present line, but was rejected because of its steeper grade.
The government started earthworks and excavation of tunnels on the Belair route as relief work, but after £35,000 had been spent the first section between Adelaide and Mount Lofty was turned over to Walker and Swan at £182,000. There were eight tunnels to be driven, two deep ravines to be spanned and open cuts 57 feet deep to be blasted and gouged. Obstacles were surmounted and on 14 March 1883 the Nairne section was ready for opening.
The day brought a memorable fiasco. At 11 o'clock the governor, Sir William Robinson, the ministry and a distinguished party of 250, left Adelaide in a train drawn by one of the 'Yankee monsters' which, despite their heavy proportions and hideous screenings, were alleged to be the best in the world. Indeed, it was said that they could dash up the Nairne grades with an ordinary train at 30 miles per hour. That day they were confounded by their deeds.
The train drew out with a fine flourish and near Mitcham passengers gazed upon the beauties of the day and scene. The engine laboured on the first incline and in the first tunnel it panted asthmatically. On the spidery American viaduct it seemed likely to give up the ghost and passengers shrank at the thought of being thrown into the ravine far below.
The incline before the next tunnel was too much. The locomotive lurched convulsively to a standstill and it was ten minutes before it revived sufficiently to shunt back and take a second run. By dint of infinite tugging and straining it got over and crawled into Blackwood where it remained until a relief engine arrived. There most of the passengers got out to examine the ailing 'Yankee'.
To maintain a sufficient head of steam, the engineer had made the fire so fierce that the bars had melted out. Then, while remedies were being discussed, the engine suddenly puffed off with the Vice-regal and ministerial car, which had been uncoupled secretly. For over two hours 200 guests, hungry and thirsty, wandered about the incipient town of Blackwood until the relief engine arrived.
Meanwhile the governor had addressed gatherings at Mount Lofty and Aldgate and, when the 200 finally reached the terminus about four o'clock, there was the inevitable dinner garnished with speeches.
The initial farce was the precursor of a series of mishaps; a carriage went off the rails, a brake block left on the line upset another train, an engine left the line near Blackwood and another was derailed at the Adelaide platform. Yet the line lived down such an ominous start.
The next logical stage was the completion of the hills section and the crossing of the River Murray, but imagination boggled at the undertaking and the enthusiasm of legislators blew hot and cold. In a fit of optimism and energy the ironwork was imported from England and in a reaction of pessimism and parsimony it was allowed to rust at Dry Creek for years.
Finally, enterprise was warmed to execution and the spans and trusses were dragged by bullock waggon to Edward's Crossing where began the difficult task of sinking to solid rock far beneath the river bed the caissons. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Musgrave on 7 November 1873 and among the congregation were about twenty Aborigines, headed by Queen Monarto who caused much laughter when she said to His Excellency, 'Well gubner, what you give me? My old man dead; you take away this country and built a bridge. My people want you give 'em boats and food.'
In the tradition of those answering deputations the Governor paused, and then replied that he would consult with his advisers and see what could be done. The bridge was not opened for traffic until March 1879 and in 1886 it was ready for railway traffic.
In May 1886 the line to Bordertown was opened by a speech of 37 words, remarkable in a prolix age, delivered through a carriage window by the Chief Secretary, Mr J.C. Bray. In January 1887 the first express train arrived from Melbourne.
A Railway to Crafers
By the closing months of 1856 the idea of a railway through the ?Eastern Hills? was not exactly a new one in the minds of the government and some private citizens, but prior to that time the suggestions made on this subject were not characterised by much practicability. In October 1856 the Editor of the SA Register addressed the subject:
Everybody is acquainted with the nature of the road to Crafers; a road presenting a rich variety of scenery, scarcely to be equaled in any of the Australian colonies... A large amount of money has already been expended between Glen Osmond gate and the summit of the adjacent ranges; but, were twenty times as much expended, the road through the district referred to would always be toilsome and laborious in the extreme...
The Eastern ranges are a formidable barrier to that free interchange which would so greatly benefit the interests of town and country; and to many people that barrier appears both impenetrable and insurmountable. But, on the contrary, there are others who maintain the practicability of carrying our traffic either through or over the interposing ranges...
It is well known that canals have been cut through the most hilly and diversified countries, the waters being literally taken along the hillside by a system of locks and intervening levees. On a kindred principle, railways have for many years past been constructed at the great English quarries and collieries... In applying the same principles to the Glen Osmond Road, it would be necessary to adapt it with those modifications suggested by canal contrivances. As the ascending and descending train must be connected by one chain or cable, it follows that the space to be worked must not be too long, or a cable would be required of such prodigious strength that its weight alone would be fatal to the undertaking.
We are informed that a gentleman in Adelaide has so far convinced himself of the practicability of the idea that he would, at his own personal risk, undertake to carry it out for a very moderate sum. He would construct three series of levels, or gradients of an easy application, and the termination of each would be prepared for the ascent of the carriages. At the top of this incline a drum would be fixed, around which would pass the cable used for connecting the ascending and descending trains. Of course, the trains would both ascend and descend upon the same face of the inclined platform, a double set of rails being laid, with the revolving drum in the centre at the summit.
The descending trains would be laden with wheat and country produce, or with stone and firewood, In some places, where there is no down traffic, the descending force consists of water tanks, which are fixed on carriages and descend full, the water being let off at the bottom of the incline, and the goods taken out of the track at the top. The water tank being lighter than the goods? truck, the latter descends by gravity, bringing up the former.
The gentleman to whom we refer professes his readiness to contract for the execution for a railway of this description for £3,000 per mile, with £3,000 extra for esch lift... Considering the cost of constructing and repairing macadamised roads and considering the utter impossibility of ever having an easy road with such gradients as prevail between Glen Osmond and the top of the south-eastern ranges, we think the suggestion herein advanced may not be unworthy of attention...
Also see Adelaide - Transport.
Source - Register, 4 October 1856, page 2.
Railways of the Lower South East
(Taken from an unpublished manuscript by G.H. Manning titled " A Social History of the Lower South East in the 19th Century.)
A volume could be written about the various railway schemes proposed for the south eastern districts to the seaboard and a halo of romance might be thrown around the story if the writer recounted the countless battles fought over the rival routes. However, it can be stated positively that the railways in the South East were built without a definite plan and merely to appease local demands.
In 1866, Rev J.E. Tenison Woods, then domiciled at Penola, said a tramway from MacDonnell Bay to Penola would give the largest amount of convenience to the settlers, while one from Guichen Bay to Penola would shut off a large portion of the south end of the district because, "the most important part of the district lies to the south of Penola". The most expensive tramway would, in his opinion, be from Lacepede Bay to Penola because of the swamps that had to be drained, which was essential, because a tramway built across them would dam up the whole of the drainage that flowed to the north-west.
There never were railway schemes so stretched, twisted and inverted as those proposed for the South East over several decades. In 1867 they commenced a chequered career under the auspices of Mr Santo who proposed to connect Naracoorte with Mount Gambier, without giving either of them an outlet to the seaboard. In that year a Bill was passed authorising a loan of £300,000 for its construction and, notwithstanding the absurdity of making a town 17 miles inland the terminus of such a line, people were satisfied to attribute it to inconsideration rather than injustice. Another line from Lacepede Bay to Naracoorte was also promised at this time
In the next session these proposals were shelved altogether and the district, after being cheated out of a year's expenditure upon its roads in this way, was only slightly better off as to its facilities for traffic at before the apparent, but delusive, willingness to concede justice to the South East, was proclaimed.
Later that year, the Ministry of the day proposed a policy of development for the South East by means of a comprehensive railway system, but without any connection to Adelaide. Their scheme was announced in the last session of parliament when a Bill was passed to authorise the construction of that isolated abortion and, in 1869, it was still on the Statute Book, but a little later in that year a ?half moon scheme? was propounded and recommended as comprising:
A new line from Lacepede Bay to the boundary, with a branch to Narracoorte [sic] and then via Penola to Mount Gambier and MacDonnell Bay.
In the semi-circular scheme there was a very strong mixture of the childish with the useful. It properly consisted of two schemes, either of which by itself would have been highly commendable, but their amalgamation, so far from improving them, wasted money to spoil them. The northern and southern sections of the district had nothing in common with each other but a violent feeling of emulation, the natural cure for which was not a forced union, but independence.
They were physically separated from each other by a broad tract of inferior country which hardly required one, instead of a double, connection with the seaboard. The two ports which were so incongruously allied had every prospect of finding sufficient trade without infringing on each other.
To these parliamentary machinations the Border Watch replied:
A Railway is promised; a Bill is passed; a pretence made of surveying a line; then the project is unceremoniously strangled! The prurient mountain brings forth only abortions. Ministers doubtless chuckle at the success of their litle game in the provinces and after the manner of Cheap John they might advertise:
- Sold Again and Got the Money!
Great Success in the South East!
- £20,000 cash
- Proceeds of Last Land Sale,
- The Adelaide Park Lands,
- River Torrens.
The Bill was rushed through the Committee stages and £305,000 was allotted to the Lacepede Bay to Naracoorte line, £125,000 for Naracoorte to the Border, £320,000 for Naracoorte to Gambierton and £100,000 for Gambierton to Port MacDonnell and to this the Editor of the Register opined:
How to select from these sections... is the last difficulty which confronts the Committee. The discussion on Thursday foreshadowed a great diversity of choice - some going with Mr Riddoch for the southern line only and others with Mr Everard for the Lacepede Bay end. The two sections which appear to us in greatest danger of proving premature are the branch from Naracoorte to the Border and the middle link between Naracoorte and Penola...
The Lacepedians ridiculed the idea of making a line from one inland town to another as all plant and material would have to be carted from MacDonnell Bay at the one end and at the other from Lacepede Bay to Naracoorte, over a track almost impassable to heavy traffic. They also pleaded for the commencement of a line to Lacepede Bay.
The government was unmoved and the Bill passed through both Houses, but the measure contained no authority for issuing a loan for the cost of construction. In 1868 a party of "retrenchment" was formed and its leader, Mr H.R. Fuller, obtained leave to introduce a Bill to repeal the Act and only withdrew it when the Premier, Mr Strangways, gave an assurance that no steps would be taken in the matter until after the next meeting of Parliament.
