Place Names of South Australia - S
Salisbury - Scott Creek
- Salt Bush
- Salt Creek
- Salter Springs
- Sampson Flat
- Sanders Creek
- Sandy Creek
- Sandy Grove
- Santo, Hundred of
- Sarah, Mount
- Saunders Creek
- Sceale Bay
- Schank, Mount
- Schell Well
- Scherk, Hundred of
- Schlinke Gully
- Schlink Landing
- Schomburgk, Hundred of
- Schuetze Landing
- Scott Creek
John Harvey (1821-1899) purchased sections 2190-1, Hundred of Yatala on 11 August 1847 and subdivided portion of it in June 1848 as the village of Salisbury naming it in honour of his wife who came from the Salisbury Plain's area in Wiltshire, England:
A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
4 November 1848, page 2d,
Adelaide Times on
9 October 1848, page 4f and
11 September 1849, page 4a.
12 March 1885, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A report on a proposed flour mill is discussed in the Register,
20 April 1853, page 3e and
11 June 1853, page 3f;
The destruction of Davey's flour mill by fire is reported in the Register,
23 and 26 January 1915, pages 11a and 3e,
30 January 1915, pages 15a-41d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills.
The urgent necessity for a post office is discussed in the Register,
20 April 1853, page 3e.
Information on a proposed post office is in the Register,
17 October 1855, page 3c.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.
Information on the district is in the Register,
26 March 1856, page 3g.
- Yesterday a very large number of electors of the District of Yatala assembled at Scott's Salisbury Hotel in a new room just erected, and intended to be used as an agricultural exchange and general auction mart, under the direction of John Chapple, for the purpose of giving a champagne luncheon to Mr Arthur Blyth, MLC for Yatala...
5 May 1856, page 3h,
10 May 1856, page 3g.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
A proposed public cemetery is discussed in the Register,
13 December 1856, page 2f.
"The Salisbury Cemetery" is in the Observer,
20 May 1882, page 30c,
12 June 1884, page 5a,
12 July 1890, page 5f,
19 July 1890, page 31b,
26 July 1890, page 5c; also see
2 October 1890, page 4c.
"An Unused Cemetery" is in the Register,
13 March 1897, page 5c.
General Registry Office plan no. 515 of 1856 has details of the subdivision of section 2190 by W.P. Trevaskis; also see plans nos. 170/1856, 83/1857 and 129/1857.
Biographical details of John Harvey are in the Observer,
7 March 1896, page 16a,
4 April 1896, page 12d,
Register, 25 March 1896, page 6g and
his obituary on 24 June 1899, pages 7a-9d;
also see 29 June 1899, page 5a and 10 June 1916, page 9c,
Observer, 23 April 1927, page 30a and under "Saint Kilda".
Biographical details of his son, James Harvey, are in the Register,
20 September 1910, pages 6h-8b,
Observer, 24 September 1910, page 48c and
of Mrs J. Harvey on 17 June 1916, page 32d.
An obituary of James Harvey is in the Observer,
8 January 1927, page 28a,
3 December 1927, page 45c.
Information on the railway is in the Register,
24 January 1856, page 2f,
28 November 1856, page 3c,
7 January 1857, page 2d.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
The opening of a Catholic church is reported in the Register,
3 March 1857, page 3d.
The laying of the foundation stone of a Wesleyan Chapel is reported in the Register,
17 March 1858, page 3b and
its opening on
25 November 1858, page 3f; also see
20 October 1859, page 2d.
The laying of the foundation stone of St John's Church is reported on
18 August 1858, page 3h; also see
8 August 1896, page 42e.
The diamond jubilee of the Congregational Church is reported in the Register,
7 April 1915, page 6f,
10 April 1915, page 14e.
A newly-formed cricket club is discussed in the Register,
19 March 1858, page 3c.
A cricket match is reported in the Express,
12 November 1868, page 2d,
23 April 1872, page 3d,
4 January 1875, page 3b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
The first annual general meeting of the Salisbury Literary Institution is reported in the Observer,
30 October 1858, page 4f.
A school was conducted in 1851 with 30 to 40 children in attendance - see Register,
3 May 1920, page 5d;
examinations are reported in the Chronicle,
25 December 1858, page 6g.
Its government school opened in 1861; see Chronicle,
28 October 1876, page 13f,
11, 19 and 30 July 1879, pages 6d, 5a and 5b,
30 September 1879, page 2c.
An annual prize and speech day is reported in the Chronicle,
26 December 1868, page 12a and
1 November 1880, page 5a;
examinations in the Chronicle,
13 November 1880, page 24f.
Information on and photographs of a "Back to Salisbury School" are in the Chronicle,
26 September 1935, page 56d,
3 October 1935.
A dinner given to James Jepson is reported in the Register,
27 February 1862, page 3b.
The opening of a bridge across the Para River is reported in the Chronicle,
16 May 1863, page 3a.
The opening of St John's Church is reported in the Register,
20 May 1865, page 3h.
The first prize meeting of the Salisbury Athletic Club is reported in the Register,
