State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - A

    Alexandra - Algebuckina



    A subdivision of section 15, Hundred of Encounter Bay by Arthur F. Lindsay in 1865; now included in Victor Harbor. Mr Lindsay (1817-1895) built one of the first stone buildings in Victor Harbor which he named 'Alexandra'; in 1868 it became his family's summer house. As Princess Alexandra of Denmark married Edward, Prince of Wales in 1863 there appears to be no doubt that he had the Princess in mind when christening his home and subdivision.

    General Notes

    In August 1863 the Alexandra Bridge was opened and a newspaper report says:

    See note Hindmarsh River re the Alexandra Bridge.

    Alexandra - Algebuckina
    Place Names

    Alexandrina, Lake


    Discovered by sealers in 1828 and named by Captain Charles Sturt on 9 February 1830. At a later date he said:

    The mouth of the River Murray where it enters the lake was called jeratang by the Aborigines, based on jera -'leaf' and tanga - 'man', which referred to men hiding behind hand-shields of leafy branches when stalking game; this is the place from which Ponde escaped into Lake Alexandrina.

    General Notes

    Messrs Strangways and Hutchinson's account of an overland exploration from Adelaide is in the Register,
    20 January 1838, page 3d.

    A meeting of the Lake Alexandrina Steam Navigation Company is reported in the Observer,
    11 August 1866, page 4f (supp.).
    A trip across the lake is described in the Express,
    27 December 1866, page 3b,
    17 January 1867, page 3d,
    27 December 1866, page 3g,
    18 January 1867, page 2h; also see
    4 and 26 March 1867, pages 3b and 2g respectively.
    Also see under Place Names - Lake Albert.

    Steamers on the lake are discussed in the Observer,
    8 January 1870, page 3d,
    14 June 1873, page 7c,
    a mail steamer on
    20 March 1875, page 7g.
    A trial of a new steamer, Dispatch (sic), is reported in the Chronicle,
    7 April 1877, page 4f,
    10 March 1877, page 11f,
    7 April 1877, pages 8e-11d.
    Information on the mail steamer, Despatch, is in the Register,
    2 and 6 April 1877, pages 5 and 6c.
    Navigation lights are discussed in the Observer,
    29 December 1877, page 17g.
    Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.

    The reminiscences of Rev F. Slaney Poole are in the Observer,
    20 March 1926, page 60d.

    "The Lake Phenomenon" is in the Observer,
    8 April 1871, page 7d.

    Comment on pollution of the lake by algae and a report on the quality of the water is in the Observer,
    19 January 1878, page 12g,
    16 and 23 February 1878, pages 5f and 12b,
    2 March 1878, page 9d; also see
    7 February 1878, page 2c,
    16 January 1878, page 5a,
    13, 27 and 28 February 1878, pages 2a (supp.), 5b and 6f,
    14 February 1880, page 5b,
    13 April 1888, page 6f and
    Blanchetown and Murray, River.
    "Poison on theLlakes" is in the Register,
    6 April 1912, page 9d.

    "Fatal Boat Accident" is in the Chronicle,
    11 January 1879, page 21f.

    The surrounding district is described in the Register,
    9 January 1883, page 7a,
    15 June 1892, page 6a.

    A scheme for conserving fresh water in the lake is expounded in the Register,
    12 February 1887, page 6e.
    19 February 1887, page 13b.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    An article headed "A Week Upon the Lakes" appears in the Register,
    6 January 1890, page 6c and
    "Our Easter Holiday at the Lakes" on
    14 April 1890, page 7a,
    "A Week's Sport on the Lakes" on
    7 January 1899, page 9a.
    For a series of articles on hunting in the district see Place Names - Wellington.

    An article on and photographs of Wellington Lodge are in the Observer,
    24 October 1903, pages 13c-23.

    The district is described in the Register,
    15 June 1892, page 6a.