Galvanised into action the Editor of the Border Watch entered the fray on behalf his "neck of the woods":
Settlers of the South East and squatters of the Victorian border, do you long for the advent of the ?good time? when your wool is to be conveyed to the sea by the iron horse, finding its way to Adelaide via that noble and placid bay, yclept Port Caroline! The projected railway from Port Caroline to Naracoorte was insane enough in all good conscience, but that to the border via Cockatoo Lake is infinitely more so. We defy the government to project a more ridiculous undertaking.
We should like to be able to give at least a little tacit support to the Port Caroline and Border Railway. But we must confess we are too intimately acquainted with the district to be able to do so. We have grave doubts as to our railway projects, even under the most favourable auspices. We think it is possible the Railway Commission will find that we have been attempting to get along too fast..
But if railways are to be proceeded with, they should only be constructed where there was at least some show to be made of returns... We say emphatically any system of railways for the South East should start at Port MacDonnell, it would pay nowhere else in the South East... This Lacepede Bay line starts from nowhere and goes nowhere...
A few words on the action taken by Port MacDonnell end of the South East last session in reference to the proposed railway -. It did not originate (as the Wallaroo Times said) with an English company. It was entirely a government scheme. They proposed what was thought to be absurd - a loop-line from one port to another - and when the Bill came into the House of Assembly it was evident that the Port MacDonnell and Mount Gambier people did not want it. Indignation meetings were held and their member primed to oppose the Bill unless the line was granted for the whole distance. It passed the Assembly but lapsed in the Legislative Council.
A Robe-ite, not comprehending that his town was doomed to isolation as far as the legislature was concerned, expressed his opinions in December 1869 while a civil engineer passed a scathing opinion upon the proposals:
For years past Guichen Bay has done a steady trade of some 8,000 bales of wool... At the present moment a wool ship of 600 tons is loading direct for London and a schooner is alongside the jetty taking in manure... Lacepede Bay is an excellent harbour of refuge but not a good port for it is quite unprotected from the wind and is deficient in good holding ground... In the gale of May 1865 the Lacepede Bay jetty was injured in common with nearly every jetty along the coast. The old rotten jetty at Guichen bay was unaffected and not a boat injured. At that time the Boomerang was ashore at Lacepede Bay and remained there until the following May.... Do not let us add 60 miles of railway over sand, swamps and heaths in the vain notion that produce will go westward that distance by land in order to come back by sea past the other end of the railway on its way to the inevitable ultimate port of Melbourne; for who, would I ask, would dream of shipping wheat to Adelaide?...
It appears incredible that this Bill should ever pass and it is quite time that the eyes of our legislators should be opened before they are committed to such a monstrous piece of folly.
At the close of 1876, and with a Mount Gambier to Rivoli Bay railway mooted, the Border Watch became staunch supporters of a railway to Casterton, a distance of about 40 miles:
- With a railway direct from Rivoli Bay to Melbourne and a tolerably fast steamer between Rivoli Bay and Adelaide, the capitals of South Australia and Victoria would be brought within 30 hours of one another - thus effecting a saving of nearly a day on the sea route and over two days on the present overland journey... Our Portland contemporary is somewhat alarmed at our proposal to invade Victorian territory with the iron horse. Our scheme is set down as a daring attempt to tap the Western District and to divert the traffic that ought to find its way to Portland, to Rivoli Bay... It savours too much of the dog-in-the manger to advocate railway making merely to prevent trade from finding an outlet at its natural port simply because that port happens to belong to a neighbour.
If Mount Gambier people wish to go to Portland, let them go; and if Penola people want to go to Rivoli Bay, let them go and let them mind their own business. The question before the House was how to connect Naracoorte with the seaboard... At one end of the Kingston line, too, there was a sanguine and enthusiastic Mr James Cooke and at the other end the Naracoorte Herald writing strongly in favour of the line to Naracoorte.
"The First Train", interesting reminiscences by H.W. Hayman, is in the Register,
25 November 1905, page 9g.
A photograph is in the Observer,
22 May 1926, page 34.
Biographical details of H.V. Hayman are in the Observer,
21 April 1928, page 34c and an obituary of his wife on 26 May 1928, page 45b.
"Early Railways" is in the Register,
22 January 1926, page 10f.
"The Public Works Policy - Railways" is in the Register,
21 June 1887, page 5c (supp.).
"State's First Railway Enquiry" is in the Observer,
5 June 1930, page 45a.
"A Red Letter Day - Our First Rail Journey" is in the Observer,
12 February 1921, page 45d.
"South Australia's First Line" is in The Mail,
26 September 1925, page 1a,
"Days of Puffing Billies" on 28 April 1928, page 1a.
"Early Days in Railway Service", the reminiscences of W. Whittle, is in the Observer,
10 July 1915, page 33a;
also see 10 July 1915, page 49e.
A presentation to John Whittle is reported in the Register,
12 August 1881, page 5a;
his reminiscences are in the Register,
5 July 1915, page 6d.
"Railways in South Australia" is discussed in the Register,
15 and 22 September 1847, pages 3b and 2d,
21 and 24 June 1848, pages 1 (supp.) and 4a,
21 November 1849 (supp.),
30 August 1850, pages 2a-3a,
3 and 11 September 1850, pages 2e and 2e,
7 March 1861, page 3a.
"Railways in the Early Days" is in the Advertiser,
8 October 1927, page 11f.
A photograph of the colony's first railway coach is in the Chronicle,
24 December 1936, page 28.
Mr Chauncy's report on the survey of the northern railway is in the Observer,
31 August 1850, page 2e (supp.).
"Tramroads in the Colony" is in the Register,
8, 15 and 22 August 1853, pages 2a, 2f and 2f.
Also see Port Adelaide - Transport
"Railroads" is in the Observer,
3 June 1854, page 5a.
"Judge Boothby's Railway Scheme" is in the Register,
26 February 1855, page 2c.
"Railway Dangers and Safeguards" is in the Register,
23 April 1856, page 2c.
"Railway Management" is in the Register,
2 January 1859, page 2e.
Information on a railway's cricket club is in the Observer,
27 September 1862, page 1d (supp.).
The dismissal of Mr C.S. Hare, Manager of Railways, is reported in the Express,
9 May 1865, page 2b,
13 May 1865, page 4d;
also see Express,
9 May 1867, page 3e.
An obituary is in the Express,
24 July 1882, page 2b.
Reminiscences of early railways are in the Register,
31 May 1891, page 9e,
"Early Railways - Proposals in the Fifties" in the Observer,
30 January 1926, page 16a.
"Northern Railways" is in the South Australian,
4 January 1850, page 2a and
27 January 1854, page 2e.
Mr Chauncy's Report on the Survey of the Northern Railway" is in the Observer,
31 August 1850, page 2e (supp.).
"Public Works - Adelaide City - Port Railway" is in the Observer,
10 February 1855, page 7h.
Also see under "Port Adelaide".
"Level Crossings on Railways" is in the Observer,
24 November 1855, page 4d,
"Railway Crossings" in the Register,
6 June 1868, page 2f.
Information on watch boxes at level crossings is in the Observer,
9 January 1869, page 16a.
A lecture by B.H. Babbage on "The Adaption of Iron Tramways to Common Roads" is reproduced in the Register,
26 March 1856, page 3d.
"A Railway to Crafers" is in the Observer,
4 October 1856, page 1c (supp.)
A lecture on the history of railways in South Australia is reproduced in the Observer,
11 June 1859, page 2f.
The role of tramways vis a vis railways is discussed in the Register,
16 and 27 June 1857, pages 2d and 2e-3d;
also see 1 September 1857, page 2c,
2 October 1858, page 2e.
A sketch of a tramway 'through the mallees scrub' is in the Illustrated Adelaide Post,
19 May 1868, page 76.
"Railway Over Mt Lofty" is in the Observer,
8 August 1857, page 5d.
"The Railway Reports" is in the Observer,
29 August 1857, page 2c (supp.),
"Railway Management" on 29 May 1858, page 1a (supp.).
"The Railway Labourers" is in the Register,
1 March 1859, page 2g.
"Railway Accidents" is in the Register,
13 January 1860, page 2h,
Observer, 14 January 1860, page 5d,
Register, 28 October 1862, page 2e.
A railway accident on the northern line is reported in the Observer,
21 February 1863, page 3b.
A fatal railway accident is reported in the Observer,
14 March 1874, page 6f.
"A Serious Railway Accident" is in the Chronicle,
1 May 1886, page 7a.
"Our Railway System" is in the Observer,
19 May 1860, page 6c,
15 May 1860, page 2g.
"Adelaide and Mount Barker Railway" is in the Register,
18 June 1861, page 2f.
"The plight of "railway officers" is in the Register,
10 September 1861, page 3a.
"The Railway" is in the Register,
14 March 1864, page 3e,
19 March 1864, page 2a (supp.),
"The Port Augusta Railway" on 18 June 1864, page 2e (supp.).
A passenger railway carriage on the Gawler-Kapunda line is described in the Observer,
26 November 1864, page 5f.
"Selling the Railways" is in the Observer,
25 February 1865, page 6e,
2 April 1865, page 5h,
"Leasing the Railways" in the Register,
27 October 1865, page 2g.
"A Proposed Railway Company" is in the Register,
17 June 1865, page 2e.
"Mr Strangways and the Sale of the Railways" is in the Chronicle,
3 March 1866, page 4g.
The local manufacture of a carriage for the Kadina & Wallaroo railway is discussed in the Register,
18 June 1866, page 2h. "Railways" is in the Register,
15 August 1866, page 2c.
"Construction of Iron Roads" is in the Register,
23 and 30 October 1866, pages 2d and 2b.