18 November 1869, page 2e; also see
24 September 1870, page 2g,
6 and 7 October 1871, pages 3f and 3e and
21 August 1872, page 3e.
An athletics meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
21 August 1875, page 14c and
a "Temperance Picnic" on
13 November 1875, page 15b; also see
23 September 1876, page 17b,
28 September 1878, page 19a,
28 January 1888, page 18d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
A ploughing match is reported upon in the Express,
24 August 1864, page 3b,
31 August 1865, page 3d; also see
5 September 1874, page 5c;
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
a Show on Mr Middleton's paddock in the Register,
20 August 1880 (supp.), page 2c; also see
3 September 1881, page 4f.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
A sports day is reported in the Express,
23 September 1870, page 2f,
9 October 1871, page 3d,
22 August 1872, page 3a,
14 August 1875, page 3b,
21 September 1878, page 3d,
27 January 1888, page 4c.
Local flooding is reported in the Express,
14 May 1875, page 2e,
23 January 1890, page 5b,
18 May 1909, page 3e.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - floods.
Mr J. Harvey's Stud is described in the Register,
21 August 1876, page 7e,
while a trial of agricultural implements on his property appears on
11 December 1878, page 6e; also see
22 December 1880, page 6f and
7 March 1881, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements.
A Catholic picnic is reported in the Register,
3 April 1877, page 6b,
3 April 1877, page 3d,
31 December 1881, page 11f,
6 January 1883, page 12a,
3 January 1885, page 35c.
A fire at the Governor Macdonnell Hotel is reported in the Register,
24 and 28 February 1881, pages 4g and 1d (supp.).
A football club sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
21 July 1883, page 21d; also see
7 April 1886, page 3g,
5 July 1886, page 3g,
11 May 1887, page 3g,
11 April 1889, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
Information on the Institute is in the Chronicle,
6 December 1884, page 23a,
5 July 1909, page 11g.
17 August 1927, page 13f.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
January 1885, page 17 and
a photograph of the committee in the Chronicle,
2 August 1934, page 36.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The town is described in the Observer,
29 August 1885, page 34d and
Parliamentary Paper 66/1886.
Local orangeries are described in the Register,
15 June 1893, page 6e,
11 July 1896, page 4b,
9 September 1901, page 2h,
9 June 1903, page 4g,
6 October 1908, page 8e,
27 October 1909, page 5d and
"Among the Orange Groves - Picturesque Salisbury" is in the Advertiser,
27 November 1902, page 6c,
30 June 1903, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
"Prosperity at Salisbury" is in the Register,
1 November 1926, page 10g,
"Progressive Salisbury" in The News,
9 July 1928, page 4c.
The train service is discussed in the Observer,
4 October 1890, page 6a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
The Little Para Quarries and the Old Spot Hotel are described in the Register
29 June 1893, page 5h.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Building Stone.
A pigeon shooting match is reported in the Observer,
18 July 1896, page 13e,
8 August 1896, page 13e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Pigeon Racing and Shooting.
"Missing Bride-Elect - Police Baffled" is in the Register,
10 February 1908, page 5a.
Information on the oval is in the Observer,
21 March 1908, page 17b.
Information on the Salisbury School of Music is in the Register,
25 December 1909, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Entertainment and the Arts - Music.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Joshua Heier is reported in the Register,
4 November 1911, page 13a,
of Mr & Mrs John Heddle on 19 February 1914, page 8a.
"Salisbury - A Beauty Spot" is in the Register,
25 May 1918, page 11a,
1 June 1918, page 13e.
Biographical details of the Whittlesea family is in the Register,
9 May 1922, page 4g,
of Mr & Mrs E.J. Paternoster on 21 July 1927, page 8h.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs G.N. Sayers is reported in the Register,
23 May 1925, page 11f.
The unveiling of the War Memorial is reported in the Register,
27 June 1922, page 9e.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
Photographs of storm damage are in the Observer,
25 October 1924, page 33,
of motor cycle races on
17 October 1925, page 31.
"Memories of an Old Police Officer" is in the Register,
15 October 1925, page 10c.
Also see South Australia - Police.
A photograph of the Coach and Horses Hotel is in The News,
16 November 1936, page 6e.
Salisbury - Obituaries
An obituary of William Urlwin is in the Register, 14 February 1890, page 5d,
of the State School's headmaster, Alexander Kemp, in the Observer, 22 July 1899, page 22d.
An obituary of F.B. Litchfield is in the Register, 4 August 1885, page 5b,
of Mrs John Robertson on 24 February 1897, page 5e.
An obituary of Francis Fenden, orange grower, is in the Observer, 12 March 1892, page 29d,
of John "Temperance" Williams on 22 November 1902, page 38c,
of C.M. Ponton on 13 January 1906, page 38b,
of William Goodman on 12 June 1909, page 40a,
of William Douglas on 23 October 1909, page 40a,
of William Coker on 17 December 1910, page 37c.
An obituary of Frederick Calf is in the Register, 29 August 1900, page 4i,
of Dr Brooks on 13 January 1903, page 5b,
of Albert Bussenschutt on 13 September 1905, page 7d,
of C.M. Ponton on 9 January 1906, page 4h,
of Mrs E.A. Jackson on 12 October 1906, page 4h,
of T.S.S. Diment on 25 March 1908, page 5c.
An obituary of William Pedler is in the Register, 27 January 1909, page 5a,
of William Goodman on 5 June 1909, page 9b,
of William Douglas on 19 October 1909, page 5c.
An obituary of Mrs John Heier is in the Observer, 1 June 1912, page 41b,
of Thomas Keyworth on 26 July 1913, page 41b,
of William Neal on 20 September 1913, page 39b,
of J.G. Burdettt on 1 November 1913, page 41b.