    A "serious outbreak" of an unexplained malady which caused the death of thousands of fish is reported in the Register, 11 November 1903, page 4g:

    "From Milang to Meningie" is in the Advertiser,
    17 January 1910, page 8d.

    "Scenes in a Shearing Shed" is in the Register,
    24 August 1910, page 8g,
    "Bird Life on the Lakes" on
    11 and 12 July 1913, pages 9e and 11a.

    "Solving Lake Problems" is in the Register,
    26 April 1912, page 8d.

    Concern at the lake's salinity level is expressed in the Advertiser,
    27 November 1913, page 14d.

    "Rainbow Trout in Lake Alexandrina" is in the Register,
    16 October 1915, page 8f.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Fishing.

    "Draining the Lakes - A Feasible Scheme" is in the Observer,
    3 March 1928, page 6a,
    8 March 1930, page 11a.

    Alexandra - Algebuckina
    Place Names



    In the Hundred of Tickera 16 km WNW of Bute. The town was proclaimed on 24 August 1882.

    Henry Alford, born in Acton, Middlesex on 12 February 1816 came to South Australia in 1836 in the John Pirie. He joined the police force in about 1839 resigning with the rank of Inspector in 1853 to become a successful businessman. He died in 1892.

    General Notes

    A lengthy letter from Mr Alford is in the Observer of
    4 and 11 January 1879, pages 20g and 13a - in it he makes mention of his service with the SA Police; also see
    28 and 30 December 1878, pages 6f and 7d-1g (supp.),
    6 and 9 January 1879, pages 7b and 5g,
    17 August 1886, page 5d.

    "The First Police Constable" is in the Chronicle,
    1 January 1887, page 6e.
    Further reminiscences and an obituary appear on Register,
    22 and 24 February 1892, pages 6d and 6c,
    27 February 1892, pages 7d-26b.

    The infant town is described in the Register,
    24 November 1882, page 7c:

    An Arbor Day is reported in the Observer,
    16 August 1890, page 35d.
    Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.

    An Oddfellows' sports day is reported in the Observer,
    4 October 1902, page 33e.

    The Alford School was opened as "Peela Weela" in 1883.
    A photograph of students and teachers is in the Chronicle,
    19 June 1909, page 32.

    Comment on the local water supply is in the Register,
    1 February 1887, page 6h.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    Alford - Obituaries

    An obituary of Dennis McMahon is in the Observer,
    18 May 1912, page 41a,
    of Mrs Elizabeth J. Prouse on 13 July 1912, page 41a,
    of T.R. Heath on 6 May 1916, page 33c,
    of Phillip Cock on 27 July 1918, page 19c.

    Alexandra - Algebuckina
    Place Names



    A railway station 48 km south of Oodnadatta on the former Marree-Alice Springs line is an Aboriginal name of a nearby waterhole recorded by A.T. Woods in 1872. The town was laid out in 1890 and proclaimed on 21 July 1898.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.

    The survey of the town in 1890 was, no doubt, prompted by the gold find in the area - "as far as can be ascertained about 60 ozs. of gold were got up to March 1887 ... [at] a waterhole called Algebuckina" - see Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 199.

    Further information on the goldfield is in the Register,
    5, 8 and 18 November 1886, pages 5c, 6e and 5g,
    14, 20 and 31 December 1886, pages 6e, 5b and 6h,
    12 July 1889, page 6f,
    21 October 1893, page 7d,
    3 May 1889, page 2c.
    An interview with the discoverer of the field, Mr R.H. Biddle, is reported on
    21 November 1903, page 5e:

    Also see
    1 January 1904, page 4h.
    A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
    December 1888, page 133;
    photographs are in the Chronicle,
    6 August 1931, page 32.

    "Algebuckina Tragedy" is in the Register,
    26 April 1926, page 7g,
    27 July 1926, page 9g,
    "The Algebuckina Murder" is in the Chronicle,
    31 July 1926, page 46a.

    Alexandra - Algebuckina