"Cheap Railways" is in the Register,
30 November 1866, page 2c.
"Railway Gauges" is in the Register,
9 January 1867, page 2e,
7 September 1867, page 2b,
5 October 1867, page 2d,
11 November 1871, page 13c,
5 January 1884, page 36d,
9 February 1884, page 30c,
8 and 15 March 1884, pages 35e and 30b,
"The Break of Gauge Difficulty" is in the Register,
3 January 1884, pages 4g-7b,
2, 6 and 29 February 1884, pages 5b, 5c and 7a,
21 and 26 August 1884, pages 4f and 7f,
10 September 1884, page 4e,
11 September 1885, pages 5a-6d,
23 November 1885, page 5c,
13 February 1886, page 6d,
15 November 1887, page 5a,
22 August 1888, page 5b,
20 September 1889, page 5b,
12 October 1889, page 5b,
13 September 1884, page 24d,
18 April 1885, page 5g,
7 May 1887, page 5a,
26 April 1888, page 5a,
23 May 1888, page 5b,
8 June 1888, pages 5a-7f, 17 and 20 November 1888, pages 7c and 6g,
17 and 21 May 1889, pages 5a and 5b,
17 October 1889, pages 4e-5b,
4 May 1910, page 10f.
"The Railway Gauges" is in the Observer,
4 August 1923, page 31c,
15 September 1927, page 10e.
Also see Advertiser,
26 July 1912, page 8f,
10 September 1912, page 14e,
28 February 1914, page 9e;
also see Register,
1 August 1922, page 6f,
15 September 1922, page 13e,
28 May 1926, page 12e,
14 January 1929, page 12d,
6 and 23 May 1929, pages 8f and 8g,
20 February 1930, page 14e.
Information on the State carriage used during the visit of Prince Alfred is in the Register,
8 October 1867, page 2g,
19 October 1867, page 1g (extra supp.). Also see Royal Visits.
Information on the loop line from Dry Creek to Port Adelaide is in the Observer,
19 October 1867, page 1d (extra supp.).
"Free Railway Passes" is in the Express,
2 December 1867, page 2d,
14 October 1902, page 4d.
"The Railway Committee and the New Lines" is in the Register,
29 January 1869, page 3c,
"The Select Committee on Railways" on 16 December 1868, page 2d.
"Railway Watch-Boxes" is in the Register,
5 January 1869, page 2e.
"Engineering Works in Progress" is in the Register,
8, 13, 24 and 25 May 1869, pages 2e, 2c, 2d and 2f.
"Railway Maintenance in 1868" is in the Register,
11 October 1869, page 3a.
A comprehensive dissertation upon the railways in South Australia is to be found in the Register,
29 June 1870, page 5f;
also see 6 April 1871, page 4f where the difference between "Railways" and "Tramways" is explained and 10 June 1871, page 4d,
Parliamentary Paper 72/1853.
A lecture on railway construction is reproduced in the Observer,
2 July 1870, page 10;
also see 16 and 23 July 1870, pages 10d and 13d. "Condition of the Railways" is in the Register,
16 August 1870, page 4e.
The use of firewood on railways is discussed in the Observer,
30 July 1870, page 5a.
"Mr Mais and the Government" is in the Chronicle,
17 and 24 September 1870, pages 11g and 12a.
"The Charge Against Mr Mais" is in the Chronicle,
3 September 1887, pages 4c-12c,
15 October 1887, page 4f, 26 November 1887, page 4f.
A presentation to Mr Mais is reported in the Register,
20 August 1888, pages 5a-7a.
An obituary of H.C. Mais is in the Observer,
4 March 1916, page 39b.
The danger from fires caused by locomotives is discussed in the Register,
16 June 1871, page 4f, Observer,
24 June 1871, page 13a.
"Horse Railways" is in the Express,
21 September 1871, page 3g.
"Railway Gauges" is in the Observer,
11 November 1871, page 13c.
"Tapping the Northern Areas" and a report from Mr Goyder on "the most economical line for a tramway" are in the Register,
19 February 1872, page 4e.
"Wire Tramways" is in the Chronicle,
16 March 1872, page 11e.
"To Clare and Back" is in the Observer,
4 May 1872, page 13f.
"The Transcontinental Railway" is in the Chronicle,
22 and 29 June 1872, pages 4f and 4g,
6 July 1872, page 4f.
A cartoon relative to the proposed railway to Darwin is in the Chronicle,
22 November 1902, page 31,
"The Transcontinental Railway" (north-south) is the subject of debate in the Register,
20 and 22 January 1881, pages 6a and 5e,
22 March 1881, page 4e-5g,
7, 23 and 30 April 1881, pages 5e, 5f and 6a,
11 May 1881, page 6g,
3 August 1881 (supp.), page 2g,
26 and 30 November 1881, pages 7a and 6d,
2 February 1883, page 7a, 18 May 1883, page 7a,
4, 11, 13 and 16 June 1883, pages 7e, 4e, 2f (supp.) and 6f.
"Adelaide and Darwin Railway" is in the Register,
27 March 1912, page 6d-f,
25 May 1922, page 7c,
6 and 27 November 1922, pages 10e and 9b,
4 December 1922, page 11d.
Also see Observer,
13 and 27 May 1922, pages 8a and 19a,
9 and 30 May 1925, pages 16c and 16a,
20 February 1926, page 46.
Photographs are in the Observer,
20 December 1913, page 31,
21 March 1914, pages 30-31,
29 January 1927, page 31.
"Some Interesting Records - North-South Railway" is in the Observer,
14 August 1926, page 18a.
"The Great Northern Railway" is in the Register,
15, 16 and 18 May 1882, pages 6a, 4d and 6a.
A proposed extension of the northern railway to Primrose Springs is canvassed in the Register
23 and 25 July 1883, pages 4f.
"The North-South Line - Evidence by Stock Owners" is in the Observer,
18 and 25 June 1921, pages 21a and 30c,
"Some Interesting Records" is in the Register,
28 July 1926, page 5g.
"Turning the First Sod" on 19, 20 and 22 January 1927, pages 10, 8c and 9a;
also see 28 September 1927, page 9c.
"A Journey to the Railhead" appears on 3 February 1928, page 10a;
also see Observer,
10 August 1929, page 43c.
"Railways in the South-East" is in the Observer,
5 October 1872, page 3a.
"Embezzlement in the Railway Department" is in the Observer,
8 February 1873, page 13b.
"Railway Grievances" is in the Register,
2 July 1873, page 6c.
"Our Railways" is in theRegister,
4 August 1873, page 4f,
9 August 1873, page 13d.
"Labour for Railway Construction" is in the Register,
8 January 1874, page 6f.
"Railway Accidents" is in the Register,
6 June 1874, page 4f.
A proposed line to the River Murray is discussed in The Lantern,
26 September 1874, page 4c,
24 October 1874, page 4a.
The government railway workshops are described in the Register,
18 February 1875, page 5e;
also see Express,
17 January 1889, page 2c.
See note under "Adelaide".
"Railway Management" is in the Register,
25 February 1875, page 4f.
"Air-brakes for Trains" is in the Register,
15 November 1875, page 5b.
The testing of a Westinghouse air-brake is reported in the Observer,
20 November 1875, page 8a-14d;
also see Register,
11 October 1890, page 6d,
18 October 1890, page 5d,
24 January 1891, page 34a.
"Railway Passes for the Destitute" is in the Observer,
22 April 1876, page 7e.
A presentation to Richard Bliss is reported in the Register,
14 December 1876, page 5d.
"The Railway Works and the Immigrants" is in the Register,
5 February 1877, page 6b,
10 February 1877, pages 10b and 13c.
"Railway Discomforts" is in the Register,
14 April 1877, page 5e,
21 April 1877, page 10c.
"Colonial Ironworkers and the Government" is in the Register,
24 and 29 May 1877, pages 4c and 4d.
"A Caution to Travellers" on railways of "the sharp practice of the booking clerks at the Adelaide Railway Station" is in the Register,
17 August 1877, page 5g.
An editorial "Railway to Victoria via Mount Barker" is in the Register,
18 August 1877, page 4c;
also see 28 and 30 August 1878, pages 6e and 6b, 2, 14 (supp.), and
23 September 1878, pages 6b, 3a-b and 6f,
7, 9 and 21 November 1878, pages 5f, 4d-5a, 6e,
11 July 1879, page 5e,
7 November 1879, page 5f.
A poem is in the Observer,
3 August 1878, page 12f.
"The Nairne Railway Bridges" is in the Register,
10 November 1880, pages 4c-5d.
Also see Register,
12 February 1880, page 5f,
20 May 1880, page 6b,
2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 16 November 1880, pages 5f-g, 5f, 5c, 4c-6a, 6g, 5d and 5c,
3 March 1881, page 4g,
7 and 8 October 1881, pages 5f.
Its opening, etc, are reported on 13, 14 and 15 March 1883, pages 5g, 4e and 4d-4g-5e.
Also see 27 and 28 November 1883, pages 6a and 4d-6c.
A raid on a suspected "sly-grogger" at Nairne railway camps is reported in the Register,
4 and 5 April 1881, pages 6f and 5b;
also see 4 and 5 May 1881, pages 5a and 5b.
Sketches of a fatal affray are in Frearson's Weekly,
6 November 1880, page 549,
of viaducts in the Pictorial Australian in April 1883, page 57.
A cartoon is in The Lantern, 17 March 1883.
"The Blackwood Viaducts" is in the Express,
8 April 1891, page 5b,
12 November 1891, page 3d,
"The Hills Viaducts" in the Register,
17 October 1895, page 7h.
A photograph of a train crossing viaducts in the Mt Lofty range is in the Chronicle,
16 December 1905, page 9 (supp.),
"Hills Viaduct Criticised" is in the Register,
1 November 1913, page 15c.
"Last Train Over Hills Viaduct" is in the Register,
17 April 1919, page 6f.
The reminiscences of Mounted Constable Donegan are in the Observer,
12 May 1906, page 49b.
"Chinese Labour and the Port Augusta Railway" is in the Observer,
12 January 1878, page 6f.
"The Kapunda and North-West Bend Railway" is in the Register,
17 August 1878, page 5f,
14 September 1878, pages 4e-6b.
"Inter-colonial Railways" is in the Register,
21 October 1878, page 4d.
"Railway Progress in 1878" is in the Register,
27 December 1878, page 5e and public works during 1880 on 30 December 1880, page 6c.
"Railway Muddling" is in the Express,
24 and 25 April 1878, pages 3b and 2c.