An obituary of John S. Frusher is in the Register, 5 November 1914, page 4i,
of Peter Swann on 27 January 1915, page 6f,
of Moses Bettison on 6 August 1920, page 4i,
of Mrs Eliza Middleton on 23 May 1921, page 4h,
of Jacob Hooper on 5 March 1926, page 8f,
of Mrs Eliza Urlwin on 18 January 1927, page 8g,
of John Harvey on 30 November 1927, page 14d.
An obituary of Peter Swann is in the Observer, 30 January 1915, page 41b,
of Mrs John Heddle on 15 May 1915, page 46b,
of George W. Hill on 13 January 1917, page 30c,
of H.E. Talbot on 16 June 1917, page 33e,
of John Heddle on 14 July 1917, page 19a,
of F.E. Fritsch on 16 December 1922, page 35c,
of John Whitford on 19 April 1924, page 43d,
of Jacob Hooper on 13 March 1926, page 37a,
of Arthur W. Whittlesea on 31 March 1928, page 49a.
An obituary of J.B. Laurie is in the Register, 2 and 3 July 1928, pages 6h and 12f.
An 1876 subdivision of section 42, Hundred of Pirie by William Wood, storekeeper of Yankalilla; now included in Port Pirie West. It is descriptive of the surrounding country.
According to the Register, 2 November 1891, page 7h it was also known as "Young Town".
Salt CreekThe Register of 21 October 1867, page 2e refers to a Salt Creek Baptist Sunday School in the vicinity of the Clarendon-Salem district.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
30 May 1874, page 12e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The Observer of
29 August 1874 at page 17c refers to "the necessity of surveying a suitable site for a township [at Salt Creek], about 6 miles from Edithburgh...",
while the Register of
3 March 1874, page 6a-c describes the area.
The Observer of
24 August 1878 at page 20c records that it was an alternative name for "Coobowie"; also see
15 January 1876, page 9g.
A report on its public house is in the Register,
21 August 1878, page 6d:
- At Salt Creek (otherwise Coobowie) a large public house was erected some time ago. This house, having starved out one or more of its tenants, was recently rented for the nominal sum of one shilling per week, simply to prevent the occupier from becoming permanent owner, though in another locality the building itself would be worth at least £1,000.... Only the other day the unfortunate was raging in delirium tremens, to the terror of the peaceful inhabitants of the place, till seized by the police and confined. No sooner is he released, however, that his next action is to attempt to commit a criminal offence upon a lodger... I ask is such a man competent to hold a licence...
6 November 1865, page 3d,
11 November 1865, page 2h.
The Register of
5 June 1880 at page 5d reports a meeting held at Salt Creek in the Hundred of Monarto with a view to pressing the government to provide education facilities in the district.
Information on the school on Eyre Peninsula is in the Register,
26 October 1911, page 5b (includes a photograph of some students).
A photograph of scrub rolling is in the Chronicle,
30 December 1911, page 27.
William Salter, who held the land under occupation licence from 26 March 1846; born in Devon, England in 1804 he arrived in the Caroline in 1839. The spring was on the southern portion of his sheep run and it became the base of a village which was surveyed in 1858.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Chapel is reported in the Register,
7 November 1864, page 3d and
its opening on
8 September 1865, page 2h.
Its school opened in 1867 and closed in 1956.
Information on it is in the Observer,
11 January 1879, page 3d,
28 April 1881, page 5b.
William Salter's obituary is in the Register,
4 August 1871, page 5b.
Charles Simmons purchased land at the entrance to Pichi Richi Pass and, in 1859, built a hotel. Around it, in 1862, he laid out the town of Saltia on sections 901-2, Hundred of Woolundunga, 19 km east of Port Augusta adopting an Aboriginal name rendered thaltia by H.P. Minchin in 1855. Derived from the Aboriginal thaltja - 'the gums'.
"Saltia Creek" is mentioned in the Observer,
11 July 1857, page 4c
while a report in the Register on
24 August 1857, page 2e says - "Started from Saltia (Maslin's station)..."; also see
26 November 1857, page 3f.
An editorial entitled "The Condemned Aboriginal" appears on
24 February 1858 and mentions a murder at "Saltaire Creek".
A Stirling-Saltia Race Meeting is reported in the Observer,
26 May 1860, page 3; also see
18 August 1860, page 7e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Its school opened in 1864 and closed in 1905. See Register,
10 December 1863, page 3c,
23 January 1864, page 3d,
7 June 1884, page 29b.
The Saltia copper and coal mine was once worked about 1 mile NW from Saltia Railway station; "the inspector reported very unfavorably of the whole affair, as being worthless" - see Records of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), page 125. Also see
16 May 1892, page 6g,
11 June 1892, page 29d.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
"Pandemonium at Saltia" is the subject of a letter to the Advertiser,
27 December 1877, page 6f.
- I cannot refrain... to draw attention of the public to the state of affairs as now existing at Saltia. Whilst at Port Augusta I heard of the murder of the man Bannan... In company with a friend I went to Saltia and on drawing up in the yard of the hotel I could hear the wild yells of the madmen in the bar. I walked into the back room and knocked for some time, but could make no one hear and so, after waiting for 10 minutes, I went round to the bar. Here there were 32 of the worst looking characters I have ever seen. Three men, almost naked, were lying on the floor endeavouring to talk, but too drunk to do so. Another was standing with his head on the counter and bleeding from the face. Half a dozen more were discussing the probability of the murderer being hung... I then succeeded in talking to the landlady and she said she was powerless to prevent such scenes. Indeed, it was only through her exertions that the landlord had not been murdered the day before. She supposed the authorities would send some policemen up soon, if not she would not stay in the place... I write in order to clear the township of Saltia of the drunken lot. By today's Despatch I see there has been another stabbing case there and unless some measures are taken at once to prevent it there will be another murder...
21 February 1878, page 6c-f,
13 November 1884, page 5g,
22 April 1922, page 11d.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
June 1882, page 89 and
a photograph in the Observer,
22 August 1903, page 23.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
2 January 1886, page 22b.
Sampson FlatThe Advertiser of 16 February 1876, page 6e mentions this place near One Tree Hill.
Twenty-seven kilometres north-east of Karoonda in the Hundred of McPherson. The town was proclaimed on 9 April 1914. Sandalwood trees grew profusely in the area.
The name was also given to a school in the Hundred of Oladdie opened by Thomas C. Kildea in 1887; it closed in 1893.
The school near Karoonda opened in 1919 and closed in 1944.
A photograph of a tennis team is in the Chronicle,
26 March 1936, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
An 1849 subdivision of section 2723, Hundred of Kondoparinga 8 km south of Strathalbyn by William Rogers (1818-1903), builder of Nairne into seven allotments, the last of which was reserved for a school. Its post office opened in 1851. He was the son of Francis and Elizabeth Rogers (nee Sanders) and arrived in the Platina in 1839. Thus, it is more than likely the name he gave to the subdivision honours his mother.
Its school opened in 1859 and closed in 1952; exams are reported in the Chronicle,
5 October 1872, page 7c.
A report on the laying of the cornerstone of the new Wesleyan Church is reported in the Register,
5 October 1867, page 2f;
for its opening see Chronicle,
4 January 1868, page 12a.
An obituary of Samuel Rogers is in the Register,
27 August 1903, page 5a,
Advertiser, 27 August 1903, page 6c,
of Mrs Ann Rogers in the Observer,
24 February 1912, page 41a,
of Mrs E.W. Harris on 10 July 1915, page 46a.
The reminiscences of Rev F. Slaney Poole are in the Observer,
3 April 1926, page 18d.
- Its chief importance in my (Rev Slaney Poole] time lay in the fact that Mr Rogers, the MP for the district, had his residence there. Sir John Gordon married one of his daughters. Since those days I have passed through Sandergrove in the train several times, but beyond the clearing away of a great deal of the scrub and timber I did not notice much alteration.
Benjamin Sanders who took up an occupation licence 'fifty miles east of Biscuit Flat' on 24 July 1845; now known as 'Morambro Creek'.
There appears to be some doubt as to whether Sanders Creek, in the Hundreds of Angas and Finniss, is in fact correctly named. (See Place Names - Sanderston) where the problem is possibly resolved)
The earliest Public Plan of Angas (1860) shows the creek to be named Saunders. The Public Plan withdrawn in 1919 shows similar, but the plan deposited in 1919 (withdrawn 1968) shows the creek as Sanders, although this has visibly been altered from Saunders.
The Public Plan deposited in 1898 shows the Sanderston Post Office, but no record of this nomenclature can be found; also shown is the Sanderston Railway Station, added to the same plan at a later date.
South Australian Railways Chief Engineer's Docket 3940-15 cites as a reason for this nomenclature the existence of Sanderston Post Office. The Public Plan of Finniss, deposited in 1873, shows the creek to be named Sanders, as do all subsequent plans. The Hundred of Finniss was gazetted in 1860 and the 1860-1873 Public Plan shows the creek as unnamed. This area falls within Pastoral Plan No. 2, but the creek does not appear on the plan.
However, the National Mapping 1:250.000 sheet 'Adelaide' shows Saunders Creek, as does the lease diagram of an 1851 pastoral lease no. 106 ("Melrose''). The Diagram Book for the Hundred of Angas shows the creek as Saunders Creek on pages 8 (Surveyor W. Pearson 1869), 9 (W. Pearson 1869), 26 (E.W. Krichauff 1882), 30 (E.W. Krichauff 1882) and 63 (A.T. Greenshields 1934). Further, the 80 chain lithograph at the rear of the first volume shows the name Saunderston Post Office and, in pencil, Saunderston Railway Station. No further confirmation of these names has been found.
The Diagram Book for the Hundred of Finniss shows Sanders Creek on pages 26 (L.L. Barrow, 1872) and 30 (L.L. Barrow, 1872). However, page 58 (E.W. Krichauff, 1882), shows it as Saunders Creek. Early survey records show that the surveys were conducted in 1908 by a surveyor named Saunders, but the Chief Drafting Officer stated that it is believed that his name was actually Sanders.
However, a check of the Diagram Books of Angas and Finniss shows no surveys conducted there by a surveyor of either name, and this together with the date of surveys would appear to make it irrelevant in either case. The District Council of Marne, Hundred of Angas, have the creek signposted as Saunder's Creek, whilst the District Council of Mannum, Hundred of Finniss, have the creek signposted as Sanders Creek. (See Place Names - Saunders Creek and "Saunderston" in Manning's Place Names of SA, p. 279.)