"Railway Surveys in the Mount Lofty Range" is in the Express,
26 July 1878, page 2g.
"Trial Trip on the North-West Bend Railway" is in the Chronicle,
21 September 1878, page 3a.
"A Flying Trip North" is in the Observer,
15 February 1879, page 20f.
"Free Passes to Working Men" is in the Observer,
22 March 1879, page 12e.
"Railway Mismanagement" is in the Observer,
19 April 1879, page 11a.
"Railway Management in Court" is in the Register,
2 May 1879, page 4c.
"Government Railways and the Labour Market" is in the Register,
5 July 1879, page 5b.
"Railway Workshops" is in the Register,
5 August 1879, page 6g.
A report on SA railways is in the Register,
26 and 27 September 1879, pages 6a and 4d.
A report on a railway velocipede is in the Express,
12 March 1880, page 2c,
of a trial of a steam car on 7 May 1880, page 2c.
"A Navvies' Strike" is in the Express,
1 and 8 November 1880, pages 2c and 3c.
"The Railway Passenger Traffic" is in the Register,
27 November 1880, page 4d.
"Railway Freights" is in the Register,
27 and 29 January 1881, pages 4c and 7a.
"Railway Train Signals" is in the Chronicle,
14 May 1881, page 5b.
A presentation to J.W.B. Croft is reported in the Register,
9 July 1881, page 7b.
"The Government Railway Policy" is in the Register,
15 July 1881, pages 4d-5b.
An alarm apparatus for trains is discussed in the Observer,
24 September 1881, page 33d.
"The Port Augusta Rail Swindle" is in the Chronicle,
9 July 1881, pages 4d-9f.
"The Government Railway Policy" is in the Register,
10 July 1878, page 4e,
15 July 1881, page 3c.
"Public Works Commission" is in the Register,
30 and 31 July 1880, pages 6d and 4d.
"The Port Augusta and Government Gums Railway" is in the Chronicle,
24 and 31 December 1881, pages 6c and 5f,
7 January 1882, page 18c,
"Port Augusta and Farina, Quorn and Orroroo Railways" on 13,
20 and 27 May 1882, pages 9d, 9 and 9a.
Sketches of the opening of the line to Farina are in the Pictorial Australian in June 1882, page 88.
"The Proposed Intercolonial Railway" is in the Chronicle,
19 August 1882, page 6e,
"The Intercolonial Railway" in the Express,
15, 16 and 18 February 1886, pages 3c, 3e and 4a,
10 March 1886, page 6d.
"The Safe Working of Railway Traffic" is in the Register,
9 March 1882, page 6b.
"The Tatiara and Border Town Railway" is in the Chronicle,
23 September 1882, page 4f.
"The Safe Working of Railway Traffic" is in the Observer,
25 March 1882, page 31d,
"Inter-colonial Railway Communication" on 19 August 1882, page 33a.
"Railway Refreshment Rooms" is in the Register,
2 October 1882, page 5b,
8 November 1882, page 5a.
A poem titled "On the Railway Refreshment Bill" is in the Observer,
25 November 1882, page 26a;
also see Register,
16 April 1906, page 4e,
9 and 17 December 1924, pages 9c and 9h.
"Railway Refreshment Rooms" is in the Register,
11 June 1925, page 9d,
"Railway Restaurants" in The Mail,
14 November 1925, page 14d.
"Making Railways in the Colony" is in the Register,
5 January 1883, page 6d.
Safety appliances are discussed in the Observer,
24 February 1883, page 31b,
12 May 1883, page 7e.
"More Railway Blundering" is in the Register,
9 April 1883, page 4f.
"Mason's Crossing v Bridgeport" is in the Chronicle,
14 April 1883, page 5a,
16 June 1883, page 5b.
"The Battle of the Bridges" is in the Register,
11 June 1883, page 6c.
Information on automatic double-gauge wheels is in the Observer,
26 May 1883, page 35a.
Information on and sketches of an accident on the "great northern line" are in Frearson's Weekly,
June 1883, pages 279 and 281.
"The New Railway Rolling-Stock" is in the Observer,
6 October 1883, page 35c,
"The Manufacture of Rolling-Stock in SA" in the
23 January 1884, page 6f.
"Railway Management" is in the Register,
8 October 1883, page 4d,
31 January 1884, page 4f,
"Our Railways" on 25 October 1883, page 4f.
"The Railway to Queensland" is in the Register,
22 November 1883, page 6d-g.
"Brake Power on the Railways" is in the Register,
17 January 1884, pages 4e-6e,
21 February 1885, page 5d.
"The Runaway Train on the Hills Railway" is in the Register,
15 February 1884, page 2c (supp.),
16 February 1884, page 4d.
"The Desert Railway Route" is in the Register,
25 March 1884, page 7c.
Information on passenger trains is in the Express,
4 January 1884, page 2c.
"Evidence on Railway Accidents" is in the Register,
18 March 1884, page 4e;
also see 31 July 1888, page 4g.
Labourers cottages on railway lines are discussed in the Register,
18 April 1884, page 7e,
19 April 1884, page 12d,
5 July 1893, page 5a.
"Mr Mais's Observations on Railways" is in the Register,
6 May 1884, pages 4d-7c.
"Railway to the Barrier" is in the Register,
24, 26 and 30 June 1884, pages 5h, 7a and 5a,
24 July 1884, page 5f.
"The Mount Barker and Strathalbyn Railway" is in the Observer,
28 June 1884, page 33b.
A photograph of the first train to Strathalbyn in 1884 is in the Chronicle,
25 April 1935, page 34. "How the Railways Are Managed" is in the Register,
11 July 1884, page 4e.
"The Railways Commission" is in the Register,
1 and 2 October 1884, pages 4d-2b (supp.), 2 October 1884, page 4e.
"Rival Routes to Riverton" is in the Observer,
4 October 1884, page 33d.
"Railway Employee Cottages" is in the Chronicle,
4 October 1884, page 21e.
"The Locomotive Railway Picnic" is in the Chronicle,
15 November 1884, page 21g.
A railway picnic at Balhannah is reported in the Chronicle,
6 December 1890, page 7e,
6 March 1893, page 4b,
12 March 1894, page 2g,
14 March 1898, page 4d,
24 February 1902, page 4b.
"Sunday Railway Picnics" is in the Express,
3 February 1916, page 4f.
"Railway Return Tickets" is in the Express,
12 November 1884, page 6e.
"From Nairne to Murray Bridge" is in the Register,
24 February 1885, page 6a,
28 February 1885, page 36e,
"Our Railways" is in the Express,
8, 15 and 22 April 1885, pages 6d, 6c and 6d,
"Our Hills Railway" in The Mail,
22 September 1934, page 1.
"Making Railway Carriages in the Colony" is in theObserver,
6 January 1883, page 31a.
Information on railway tunnels is in the Express,
12 February 1883, page 2c,
"The State's Biggest Tunnel" is in the Advertiser,
8 November 1917, page 4d.
"Railway Routes to the Barrier" is in the Register,
7 June 1883, page 5a,
"Silverton Railway" on 3 February 1886, page 4g.
"Sunday Trains on the Gawler Line" is in the Observer,
27 October 1883, page 30d.
"Railway Signalling" is in the Register,
12 February 1885, page 6e.
"The Patterson Enquiry Board" is in the Register,
25 February 1885, pages 4f-6c,
16 March 1885, pages 5a-7a;
also see 31 March 1885, page 6g.
"Railway Muddles in the South" is in the Register,
20 April 1885, page 5b.
A trial of an automatic vacuum brake is reported in the Register,
7 May 1885, page 5h,
2 and 16 May 1885, pages 31a and 13e;
also see 10 July 1886, page 32e.
"Anomalous Railway Fares" is in the Register,
23 June 1885, page 5b.
"Railway Management" is in the Register,
26 June 1885, page 4g,
18 March 1886, page 4e,
"The Railway Board" on 11, 15 and 29 July 1885, pages 4f, 4c and 4d.
"Some Eccentric Bells" is in the Register,
6 August 1885, page 4f.
"The Holidays and Railway Traffic" is in the Register,
25 December 1885, page 4h,
"Our Railway Management" on 25 December 1885, page 7f,
"The New Railway Fares" on 29 and 30 December 1885, pages 4f and 4g.
"The Port and Semaphore Lines" is in the Observer,
2 January 1886, page 31d.
"Railway Construction and Management" is in the Register,
13 February 1886, page 4h.
"The Overland Railway" is in the Register,
15, 16 and 17 February 1886, pages 6a, 6b and 6d,
1 May 1886, page 4f.
"The Future of Our Railways" is in the Register,
23 March 1886, page 4f.
"The Chinese Labour Question" is in the Register,
22 May 1886, page 7d.
"Funeral of Driver Osenton" is in the Register,
31 May 1886, page 5c.
"Public Works Past and Future" is in the Register,
4 June 1886, page 3e.
A banquet to Thomas Haig, railway contractor, is reported in the Register,
14 September 1886, page 5c.
"Railway Excursion Fares" is in the Register,
18 September 1886, page 4h.
"Free Railway Passes" is in the Register,
28 October 1886, page 4g.
A presentation to J.R. Mann is reported in theRegister,
3 January 1887, page 5b.
A trip from Peterborough to Silverton, NSW, is described in the Observer,
9 and 30 April 1887, pages 41c and 42e.
"A Talk About Railway Management" is in the Observer,
23 April 1887, page 36a.
A proposed railway employees' association is discussed in the Register,
27 April 1887, page 7e,
6 June 1887, page 7f,
10 December 1887, page 6g,
27 June 1889, page 7c,
27 April 1887, page 4d,
28 May 1887, page 3c,
10 December 1887, page 3c,
22 December 1888, page 3c,
16 and 17 June 1892, pages 2f and 2b.
Industrial matters are discussed in the Register,
27, 28 and 29 November 1889, pages 4h-5b-6c, 4f-6b and 4g-5b-7a,
4, 5, 13, 14, 18, 19 and 21 December 1889, pages 4g, 7d, 4g-6b, 4g-6f-7e, 4g, 4h, 4g and 4f,
27 February 1890, page 5a,
3 March 1890, page 7c,
21 June 1890, pages 4e-6d.
Information on an imported wooden cottage for use in connection with the northern railway is in the Express,
27 and 30 April 1887, pages 7c and 4c.