In the South East. Biographical details of Benjamin Sanders are in the Register,
15 April 1898, page 5b and
an obituary in the Register,
24 May 1899, page 5a,
27 May 1899, page 28a, where he is described as the discoverer of the Naracoorte Caves.
- Mr Benjamin Sanders passed away within a few hours of reaching his 100th birthday. He arrived in South Australia about the end of 1838 and was engaged for many years in sheep farming near the Naracoorte Caves, which it is said he discovered... In 1856 he returned to his native land, married, and settled down in the pleasant Vale of Taunton at Bradford, where he remained until his death...
A post office opened in April 1886 18 km north-west of Mannum probably honours William Sanders (1801-1880), who held thirty square miles of country east of the River Murray; lease no. 833 of 1860 'East of Swan Reach'.
An obituary of Robert Gregory is in the Observer,
31 October 1914, page 42b.
A photograph of school students is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 31.
R.H. Sandilands, a district pioneer.
The school opened in 1914 and closed in 1945.
The obituary of Robert H. Sandilands is in the Observer,
29 September 1923, page 39b - It says, inter alia, that the settlement was named after him.
An obituary of J.A. Marchant is in the Register,
20 July 1906, page 5a,
28 July 1906, page 38a.
SandletonThe school opened in 1909 and closed in 1941.
A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Lutheran Church is in the Chronicle,
7 November 1914, page 28.
About 1856, the South Australian Company cut it up into various size allotments, from one acre upwards. Of some interest is a clause in a contemporary lease document, which states that tenants could 'convey water through, under, over and along Lot 2, until such times as Port Adelaide is supplied with water'. Was the water obtained from sandy wells on the property? It has been recorded that Thomas Sandwell was a lessee of the section but, if so, he did not protect his interests with registration. However, genealogical records show him as being born in Scotland circa 1824 and arriving in the Isabella in 1845, and employed as a water carrier on Lefevre Peninsula.
Thomas Sandwell was also a milkman in partnership with Robert Snowden -
see Register, 15 September 1853 for information on the dissolution of the partnership.
Biographical details of Mr & Mrs William Warren are in the Register,
11 June 1927, page 16f.
An obituary of H. Germein is in the Register,
9 August 1928, page 11c.
The settlement grew around the 'Irish Harp Hotel' built circa 1850 by Peter McKeown on part section 3019, Hundred of Barossa, bought from Wilhelm Temme in 1849. The soil in the area is deep, loose sand and in the past the area was quarried for building sand.
A meeting in respect of a proposed school is reported in the Register,
11 April 1857, page 3d; also see
24 June 1857, page 3f,
17 April 1858, page 3a
17 April 1858, page 1h (supp.);
its opening by Rev Charlesworth is reported in the Register,
7 August 1858, page 2g and
its first anniversary on
31 May 1859, page 3c; also see
4 June 1859, page 3d,
3 September 1859, page 3d,
26 October 1861, page 4g,
28 October 1861, page 3f.
Department of Education records are at variance and show the school opening in 1861; for further information see Register,
20 and 24 May 1895, pages 6c and 6g,
13 August 1898, page 31d.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
27 January 1859, page 3h,
5 February 1859, page 3e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
An obituary of Mrs Lawes is in the Register,
20 July 1897, page 5a,
of Samuel Springbett in the Observer,
21 February 1903, page 34c,
of James Sim on 14 June 1913, page 41c, Register,
6 and 11 June 1913, pages 12g and 12g,
of H.J. Lawes on 31 December 1914, page 7a.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
4 September 1901, page 4e.
"Magazine Exploded" is in the Register,
16 November 1928, page 11d.
- Workmen engaged by the Local Government Department on the bituminous penetration main road, Gawler - Tanunda, and employed at Springbett quarries, Sandy Creek, had a remarkable escape from death... An explosive magazine blew up with tremendous force as the lunch hour drew near. A powder monkey, having arranged several shots to be fired, the men retired to the huts two chains away from the magazine to have their midday meal. Suddenly, and without warning, a tremendous sheet of flame shot up from the magazine, accompanied by a terrific explosion. The air was darkened... and the horror was added to as men were cast about like ninepins, with several structures tumbling around their ears...
Sandy GroveThis school in the South-East opened in 1899 and closed in 1944.
Santo, Hundred of
Philip Santo, MP and MLC. Born in Saltash, Cornwall in 1818 he came to South Australia in the Brightman in 1840 when he took up his trade as a builder, being responsible for the erection of a building known as 'Waterhouses' at the corner of King William and Rundle Streets. For a time he was a foreman at the Burra Mine before joining in the gold rush to Victoria in 1851. Upon his return he went into business as a merchant and built a handsome block known as Santo Building in Waymouth Street. He died in December 1889.
Information on Mr Santo is in the Express,
13 June 1868, page 2b,
4 March 1881, page 5c,
4 July 1885, page 1 (sketch);
his obituary is in the Chronicle,
21 December 1889, page 6b and
his wife's in the Register,
29 February 1904, page 6b,
5 March 1904, page 34c.
Governor Jervois named it after the sloop Sapphire which first brought him to South Australia.
The arrival of the ship is reported in the Observer of
6 October 1877, page 11b.
The ship is described in the Register,
3 October 1877, page 5g;
a sketch of it is in the SA Figaro,
27 October 1877 (supplement).
For information on the town see Register,
22 February 1905, page 6e.
The information in Manning's Place Names of South Australia is incorrect - it was discovered and named by John Ross; see Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society, Vol 58, page 15. His mother's Christian name was "Sarah" as was that of his oldest daughter.
Saunders CreekSee Place Names - Sanders Creek.
A proposed irrigation scheme is discussed in the Register,
15 January 1889, page 5b.
- The sites visited were Saunders' Creek, Reedy Creek and the South Rhine and the residents generally favoured the first named place. They asked the Commissioner to construct a dam across the creek and that pipes may be taken five miles in the direction of the Murray Flats, the water being required for irrigation and domestic purposes...
ScarboroughA notice in respect of races and a regatta is in the Mercury & SA Sporting Chronicle,
22 November 1851.
The town in the Hundred of Wrenfordsley 26k south of Streaky Bay was proclaimed on 25 October 1888 as Yanera. It received its present name on 19 September 1940 so as to conform with the name of the bay, named by Captain Bloomfield Douglas in 1858 after a former Royal Navy companion. The bay itself was incorrectly mapped as 'Scale's Bay' until 1921, while its post office was known as 'Scale's Bay' from 22 July 1897 until circa May 1900.
Information on its landing-place/jetty is in the Observer,
11 August 1900, page 30c,
25 August 1903, page 9b,
7 April 1909, page 7c,
8 July 1911, page 19g,
26 August 1911, page 16a.
"Railway v Jetty" is in the Observer,
20 July 1926, page 60c.
- Last week the residents of the Calca district waited upon the Minister of Marine and requested that they be free from paying tolls on the Scales (sic) Bay jetty. The cost of erecting the new jetty was £22,000 which would be better spent in railway facilities... Sceale Bay is served only with a monthly boat service and sometime longer; vessels are not able to get alongside the jetty but have to anchor several hundred yards out and lighter the cargo and wheat... Machinery has to be landed either at Venus or Streaky Bay...
1 April 1911, page 41a.
Named by Lt James Grant of HMS Nelson on 3 December 1800 after Admiral John Schank, who designed the vessel. Admiral Schank, the son of Alexander Schank of Castlerig, Fifeshire, Scotland was born in 1740 and died in 1823.
The geology of the area is discussed in the Observer,
2 January 1858, page 3f.
"Mount Schank Awakening" is in the Observer,
16 July 1870, page 8b; also see
15 March 1873, page 14c.
A poem on Mt Schank is in the Border Watch,19 December 1866.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
1 March 1879, page 17.
A kangaroo hunt is reported in the Register,
12 November 1880, page 6a.
- The kangaroo hunt took place in a large paddock about two miles south of the head station and some 30 or 40 gentlemen took an active part in it. Game was not over plentiful and unfortunately the ground was rather thickly timbered so it was difficult to get the leaping beauties to go in the direction wanted... Eight kangaroos were killed... Unfortunately, Mr F. Davison, solicitor, sustained a severe accident...
Its school opened in 1892 and closed in 1953.
Information on Captain John Schank is in the Register,
9 June 1900, page 6e.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs William Moulden is reported in the Register,
5 March 1906, page 4h,
of Mr & Mrs Cox in the Observer, 14 August 1926, page 61a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Cox is reported in the Register,
9 August 1926, page 8h.
The sale of the Mount Schank Estate is reported in the Observer,
17 October 1908, page 43e.
"Mount Schank Settlers" is in the Register,
4 April 1912, page 7d,
13 April 1912, page 47e.
"Soldiers at Mount Schank - Cannot Make Living" is in the Register,
2 July 1928, page 12f.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Repatriation.
Mount Schank - Obituaries
An obituary of Captain Gardiner is in the Register,
25 September 1889, page 5b.
An obituary of Thomas Edwards is in the Register,
12 May 1914, page 8a,
of Mrs Ellen E. McKinnon in the Observer,
16 July 1927, page 44e.
Ernest Schell who, in 1873, applied for a pastoral lease over the land to the south and west of the well. But he did not proceed and this land was eventually taken up by James White in 1875 - Lease no. 2506.
Its school opened in 1930 and closed in 1948.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
20 February 1936, page 38.
It is described in the Register,
28 May 1909, page 9c and
28 May 1910, page 51a.
"An Experimental Plot" is in the Register,
28 May 1909, page 9c.
- At Schell's Well, which with a depth of 100 feet, provides a good supply of fair stock water, we found M.A. Schultz who, with two other men, was clearing, fencing and cropping an experimental plot of about three acres for Professor Angus, who is establishing these plots wherever he can get anyone to work or to take charge of them...
Scherk, Hundred of
J.T. Scherk, MP (1886-1902). Born in Holstein, Germany in July 1836, a son of the chancellor of Kiel University, he came to South Australia in 1862 when he became a schoolteacher at Tanunda and Lobethal. He was an original member of the School of Mines and associated with that body for twenty-nine years. He died in 1923 and is buried at the West Terrace cemetery
It has been the 'Hundred of Sturdee' since 1918.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Scherk are in the Observer,
8 March 1890, page 33b;
9 July 1902, page 8g,
8 July 1911, page 15d;
an obituary appears on
18 August 1923, page 39b.
Anton Schlink (c.1817-1895), a pioneer pastoralist.
Anton Schlink's obituary appears in the Register,
27 December 1895, page 5b; also see
28 January 1896, page 5c for details of his will.
Biographical details appear on
19 January 1924, page 11g,
2 February 1924, page 17d.
Schlinke GullyPhotographs are in the Observer, 22 February 1908, page 32.