"Making Locomotive Engines in the Colony" is in the Chronicle,
7 May 1887, page 5e.
"The Construction of Locomotives" is in the Express,
19 September 1887, page 2b.
The manufacture of locomotive engines is discussed in the Observer,
18 February 1888, page 24d,
3 July 1888, page 6h.
"The Locomotive Industry" is in the Register,
11, 12 and 30 April 1890, pages 4e-5g, 4f-6b and 4h, 16 June 1890, page 5b.
The first locomotive South Australia is reported upon in the Advertiser,
12 April 1890, pages 4d-5e;
also see Express,
26 March 1890, page 6d,
12 April 1890, page 2f,
7 December 1892, page 3c,
4 April 1898, page 2c,
5 and 12 May 1891, pages 4h and 5b-6a,
10 June 1891, page 5b,
9 April 1898, page 42a.
"South Australia's First Locomotive" built in 1888-90 is in the
11 April 1910, page 9d.
The local manufacture of locomotives is discussed on 5 April 1898, pages 4e-i-7e.
"Transcontinental Railway Committee - From Quorn to Coward Springs" is in the Chronicle,
7 May 1887, page 6a.
Biographical details of Albert E. Stuart are in the Register,
25 June 1887, page 5b;
also see 11 July 1887, page 7c,
4 August 1887, pages 4h-7h.
An interview with Messrs Gray Brothers, ironwork contractors, is reported in the Register,
13 June 1887, page 7b.
Improved lighting for railway carriages is reported in the Register,
10 November 1887, page 5a,
19 November 1887, page 30a;
also see Observer,
13 June 1891, page 27e,
15 October 1898, page 14d,
15 and 16 June 1891, pages 5c and 5c,
7 May 1897, page 7d,
7 June 1897, page 6b,
8 October 1898, page 6d.
The lighting of railway carriages is discussed in the Express,
8 February 1889, page 2c, "Electric Lighting on the Railways" is in the Register,
13 September 1892, page 6c.
"Better Lighting on Trains" is in the Advertiser,
8 October 1898, page 8c.
Information on refrigerating cars is in the Register,
12 October 1889, page 4g,
11 December 1890, page 5b,
19 October 1889, page 9b,
27 December 1890, page 9a.
< "The Inter-Colonial Railway" is in the Advertiser,
15,16 and 18 February 1886, pages 5f, 6c and 6a.
A trip from Melbourne to Broken Hill via Adelaide is described in the Advertiser,
18 January 1887, page 6d;
also see 21 January 1887, page 4f.
"From Adelaide to Broken Hill" is in the Register,
19 January 1887, page 6g.
The opening of the railway from Cockburn to Broken Hill is reported in the Register,
11 January 1888, page 5h.
"The Broken Hill Express" is in the Register,
7 June 1922, page 8g.
A proposed railway from Port Augusta to Eucla is in the Register,
31 March 1887, page 6c,
5 April 1887, page 5b;
also see 14 July 1888, page 7b,
21 April 1891, page 7d,
13 June 1901, page 6d,
4 February 1902, page 6i,
14 March 1903, page 6e,
15 September 1903, page 5g,
10 and 11 November 1903, pages 5h and 6h,
19 October 1905, page 3h.
Photographs of survey parties are in the Chronicle,
19 June 1909, page 29.
Also see Register,
15 February 1908, page 4h,
26 October 1909, page 4d, 27 June 1910, page 7c,
18 June 1912, page 7e,
21 September 1912, page 34 (photos),
21 January 1913, page 6d,
15 December 1914, page 4c,
4 and 26 December 1916, pages 4g and 9b,
19 April 1917, page 7c,
23 October 1917, page 5d.
"An Old Question Revived - The Transcontinental Railway" is in the Observer,
14 June 1902, page 34.
"When the East-West Line Was Built" is in The News,
20 October 1933, page 6e.
"The Grievances of Railway Servants" is in the Express,
28 and 29 November 1889, pages 2c and 2d.
The pay of railway servants is discussed in the Advertiser,
6 January 1890, page 7c.
A proposed Railway Board is discussed in the Advertiser,
13 July 1886, page 6d.
"Kangaroo Island Sleepers" is in the Observer,
10 and 17 July 1886, pages 31e and 32b,
17 August 1886, page 12a.
The importation of railway sleepers is discussed in the Register,
18 January 1890, page 5a,
25 January 1890, page 37a.
"Railway Sleepers" is in the Register, 26 (27?) July 1892, page 5a.
"Home-Grown Railway Sleepers" is in the Express,
30 July 1907, page 4f,
"Local Pine Sleepers" is in the Observer,
12 June 1926, page 17c;
also see 8 January 1927, page 62b,
"Railway Sleepers" is in the Register,
14 December 1926, page 3g,
1 January 1927, page 10d.
"The Gauges of Australian Railways" is in the Register,
12 January 1888, page 7g,
"The Bane of Our Railways - Break of Gauge" on 23 April 1910, page 5e,
"Railway Gauge" on 1 September 1910, page 4e,
"Break of Gauge" on 17 February 1911, page 3g,
"Railway Gauges" on 6 April 1914, page 8c.
"Who is Responsible?" is in the Register,
24 January 1888, page 4f.
"The Supply of Railway Engines" is in the Register,
14 and 15 February 1888, pages 4g and 4g-5b;
also see 6 April 1888, pages 4g-6b.
"The Position of Engineer-in-Chief" is in the Register,
3 April 1888, page 4f.
"A Trip to the Peake" is in the Chronicle,
28 April 1888, page 13c.
Biographical details of Joseph Henry Smith are in the Register,
25 May 1888, page 6d,
of Alexander B. Moncrieff in the Observer,
5 May 1888, page 33b,
22 April 1909, page 6e,
29 May 1915, page 32d,
1 July 1916, page 32c,
of A.S. Neill on 19 June 1915, page 32b,
of J. McGuire on 3 July 1915, page 36c (also see Register, 16 February 1921, page 7b),
of Richard W. Smith on 9 February 1918, page 33d.
Defrauding the railways, including information on the ticketing system, is discussed in the Register,
20 October 1888, page 4e,
15 November 1888, page 4h,
11 December 1888, page 5b,
Observer, 27 October 1888, page 25c.
"SAR Time and Fare Books" is in the Register,
19 March 1889, page 7f.
"A Weeding Machine for the Railways" is in the Register,
17 May 1889, page 5a,
18 May 1889, page 29c;
also see 12 April 1890, page 28e.
"Engine Drivers and the Railways" is in the Register,
7 October 1889, page 5a.
A poem titled "The Engine Driver" is in The Lantern,
18 September 1886, page 19,
"The Pointsman" on 3 March 1888, page 17.
"Our Railway Policy" is in the Register,
23 October 1889, page 4f.
"The Parliamentary Inspection of Great Northern Railway Works",
which includes a brief history of the project, is in the Chronicle,
26 October 1889, page 6.
"The Accident on the North Line" is in theObserver,
25 January 1890, page 25a.
"The Railway Traffic" is in the Register,
16 and 21 November 1889, pages 4h and 4f.
"Railway Wages" is in the Observer,
23 November 1889, page 31a.
"Railway Employees and Life Insurance" is in the Register,
29 January 1890, page 4g.
"Lodgings of Railway Employees" is in the Register,
3 February 1890, page 6e.
"Our Railways and Federation" is in the Register,
19 February 1890, page 4e.
Information on workmen's wages is in the Express,
1 March 1890, page 2c,
of their dismissal on 3 March 1890, page 3e.
A presentation to Mr O. Pasquill is reported in the Register,
31 March 1890, page 5d.
"The Locomotive Contract" is in the Observer,
12 April 1890, page 29d,
7, 15 and 22 December 1892, pages 4e, 4g and 6c,
10 July 1893, page 5a,
28 February 1894, pages 5a-7a,
5 March 1894, page 5b,
9 May 1894, page 5b,
21 and 24 December 1894, pages 5b and 6f.
"An Important Railway Case" is in the Register,
15 May 1890, pages 4h-5b-6g.
"A South Australian Saloon Car" is in the Chronicle,
12 July 1890, page 6d.
A railway picnic is reported in the Register,
1 December 1890, page 7d.
An "ingenious contrivance" invented to automatically control the opening and closing of carriage doors is discussed in the Observer,
18 July 1891, page 16e.
"The State Railways" is in the Register,
28 January 1892, page 4f.
A farewell social to T. Roberts, locomotive engineer, is reported in the Register,
22 February 1892, page 6c.
"Eight Hours and the Railway Service" is in the Register,
2 March 1892, pages 3c-4f.
Also see South Australia - Industrial Relations.
"The Hills Train Service" is in the Register,
14 April 1892, page 5a.
"Railway Christian Endeavour" is in the Register,
3 September 1892, page 7b.
"Serviceton Station and the Disputed Boundary" is in the Register,
4 January 1893, page 4e.
The tribulations surrounding the transportation of cats are discussed in the Observer,
4 February 1893, page 30d.
"Railway Officials as Parliamentary Candidates" is in the Register,
21 March 1893, pages 4g-6b.
"The Short-Time System and the Railways" is in the Register,
26 October 1893, pages 4g-6c.
"Australasian State Railways" is in the Register,
5 March 1895, page 4e.
"The Railway Commissioners and Politicians" is in the Register,
7 September 1894, pages 4e-6b, 3 October 1894, page 4h.
"A Fatal Railway Accident [near Gawler]" is in the Register,
25 February 1895, pages 4f-5f.
"Exit the Railway Commissioners" is in the Register,
9 May 1895, page 4e.
"History of the Board System" is in the Register,
9 May 1895, page 6c,
11 May 1895, page 32b.
Biographical details of a railway commissioner, J.H. Smith, are in the Register,
9 May 1895, page 6b.
Lavatory accommodation on trains is discussed in the Observer,
5 September 1896, page 29a.
The subject of "Light Railways versus Roads" is discussed in the Advertiser,
19 November 1895, page 4g,
For general information see Register,
19 August 1886, page 4e,
19 October 1886, page 4d,
14 November 1887, page 4g;
29 July 1890, page 7a,
17 February 1892, pages 4d-5g,
12 and 25 June 1902, pages 7f and 4d-9b,
7, 10 13 and 28 October 1902, pages 6g, 7f, 2i and 6d,
2 December 1902, page 7h,
4 December 1902, pages 4c-5f.
Also see Register,
7 and 14 December 1904, pages 6h and 7d,
8 August 1905, page 5b,
9 April 1906, page 6h, 9, 25,
26 and 29 October 1906, pages 4c-5b, 4c-7b, 5g and 6g,
1 and 3 November 1906, pages 4d-5d and 7d,
11 and 20 December 1906, pages 4d-7a and 3h,
31 January 1907, page 5h.
"Making the Railways Pay" is in the Register,
12 May 1897, page 4h.
"Trains, Travellers and Accidents" is in the Register,
14 December 1897, page 4g.
New railway carriages are discussed in the Register,
9 March 1898, page 7h,
19 March 1898, page 43e.
A complaint from cyclists as to the charges applied to the transport of their bicycles is in the Observer,
12 November 1898, page 29d.
"Ladies Compartments on the Railways" is in the Register,
25 July 1899, page 5a.
"Federation and the Railways" is in the Register,
13 May 1898, page 4g.
"Holidays and the Railways" is in the Register,
29 December 1900, page 6d.
"Interstate Express" is in the Express,
25 May 1901, page 4c.
"The Railway Commission" is in the Register,
21 October 1903, page 4c.
"The Man in the Box - Controlling Train Traffic" is in the Register,
4 December 1903, page 6f.
A photograph of the SA Locomotive Brass band is in the Chronicle,
31 January 1903, page 44;
also see 28 September 1912, page 32.
"The Locomotive Band" is in the Register,
1 November 1904, page 4f,
19 September 1906, page 7c,
10 March 1908, page 9f,
15 July 1908, page 6h;
a history of the band appears on 6 November 1911, page 9c.
Biographical details of P. Temby are in the Register,
25 July 1912, page 4c.
"Our Railways" is in the Observer,
3, 24 and 31 December 1904, pages 40e, 39a and 41a,
7 January 1905, page 39a.
Biographical details of H. McArthur, J. McGuire and J. Henderson are in the Observer,
9 July 1910, page 50b,
of F.W. Stephens on 9 April 1921, page 28b.
"Mangled by a Train - A Brass Founder's Fate" is in the Express,
8 August 1910, page 4h.
A feature article "Goods by Rail" is in the Advertiser,
28 October 1911, page 7a.
Also see Register,
27 March 1912, page 6d,
19 September 1912, page 12d,
21 and 22 August 1919, pages 6d and 9b,
6, 9 and 24 August 1920, pages 4d, 6d and 6e,
8 November 1920, page 7c,
2 and 4 May 1922, pages 4b and 7c,
21 October 1922, pages 5e-12b,
20 April 1923, page 8b,
10 and 16 May 1923, pages 9b and 9a,
14 July 1923, page 9h,
26 July 1923, page 5c.
Also see Register, 5 May 1924, page 8d,
23 September 1924, pages 8c-9c,
4 November 1924, page 13a,
3, 14, 21 and 22 April 1925, pages 9d, 8f, 9e and 8c,
13, 21 and 30 May 1925, pages 8e, 10a and 7e,
1, 2 and 9 June 1925, pages 9g, 8d-9a and 13h,
31 August 1925, page 9e,
21 September 1925, page 7e,
21 January 1926, pages 8c-9g, 13 (history of),
16 and 19 February 1926, pages 11a, 11a and 9f.
"Railway to Alice Springs - Dream of Years Realised" is in the Advertiser,
7 August 1929, page 9b;
also see Chronicle,
8 and 15 August 1929, pages 50 and 47.
"Fellowship of North-South Train" is in the Advertiser,
6 August 1932, page 14i.
A proposed inter-colonial railway via the border and via Wentworth is reported in the Register,
11, 12 and 14 August 1882, pages 4g, 6c and 4g.
"Another Route for the Border Railway" is canvassed on 4 December 1882, page 5f;
also see 10 May 1883, page 6b,
5 July 1883, page 4d,
20 and 21 January 1887, pages 4d-5a-6h and 5a for the opening of the line to Melbourne;
also see Express,
20 and 21 January 1887, pages 3f and 3f.
A disgruntled passenger on local railways complains of drunken passengers and smoking in non-smoking carriages in a letter to the Register
on 14 November 1882 (supp.), page 3c:
If drunken men are permitted to travel, it should be in a special compartment and the penalty against smoking should be strictly enforced.
25 March 1884, page 7c.
"The Railway to Silverton" is in the Register,
24 July 1884, page 5f,
1 October 1884, pages 4g-7g,
30 March 1887, page 5h,
22 April 1887, page 6f.
"Railway Management" is in the Register,
26 June 1885, page 4g,
18 June 1888, page 4h,
"Along the Northern Railways" on 18, 22 and 24 July 1885, pages 6f, 5g and 6a,
6 August 1885, page 6a.
"The Overland Railway - Adelaide to Bordertown" is in the Register,
15 February 1886, page 6a;
also see 16 February 1886, page 6b,
3 May 1886, pages 4f-5b-6a.
"A Chat With a Carriage Maker" is in the Register,
9 April 1886, page 6e.
Smuggling on the Melbourne railway is reported in the Register,
14 July 1887, page 5a.
"The Electric Light and the Melbourne Express" is in the Register,
8 February 1889, page 5a.
"The Boudoir Cars" is in the Register,
29 and 30 March 1889, pages 7e and 4h,
8 June 1889, page 5a.
A cartoon is in The Critic,
27 September 1902, page 17;
also see 10 January 1903, page 15,
21 February 1903, page 16.
Photographs of the interior of carriages of the Melbourne express are in the Chronicle,
10 August 1907, page 30,
"Arrival of the New Cars" is in the Register,
26 October 1907, page 9f,
"Alleged Unsafe Carriages" is in the Register,
23 January 1908, page 9h.
"Melbourne Express Speeds Up" is in The News,
11 May 1927, page 5c,
"New Dining Car on Melbourne Express" on 16 May 1928, page 14g,
22 May 1928, page 9d.
Its derailment near Callington is reported in the Observer,
4 January 1930, page 15.
The sale of intoxicants at railway stations is discussed in the Advertiser,
30 July 1887, page 7d,
12 August 1887, page 4d.
"Railway Traffic of the Future" is in the Observer,
10 November 1888, page 25b.
The treatment of railway servants is the cause for complaint in the Advertiser,
24 December 1892, page 6h.
"Free Passes for School Children" is in the Observer,
9 April 1892, page 31a.
"Railway Officials as Parliamentary Candidates" is in the Observer,
25 March 1893, page 25b.
A complaint levelled at schoolboys in railway carriages appears in the Register,
14 February 1894, page 6f.
A railway fatality near Roseworthy is reported in the Express,
25 February 1895, page 3b.
A railway journey from Adelaide to Moonta is reported in the Chronicle,
22 April 1899, page 16a,
from Port Pirie to Petersburg on 22 April 1899, page 17c,
Leigh Creek to Lyndhurst on 24 June 1899, page 18a and
from Quorn to Leigh Creek on 10 June 1899, page 16a.
A letter re the hills railway is in the Register,
2 October 1900, page 3e.
"Modern Railway Travelling" is in The Critic,
5 October 1901 (supplement).
The Adelaide railway yards are discussed in the Register,
9 February 1903, page 5a.
"Saturday's [Melbourne] Express Trains" is in the Register,
11 and 12 May 1903, pages 5f and 4d.
Letters expressing concern at an increase in the daily hours of work for railway employees are in the Register,
8 August 1903, page 9d.
"The Man in the Box - The Signal System" is described in the Register,
4 December 1903, page 6f,
"Life on the Footplate - A Day on a Railway Engine",
which includes the reminiscences of William Whiteford, a train-driver for 30 years,
appears on 20 January 1904, page 6d.
"The Dangers of Fly-Shunting" is in the Register,
7 May 1904, pages 6g-8h.
Biographical details of C.M. Yeomans are in the Register,
12 August 1904, page 4g.
"Our Railways" is in the Register,
17, 22 and 25 November 1904, pages 6f, 8c and 6h,
1, 3 and 6 December 1904, pages 8f, 10e and 3i, 2, 6,
11 and 18 February 1905, pages 6c, 3c, 40b and 40a.
"The Eye and Ear Tests - Old Railway Servants Disrated" is in the Advertiser,
30 January 1905, page 6c,
2, 4 and 9 February 1905, pages 7d-9b, 6e-8f and 9c.
A photograph of an SAR motor delivery van is in the Chronicle,
6 May 1905, page 29,
of a Caldwell Vale Auto-Rail Car on 8 February 1913, page 32,
of "The Rail Motor" on 23 February 1924, page 37,
"First Rail Motor" in the Register,
18 February 1924, page 7h.
An article on and a photograph of a railway motor tricycle are in the Observer,
17 June 1905, page 26.
Information on a railways ambulance carriage is in the Observer,
19 August 1905, page 42d.
Photographs of railway ambulance competitions are in the Observer,
8 November 1913, page 32,
4 November 1922, page 29,
2 November 1923, page 9g.
"Three Days in a Train From Adelaide- To Oodnadatta and Beyond" is in the Register,
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 28 August 1905, pages 5h, 7c, 7a, 7a, 6f, 4a and 6e.
"New Railway Motor" is in the Register,
28 July 1906, page 4g.
"Mr T. Roberts - A Story of Progress" is in the Express,
28 August 1906, page 1h;
also see Register,
25 August 1906, page 4g.
"Paying the Railway Men - A Travelling Paymaster" appears in the Register,
10 December 1906, page 5c,
"Xmas and the Railways - Where to Go" on 11 December 1907, page 11d.
"Travel Comforts - Food on Express Trains" is in the Advertiser,
4 April 1907, page 5g.
Biographicla details of William Allgood are in the Register,
3 July 1907, page 7b,
of P.B. O'Malley on 1 November 1909, page 7c.