SchoenfeldA school in the Hundred of Light; opened in 1864 it closed in 1880. See Observer,
16 July 1881, page 30b.
- A deputation requested that the school at Schonfelde (sic) might be reopened, as the distance for the children to travel to school at Freeling was so great that it would interfere seriously with the attendance of the children and consequently with their education...
Schomburgk, Hundred of
Dr Richard Moritz Von Schomburgk, Director of the Botanic Gardens. Born in Germany in 1811 he came to South Australia in the Princess Louise in 1849. He died in 1891.
A school of this name opened in 1886 and closed in 1906.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
14 August 1897, page 37a.
- The Diamond Jubilee and Arbor Day celebrations in connection with the Schomburgk school were conducted on July 30. The children, 30 in number, and their parents and friends assembled at the school and, headed by the school banner, the children marched around the school ground and formed a circle in front of the building, when the teacher gave an address after which the "Song of Australia" was rendered. Then followed the planting of trees which had been provided by the Forest Department. The afternoon was devoted to games and oranges and sweets were freely distributed and songs enlivened the proceedings...
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs J.A. Berndt is reported in the Register,
27 May 1912, page 7a.
It has been recorded that:
Pottering downstream on the River Murray at Mannum, just past the Riverside Recreation Reserve, and tucked back against the age-old limestone cliffs is an imposing sight. It is "Leonaville''... built by early settler Gottlieb Wihhelm Schuetze... [He] bought land on the river flat... [and] built a cottage and a private landing... In 1853 he built a grand house in the middle of his garden, naming it "Leonaville'' after his second daughter Leona.
An obituary of Gottlieb W. Schuetze is in the Observer,
22 April 1922, page 34c.
- Mr Gottlieb Wilhelm Schuetze, late of Bakewell Road, St Peters, who died at Loxton Hospital on Good Friday, aged 79 years, was an early pioneer of the State, having arrived with his parents from Machtenburg, Saxony, 73 years ago. He first resided at Hahndorf and later moved to Blumberg, of which town he was the first postmaster. In 1874 he went to reside at Mannum... He was devoted to flowers and music and was able to play the piano up to within a few weeks of his demise.
Named after John and Charles Scott, early settlers in the district.
Following his arrival in South Australia in the Catherine Jamieson in 1838, with his brother, Charles, John Scott was employed by Mr JohnWrathall Bull, who had sheep running on the River Torrens near what was known as Beefacres - others in his employ were J. O'Flaherty, Mark Freeman and Hutchinson. Later, the brothers settled at a place that became known as Scott's Creek where they attempted to raise sheep but, owing to various causes, they sold out to a Mr Hutchinson (John's former workmate?) in about 1844/45.
They then took up new country in the Tatiara district where, in combination with Messrs John Binnie and Loudon McLeod, he and his brother held a good deal of country there. Subsequently, John Scott took up Cannawigara and, later, bought a station near Rivoli Bay and afterwards, with a partner, purchased "Manuwaukaninna [sic] station" in the Far North. He then started a stock-station agency at Kapunda, but subsequently sold out to "Nobbie" White and went to Mount Brown to manage for Messrs Morphett and Davenport and it was after this "he bought a property at Gunyah", where he died in 1896.
William Rowe Hill came to South Australia in the Royal Admiral in 1837, aged 22 years, and two years later removed to what is now known as Scott Creek where, "by dint of hard work and the exercise of good judgement, [he] prospered, educating and providing for a family of nine." In 1899 he was described as "the only survivor of the four men who dug the open well in the centre of Leigh Street". It remained in that state until the waterworks service was introduced to Adelaide in 1860. His wife died in March 1900 when it was said that:
The late Mrs. William Rowe Hill, one of those bravest of women pioneers who had nearly completed her 86th year, died suddenly on [4 March] and on the following Tuesday her husband passed away. His remains, with those of his devoted wife, will be laid in one grave at Cherry Grove, where they resided for nearly sixty years.
In respect of its nomenclature, in September 1933 the Chronicle, in a comprehensive history of the immediate district, said:
Some four miles south of Stirling is a picturesque strip of country called Scott's Creek. It is named after an early selector, but old time residents still wax indignant over the honour conferred on Mr Scott, who was a comparatively latecomer into the district, where a number of families were living when he arrived - W.R. Hill, pioneer and discoverer of the creek, George White, George Mildwaters and Joseph Brown.
These men were all "squatters" They settled on their properties, but had no legal tenure. That was not their fault. They selected the land and applied for a grant. But things were done leisurely in those days. Their shacks were built and their land cleared and cultivated before Authority made up its mind about surveying the blocks and granting their applications... The natives called the creek Wedendunga - "rapidly running water".
In the first days of its existence Scott's Creek was known for its big timber - red and blue gum and stringy bark. The bush was so thick that men might almost be next door neighbours without knowing of each other's existence. Indeed, there is a case on record of two old shipmates - William and George Mackereth - accidentally encountering each other in the city after a lapse of years. Mutual enquiries led to the discovery that for the whole period they had been living in the same locality - only three miles apart - each wondering what had become of each other.
Could claim neither possession nor discovery... My late father, William Rowe Hill, claimed that his were the first white man's feet that trod the upper reaches of the Wedenunga Stream, meaning "rapidly running water''.