Biographical details of B.F. Rushton are in the Register,
29 September 1906, page 7b,
31 August 1907, page 28a.
"Economical Railway Engines - Mr Rushton Reminiscent" is in the Register,
30 June 1917, page 9d.
Photographs of sleeper cutting in the South-East are in the Chronicle,
7 December 1907, page 30.
"Train Accomodation" is in the Chronicle,
23 May 1908, page 39b.
"Locomotive Engine Drivers" is in the Register,
26 September 1907, page 8f.
Biographical details of S.R. Hawke are in the Register,
24 April 1908, page 4h,
of Graham Stewart, Walter Rutt and J.C.B. Moncrieff on 15 May 1909, page 11e,
22 May 1916, page 4g,
16 June 1924, page 8h (obit.),
of J.P. Mackay on 25 June 1910, page 15d,
1 July 1910, page 9c,
of Henry McArthur, James Maguire, James Henderson and R.S. Ross on 1 July 1910, page 9c,
of Peter Bannerman on 17 December 1910, page 18a.
"Our Northern Railways" is in the Register,
5 May 1908, page 7e.
Information on a revolutionary signalling device invented by Lewis E. Saunders is in the Register,
18 March 1909, page 4f.
"Railway Signalling - South Australian Invention" is in The Mail,
27 December 1913, page 5a.
Biographical details of Fred Whitney, guard, are in the Register,
22 April 1910, page 4i,
of W. Rutt on 12 and 29 June 1912, pages 6h and 15b,
of T.W. McNiece, station master, on 10 August 1912, page 15b,
of E. Southwell on 5 September 1912, page 6g,
of Walter G. Martin on 25 December 1912, page 12i,
of H.V. Hayman on 4 July 1913, page 6g,
of J.S. Aldam on 27 August 1913, page 12h,
of J.H. Dixon on 30 June 1914, page 7c,
of Henry Davies on 1 August 1914, page 18f.
"Free Passes for Home Builders" in the Adelaide Hills is discussed in theRegister,
30 July 1910, page 15c,
24 August 1910, page 5c.
"Railway Smash [at Brachina] - Driver Killed" is in the Register,
30 January 1911, page 5a,
1 and 3 February 1911, pages 7a and 9d.
"Career of a Railway Ticket" is in the Register,
4 February 1911, page 8g.
"Islington - Where the Rolling Stock is Made" is in the Register,
20 May 1911, page 8b.
Biographical details of John Lapidge are in the Register,
27 June 1911, page 4g,
24 July 1911, page 7d-f,
12 August 1911, page 12i,
of George Clough on 28 June 1911, page 6h, 3 August 1911, page 7a,
of W.W. Andrews on 18 November 1911, page 15d,
of John Rodger on 29 March 1912, page 5a.
"Murray and West Coast Railways" is in the Register,
9 August 1911, page 15 (includes sketches).
"A Railway Bolt - Runaway Trucks From Sleep's Hill" is in the Register,
23 November 1911, pages 5a-6c.
Photographs of a busy railway station in the wheat season are in the Observer,
16 December 1911, page 5 (supp.).
Railway station gardens are discussed in the Observer,
25 May 1912, page 34c,
11 September 1913, page 14g.
"Railway Liquor Bars" is in the Register,
8 and 17 July 1912, pages 8g and 10e,
13 July 1912, page 53d.
The first meeting of members of the Railway Institute is reported in theRegister,
17 July 1912, page 9e.
"Seventy-Five Engines Wanted" is in the Observer,
13 July 1912, page 40a,
17 August 1912, page 34c,
14 September 1912, page 33c;
also see 8 February 1913, page 39c,
1 and 8 March 1913, pages 40b-49a and 48c,
17 May 1913, page 38c.
"Railway Building in SA" is in the Register,
5 September 1912, page 8d.
"Linking East and West" is in the Register,
13, 14 and 16 September 1912, pages 8c-9d, 13e and 10.
"Our Railways" is in the Register,
2 October 1912, page 12d.
"Railway Washaways - Worst Since 1888" is in the Express,
14 February 1913, page 3e.
An obituary of Matthew Eyls is in the Register,
2 April 1913, page 13a.
Biographical details of J. McGuire are in theRegister,
1 July 1915, page 7c.
"A Railway Man Looks Back", the reminiscences of George Yeomans, is in the Advertiser,
12 July 1913, page 6g,
"Old Memories Revived" on 5 July 1915, page 8i.
"To the Head of the Line", by rail to Oodnadatta, is reported in the Register,
1, 5 and 18 November 1913, pages 7a, 5g and 9a,
23 and 27 December 1913, pages 8g and 5c.
"When Engines Talk - The Whistle Nuisance" is in the Register,
26 February 1914, page 7d.
A report on railways is in the Observer,
2 May 1914, page 43a.
"Rival Railway Routes - Horrock's or Bumbunga - Conversion versus Construction" is in The Mail,
27 June 1914, pages 22 and 23.
A photograph of members of a railways hospital fund is in the Observer,
1 August 1914, page 3 (supp.),
of a railway's cricket team is in the Chronicle,
23 January 1915, page 29,
of first aid exercises on 6 November 1915, page 27,
of a football team in the Express,
29 April 1915, page 8,
28 April 1923, page 28.
The reminiscences of T. Roberts are in theRegister,
19 February 1915, page 4i,
of Robert Sayers on 31 December 1915, page 4i.
"Names of Railway Stations - Their Meanings and Derivations" is in the Observer,
13 March 1915, page 40d.
Biographical details of J. McGuire are in the Register,
4 May 1916, page 5c,
of A.N. Day on 3 June 1916, page 9c,
of C.J.H. Boykett on 24 June 1916, page 8h,
of T.H. Taylor on 3 July 1916, page 4h,
of J.S. Aldam on 28 May 1917, page 6g,
of Mr Pickering on 7 February 1919, page 6f,
of Charles R. Franklin on 30 June 1921, page 8f,
of F. O'Brien on 26 May 1922, page 9f.
Biographical details of J. Waghorn are in the Observer,
10 July 1915, page 49e,
of T.H. Taylor on 8 July 1916, page 28d,
of F. O'Brien on 7 July 1917, page 14e.
"Railway Fares - New Scale of Charges" is in the Express,
5 May 1916, page 3g;
also see Register,
31 July 1919, page 7g.
"One-Class Railways" is in the Register,
1 September 1916, page 4d,
"Classes on Railways" in the Observer,
3 March 1923, page 4e.
An obituary of F.T.C. Smith is in the Register,
28 March 1917, page 6g,
of Thomas Stack on 11 May 1917, page 6f.
"Our State Railways" is in the Register,
18 January 1919, page 7a,
"Through the Heart of Sleep's Hill" on 25 January 1919, page 6i.
An obituary of W.H. Hoggarth is in the Register,
15 and 18 August 1919, pages 6g and 6g,
of B.B. Carvoso on 20 August 1919, page 6h,
of Thomas Roberts on 19 July 1920, page 6h,
of Francis Wheelhouse on 20 November 1920, page 10c,
of O.J. Rankin on 1 February 1922, page 6g.
"Building Railways" is in the Observer,
4 September 1920, page 18c.
Biographical details of F.W. Stephen are in the Register,
4 April 1921, page 6h,
of Herman P. Green on 9 March 1922, page 6i,
of H.L. Goldbeck on 14 June 1924, page 10b,
of S.C. Ball on 26 June 1924, page 13e.
"Engine for the Hills Line" is in the Register,
17 August 1921, page 7f.
Biographical details of Abraham Baxter, railway contractor, are in the Observer,
18 March 1922, page 8d and an obituary on 7 July 1923, page 34e.
"To Todmorden and Back" is in the Register,
8 and 10 June 1922, pages 7d and 10a,
"A Railwayman's Life Story" on 29 December 1922, page 8e.
Biographical details of R.A. Cilento are in the Register,
8 April 1922, page 6i,
Observer, 15 April 1922, page 28c.
"Mr R.A. Cilento and the Railways Department" is in the Register,
8 September 1924, page 12a;
also see 19 May 1926, page 11a,
13 August 1926, page 8g,
26 June 1926, page 11d.
"The Iron Road - Developing the State" is in the Observer,
13 January 1923, page 43e.
Biographical details of B.F. Rushton are in the Observer,
3 February 1923, page 31d,
of C.B. Anderson, S.H. Watson, T.J. Kernot, A.N. Day, F. Yeomans, P.B. O'Malley, J.P. Mackay,
W.W. Andrews (obit. 1 March 1924, page 45d),
A.E. Welbourn (also see 26 January 1924, page 49a), T.W. Messenger,
C.G. Pilkington and R. Boothby on 24 March 1923, page 43,
of F.W. Stephen on 29 December 1923, page 37c,
of H.L. Goldsack on 13 June 1925, page 36d,
of D.N. Weir on 20 June 1925, page 48e,
of A.E.C.G. Taplin on 28 November 1925, page 28d,
of A.E. Leaney on 8 December 1928, page 17a,
of Henry P. Clarke on 17 November 1928, page 32a.
"New Locomotives" is in the Register,
3 January 1923, page 7f.
Information on W.A. Webb is in the Register,
13 February 1923, page 7c,
of W.J. Miller on 4 July 1923, page 8g,
of Abraham Baxter, railway contractor, on 4 July 1923, page 9c,
of F.W. Stephen on 20 December 1923, page 8g,
of A.E. Welbourn on 17 January 1924, page 7d,
of George J. Middleton on 15 July 1924, page 8h,
of W.H. Pennifold on 30 August 1924, page 8g,
of S.H. Watson and F.B. Harvey on 14 August 1926, page 12f,
of R.S. Ross on 11 January 1927, page 8g.
"53 Years on the Footplate - Reminiscences of G.W. Ward" is in the Register,
24 April 1923, page 9e and of
John Brennan on 27 February 1924, page 11h.
"Railway Reorganisation" is in the Advertiser,
17 March 1923, page 17a.
"East-West or North-South" is in the Register,
7 and 10 May 1923, pages 8c-9c and 9c.
"Huge Engines for SA Railways" is in the Advertiser,
10 January 1924, page 11.
"State's New Locomotives" is in the Observer,
9 February 1924, page 46a,
"Huge Locomotives for SA" in the Register,
1 March 1926, page 10c.
"First Rail Motor" is in the Observer,
23 February 1924, page 59e.
"Level Crossings" is in the Register,
23 June 1923, pages 8d-9a,
"Fatalities at Railway Crossings" on 17 April 1924, page 8d,
"Level Crossing Dangers" on 27 April 1926, page 8d;
also see Advertiser,
15 May 1936, page 22f.
The first rail motor trip is reported in the Register
on 18 February 1924, page 7h,
"Wayside Advertisements" on 23 February 1924, page 8e,
"On the Afghan Express" on 20 October 1924, page 9a,
"Our Railway Services - Fighting the Bus Competition" on 3 and 6 February 1925, pages 7a and 9e.
A history of the Railway Officers' Association is in the Advertiser,
9 April 1924, page 10b.
"A Musical Ride - Wireless on Speeding Train" is in the Observer,
25 October 1924, page 46c.
"On the Afghan Express" is in the Observer,
25 October 1924, page 62d.
"Our Railway Services" is in the Register,
3 February 1925, page 7a.
The introduction of railway motor buses from Adelaide to Victor Harbor is reported in the Advertiser,
6 February 1925, page 14c,
14 February 1925, page 47c.
"Puffing Through Seventy Years - Dirty Girty and Sisters" is in The Mail,
14 February 1925, page 1f.
"Rail Motor Coaches" is in the Register,
1 April 1925, page 9d.
"Control of Trains - An Up-To-Date System" is in the Observer,
11 April 1925, page 49d.
Biographical details of James P. Thomas are in the Register,
6 June 1925, page 8h,
of H.V. Hayman on 27 April 1927, page 8h,
13 April 1928, page 8g.
"Tea and Sugar Train" is in The Mail,
19 December 1925, page 1c.
"Train Control" is in The News,
17 June 1925, page 9g.
"Railway Services" is in the Register,
16 July 1925, page 10d.
An obituary of W.T. Slade is in the Register,
15 February 1926, page 8h.
"Mountain Engine - Trial Run Through Hills" is in the Register,
12 June 1926, page 13a;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
22 May 1926, page 40.
"The Railways Reorganization Scheme" is in the Observer,
14 August 1926, page 48.
"Railway Motor Services" is in the Register,
26 August 1926, page 8b.
"Hospital on Wheels" is in The Mail,
31 July 1926, page 3c.
"Railway Bus Services" is in the Advertiser,
17 August 1926, page 14g.
"Mountain Engine - Trial Run Through Hills" is in the Observer,
19 June 1926, page 49a.
"Some Interesting Records - North-South Railway" is in the Register,
28 July 1926, page 5g.
Photographs of various aspects of railways are in the Chronicle,
15 January 1927, page 39,
of steel railway trucks on 21 May 1927, page 56b.
Biographical details of Edward J. Perrin are in the Register,
25 May 1926, page 17c,
of Albert Lock on 29 June 1927, page 8h,
of F.H. Ferry on 17 January 1928, page 8g,
of Thomas J. Reynolds on 29 February 1928, page 8g,
of A.E. Leaney on 1 December 1928, page 10a.
"Fumes in Tunnels" is in the Register,
29 June 1927, page 8e,
"Fumes From Engines" on 25 July 1927, page 9b.
"Transport Monopoly" is in the Observer,
30 July 1927, page 35b.
"Railways Versus Roads" is in the Register,
1 September 1927, page 8d.
"Railway Dismissals - About 2,000 Jobs To Go" is in the Register,
1 November 1927, pages 9a-13g.
"Mr Webb and the Register" is in the Register,
21, 24 and 25 January 1928, pages 9a, 9a and 8c-9a;
also see 30 January 1930, page 7b,
2 and 16 May 1930, pages 4a and 4e.
"The Tunnel Disaster" near Belair is reported in theRegister,
1 February 1928, pages 9b-10,
Advertiser, 2 February 1928, pages 12f and 13.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
4 February 1928, pages 47-49.
The reminiscences of A. Sieben are in the Register,
20 April 1928, page 14h.
"Wig-Wags Popular" is in The Mail,
28 April 1928, page 11b,
12 May 1928, page 3c.
"Train Transport - Men Who Safeguard the Life of Thousands" is in The Mail,
18 and 25 August 1928, pages 15c and 3a,
1, 8 and 22 September 1928, pages 3a, 17a and 15c.
"Work of South Australian Railways" is in The Mail,
29 September 1928, page 21a.
"The State Railways - Past and Present Methods" is in the Advertiser,
17 and 27 April 1929, pages 17d and 14h.
"New Railway Chief [C.B. Anderson]" is in the Register,
8 November 1929, page 6c.
"North-South or North-South-East Railway?" is in the Advertiser,
21 and 22 January 1930, pages 14g and 15e.
"Railway Economics - Non-Paying Lines to be Closed" is in the Advertiser,
24 and 25 September 1930, pages 9f and 8i.
"Century's Advance in Signalling" is in the Advertiser,
17 October 1931, page 9g.
The problems of obtaining "Water for Railways" are traversed in the Advertiser,
30 June 1934, page 11h.
"How Railways Safeguard Passengers" is in the Advertiser,
30 November 1934, page 29d.
"Transcontinental - A Fantasy on Wheels" is in the Advertiser,
27 April 1935, page 11g.
"How SA Railways Have Developed" is in The News,
24 May 1935, page 4g.
Biographical details of Frank Yeomans are in the Advertiser,
27 January 1937, page 25b.
"Arbitration and the Railways" is in the Advertiser,
6 July 1937, page 16c.
'First New East-West Train Arrives" is in The News,
26 July 1937, page 1e.
SA - Transport - Railways - ObituariesAn obituary of Henry Cox is in the Register, 13 July 1875, page 5d,
of William Hanson on 15 July 1875, page 5d.
An obituary of Peter Galt is in the Register, 30 March 1883, page 5c, Observer, 31 March 1883, page 28d,
of John N. Martin in the Register, 22 March 1888, page 5b.
An obituary of Harold Heys is in the Register, 18 October 1886, page 5b,
of W.C. Rowell on 29 July 1899, page 5d,
of W.G.C. Cole on 31 August 1899, page 5e.
An obituary of George Day, engine driver, is in the Register, 5 March 1888, page 5c,
of James Gray on 10 April 1893, page 5a.
The death of A.B. Considine is reported in the Register, 24 March 1890, page 4h,
of Mark Bullimore on 22 July 1890, page 6b,
of G. MacGibbon on 13 July 1893, page 5d,
of C.J. Holder, Traffic Auditor, on 14 February 1899, page 6c.
An obituary of G. MacGibbon is in the Observer, 15 July 1893, page 30b
and biographical details of T. Roberts on 1 September 1894, page 16c,
of C.J. Holder on 18 February 1899, page 15a,
of Charles Pike, senior engine-driver, on 9 March 1901, page 15b.
An obituary of a general traffic manager, Frederick Calf, is in the Observer, 1 September 1900, page 22d,
of Isaac Puddy, superintendent, on 18 November 1905, page 38d,
of Thomas Y. Morcombe on 20 October 1906, page 38e,
of James West on 19 September 1908, page 42b,
of John Clancy on 2 January 1909, page 38a,
of John O'Hare on 10 July 1909, page 40b,
of W.A. Trengrove on 23 October 1909, page 40b.
An obituary of Andrew Keltie is in the Register, 8 February 1900, page 5b,
of W. Unwin on 4 May 1901, page 5b,
of F. Latimer on 26 July 1904, page 4f.
An obituary of Charles Pike, senior engine-driver, is in the Register, 2 March 1901, page 8h.
An obituary of H.E. Forward is in the Observer, 26 February 1910, page 39e,
of Martin Doherty on 5 March 1910, page 40b,
of W.H. Appleby on 28 October 1911, page 41a,
of W.G.C. Cole on 14 December 1912, page 39a,
of Matthew Eyes on 5 April 1913, page 41b,
of W.H. Wood on 27 December 1913, page 41a,
of Thomas Bird on 6 June 1914, page 39a,
of C.B. Walkington on 29 April 1916, page 32c,
of John Mopstead on 13 January 1917, page 14b,
of F.T.C. Smith on 31 March 1917, page 15b,
of Thomas Stack on 19 May 1917, page 33a,
of G.J. Stacey on 14 September 1918, page 13e,
of William Swan on 16 August 1919, page 13c,
of W.H. Hoggarth on 23 August 1919, page 14b,
of B.B. Carvosso on 23 August 1919, page 15a.
An obituary of Frederick Fry, guard, is in the Register, 12 August 1910, page 4g,
of W.H. Wood, engine driver, on 20 December 1913, page 16b,
of George Graham on 2 December 1916, page 8i,
of John Mopstead on 10 January 1917, page 4h,
of William H. Jackson on 4 October 1924, page 8i,
of J.P. Mackay on 6 and 7 October 1924, pages 7c and 13d.
An obituary of Robert Sayers is in the Observer, 7 February 1920, page 32b (also see 13 January 1923, page 52a),
of Thomas Roberts on 17 July 1920, page 12a,
of A.G. Reid on 18 June 1921, page 34a,
of James W. Gordon on 2 and 9 September 1922, pages 20c and 10a,
of Stephen Sharley on 6 January 1923, page 35d,
of Henry McArthur on 2 February 1924, page 39b,
of J.C.B. Moncrieff on 21 June 1924, page 28b,
of J.P. Mackay on 11 October 1924, page 37e.
An obituary of Thomas J. Kernot is in the Register, 8 and 9 May 1925, pages 12d and 8i,
of A.R.C.G. Taplin on 26 November 1925, page 12e,
of E.J. Winter on 12 October 1926, page 11a,
of W.K. Probert on 31 January 1927, page 6g,
of James McGuire on 27 June 1927, page 9c.
An obituary of Charles Thompson is in the Observer, 21 March 1925, page 38c,
of John B. McNeil on 30 May 1925, page 28a,
of Henry Black on 8 August 1925, page 44b,
of W.T. Slade on 20 February 1926, page 45d,
of G.E. Wynes on 20 March 1926, page 43d,
of E.J. Winter on 16 October 1926, page 43a,
of W.K. Probert on 5 February 1927, page 44b,
of W.R. Bradshaw on 7 May 1927, page 11b,
of James McGuire on 2 July 1927, page 19c,
of William Rufus on 12 November 1927, page 46c.