The opening of Scott's Creek Chapel was performed on Sunday, 31 October 1858 when two sermons were preached morning and afternoon by the Rev M. Wilson:
On the next day a most sumptuous tea was provided by the ladies of Cherry Gardens and the Creek... Mr E. Burgess occupied the chair at a public meeting in the evening when addresses were delivered by Messrs J. H. Hart, J. and E. Jacobs, Chapman and Wilson. The attendance was so numerous that a great many could not get in. It is gratifying to see to see so neatly finished and substantial house erected in such a place appropriated to divine worship and a Sabbath school. Total debt, £17.
In 1899 the school was described as a galvanised iron structure, badly ventilated and unsuitable for the growing requirements of the district. The teacher's residence was eight miles from the school, while the average attendance was 15:
The light was such as to cause permanent injury in the eyes of both teachers and children and they were always complaining of the deficiency in respect of its distribution. There were also a number of young men in the district whose education had been sorely neglected who would avail themselves of the opportunity of attending night school if a suitable arrangement could be effected.
"Feloe cutting" gave profitable employment to a good many pairs of sawyers from time to time over a period of nearly fifty years but, in 1904, it was suggested that the industry was drawing to a close for only one pair remained cutting the last available "sticks", a sawyer's term for the South Australian blue gum (Eucalyptus leucoxylon):
It is to be regretted that many young trees, as straight as a candle, have been ruthlessly rung and cut up for firewood. During the silver mining craze scores of splendid young trees were cut up for boiler purposes. The tree, although indigenous here, has many enemies; its leaves and bark are subject to the damaging attack of insects which retard its growth somewhat, but its greatest enemy is the parasite mistletoe... The best cure for [this pest] is to send boys up the trees with tomahawks...
Mr. William Lewis was another resident engaged in the industry and he came out in 1853, aged seven, with his father Robert Lewis. The family first lived at Scroop's Gully, Cherry Gardens and after his marriage he engaged in pit-sawing, "that being the chief industry in the redgum country." He died in 1918 and his widow, Annie Lewis, was a daughter of Joseph Brown, a pioneer settler at Scott Creek.
The ornithological section of the Field Naturalists' camp held at Scott Creek in 1905 was fortunate in having Mr. J.A.W. Mellor as its leader and many interesting notes were taken;
The scarlet-breasted robin was observed on all the excursions and was a constant visitor to the camp... It was interesting to note how the bird pecked up and ate the white ants that had been disturbed while carrying on their depredations on the old forest trees, a circumstance that should recommend the robin to everyone. The white-throated tree-creeper was also busy dislodging insects from beneath the loose bark of the eucalyptus, uttering its well known ping. [The article continues at length and could be of interest to modern-day "bird watchers".]
100 yards flat race for men - G. Reid, G. Baulderstone.
Boys under 10 - M. Marker, R. Reid.
Girls under 14 - G. Mackrith [sic], J. Mason
Apple eating on string - L. Baulderstone, A. Slater
200 yards hurdle - G. Reid, C. Masters.
Slow bicycle race - A. Bowen, E, Matthews
Old buffers' race - B. Wickham, A Oliver.
Sack race - B. Slater, N. Rickaby.
Scott's Creek Sheffield - L. Holland, G. Reid.
Married Ladies Race - Mrs Mortimer, Mrs Williams.
400 yards handicap - R. Wickham, A. Mortimer.
Draught horse trot - J. Lewis
Draught horse gallop - J. Lewis
Information on the smelting works is in the Register,
12 June 1857, page 3f,
29 July 1865, page 2e and
the mine on
21 December 1867, page 7d; also see
2 December 1876, page 8b,
6 December 1876, page 3c,
7 January 1890, page 3g.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
The opening of a chapel is reported in the Register,
11 November 1858, page 2f.
An anniversary of the Wesleyan Sunday School is reported in the Register,
10 March 1866, page 2e.
Its school opened in 1893 and closed in 1942; see Chronicle,
29 July 1899, page 16c.
Information on John Scott is in the Observer,
7 and 14 November 1896, pages 16d and 27e,
4 November 1896, page 5a and
William R. Hill on
14 January 1899, page 5a,
21 January 1899, page 27e.
An obituary of Mrs W.R. Hill is in the Register,
8 March 1900, page 4h,
10 March 1900, page 21c,
of Mrs Fred C. Smith on 13 November 1920, page 19b.
A snow fall in the district is reported in the Chronicle,
3 August 1901, page 33c.
An obituary of John Miles is in the Register,
5 January 1903, page 7f.
An obituary of William Lewis is in the Register,
26 July 1918, page 6g,
of Mrs Sarah Virgo on 14 November 1919, page 6g.
"Felloe cutting" is reported upon in the Register,
31 December 1904, page 4h.
- Felloe cutting has given profitable employment to a good many pairs of sawyers from time to time for nearly 50 years. The industry is now drawing to a close; only one pair of men remain and these are cutting the last available sticks (sawyers' term). The South Australian blue gum cannot be surpassed for hardness and durability. It is to be regretted that many young trees as straight as a candle have been ruthlessly rung and cut up for firewood. During the silver mining craze scores of splendid young trees were cut for boiler purposes...
7 September 1905, page 6i.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Birds.
Photographs are in the Observer,
22 January 1911, page 30.
A "Back to Scott Creek" is reported in the Chronicle on
2 January 1930, page 4a.
A history of the district is in the Chronicle,
14 September 1933, page 57.