Place Names of South Australia - M
Marshfield - McLeay, Point
- Martin, Cape
- Marum Island
- Mary Burt Corner
- Mary Vale
- Mary Vale Creek
- Mary, Mount
- Maslin Beach
- Massacre, Lake
- Matawarrungalla Creek
- Matta Flat
- Maurice, Lake
- May Town
- Maynard Well
- Mayurra, Hundred of
- McClander Bay
- McDouall Peak
- McFarlane Hill
- McGorrery, Hundred of
- McGregor, Hundred of
- McHarg Creek
- McIntyre, Mount
- McKenzie Landing
- McLachlan, Hundred of
- McLaren Flat
- McLaren Vale
- McLeay, Point
It took its name from a farm established circa 1855 on the section by the Everard family, who named it after a town in their native Gloucestershire.
"Old Time Memories" is in the Register, 20 November 1919, page 5b.
- Dr Everard established his home at what is known as Ashford, but Marshfield where his granddaughter (Mrs W.G. Nash) is residing, was a portion of this estate originally selected... Messrs Wilkinson, Sando and Wyles will submit a number of building sites on Saturday next...
Near Beachport. [Captain George Martin, a mariner - R. Cockburn.]
The suicide of a Captain Martin, "one of the earliest colonists", is reported in the Register, 26 February 1842, page 2d:
We regret to hear that Captain Martin, one of the earliest colonists..., put an end to his existence, at the rooms he lately occupied in Currie Street, as a store for agricultural produce... The awful deed is attributed to depression... occasioned by a reverse of fortune and more immediately to a verdict for £20 which had been obtained against him... His widow and large family are left totally unprovided for... A subscription is being got up...
In the Sir Joseph Banks Group, named by Matthew Flinders in 1802 after Sir Joseph Banks' agent.
Guano deposits on this island in the Sir Joseph Banks Group are described in the Advertiser, 21 July 1909, page 5g:
[It] is covered with darkish soil from 6 to 18 inches thick and is chiefly composed of sand and guano... The principal workings are situated on the south-eastern end... Eighty tons of guano, which contained 30 per cent tricalcic phosphate, have been marketed from these workings...
Mary Burt Corner
North-east of Lorne on the Port Wakefield Road; it is thought that Mary Burt conducted a general store on this site.
Information from Mrs Marie Galbraith of Mallala, via Mr Brian Verrall, indicates that the "Burt's were pioneers. They came to live between Wild Horse Plains and Inkerman when the country was all scrub. They started a private school and opened a wine shop..."! - indeed, a strange combination?
An obituary of Mrs Mary Byrt (sic) is in the Observer,
21 February 1925, page 37e.
Parliamentary Paper no. 38 of 1865 shows T. McTurk Gibson taking up pastoral lease no. 568 on 30 June 1857, 'SW of Parla', while on 18 July 1860 Messrs Horn, Main and Morphett acquired lease no. 828 'NW of Mount Cooper'. Further, on 4 June 1858 C. Lindsay and T. McT. Gibson took up lease no. 642 at 'Streaky Bay' and later pastoral maps show that 'Maryvale Head Station' stood on this lease and pastoral records also show that the name 'Maryvale' was applied to the aforementioned leases 568, 642 and 828 when they were consolidated into leases 2014, 2015 and 2016 by W.A. Horn in 1863. The name 'Maryvale' does not appear on pastoral maps until occupation of the land by W.A. Horn and it is of some interest that the Christian name 'Mary' was bestowed on his daughter born in 1884.
Information supporting the tenure of land comprising "Maryvale" as expressed in Manning's Place Names of South Australia is in the Register,
22 February 1910, page 10a; also see
7 February 1898, page 7d for reminiscences of "Mr Horn's Maryvale Station" in the 1860s.
The property is described in the Advertiser,
16 August 1906, page 9a.
A report of the death of a shepherd, John Jamieson, is in the Register,
22 January 1870, page 5c.
A banquet to Mr W.A. Horn is reported in the Register,
16 August 1884, page 6g.
This school on Eyre Peninsula opened as "Oakdale" in 1919 becoming "Mary Vale" in the same year;
it closed in 1939.
An obituary of John McDonald is in the Observer,
28 June 1924, page 28a.
Mary Vale CreekThe Register of 11 February 1858 (supp.) at page 2 locates it as being "West of Hamilton".
On Kangaroo Island in the Hundred of Seddon, named by Captain Bloomfield Douglas after his fourth daughter.
As regards the hill which lies adjacent to the Town of Mount Mary in the Hundred of Beatty 35 km east of Eudunda, H.C. Talbot says:
- It was given by Samuel Dixon, who held pastoral country in the vicinity in 1864. Dixon told me on 16 July 1895 that he named it Mound [sic] Mary after a favourite sister.
Information on its water supply is in the Register,
18 September 1885, page 6e,
6 November 1885, page 6f.
... Up to a fortnight ago the residents were allowed to obtain their water from the dam free of charge, but now the government had let it to a Mr Stephenson and a fee was charged for the water, half of the fee going into his pocket, the consequence being that the selectors were submitted to great hardship. All their dams were dry and they could not get the water from elsewhere. The residents promised to keep the reservoir in repair if the Government would allow them free of charge the water until the rain came and filled their tanks...
6 April 1909, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Its school opened as "Krichauff" in 1886 the first teacher being D.D. Cogan;
name changed in 1902 and closed on 17 May 1956 when students transferred to the Bower School.
"Mount Mary Tragedy" is in the Register,
18 and 20 February 1899, pages 6d and 6a,
25 February 1899, page 13,
25 March 1899, page 30a.
"A Swagman Shot" is in the Register,
8 and 20 February 1905, pages 3e and 3b.
A sports day is reported upon in the Register,
3 September 1907, page 9g.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs P.M. Schroeder is reported in the Register,
24 July 1911, page 6i.
Samuel Dixon's reminiscences are in the Register,
19, 20, 23 and 27 July 1912, pages 9a, 18a, 8e and 15d,
3 August 1912, page 18d;
his obituary is in the Advertiser,
26 August 1927, page 15d.
An obituary of James Bradley is in the Register, 4 February 1913, page 6h,
Observer, 8 February 1913, page 41b.
"Exciting Affray at Mount Mary" is in the Register,
27 October 1916, page 9b.
MarybankAn obituary of Mrs F.E. Fox is in the Register,
27 May 1895, page 5b,
1 June 1895, page 44c.
A subdivision of sections 53 and 75, Hundred of Pirie by James Henderson Howe (1839-1920) in 1876; now included in Risdon Park; he named it after his daughter.
The Register of 2 November 1891 at page 7h says that "Maryville" [sic] was the local name for "Howe Town" [Howellton?] at Port Pirie.
Thomas Maslin (c.1809-1890), who purchased sections 371-72, Hundred of Willunga, from Bernard Hartley for £240 in 1849.
An obituary of Thomas Maslin is in the Register,
12 August 1890, page 5b,
16 August 1890, page 36b.
George Ezekiel Mason (1811-1876), a police trooper and first Sub-protector of Aborigines at Wellington.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
An editorial on the Aborigines under his protection is in the Register,
21 January 1859, page 2e.
After 20 years of service in the area the government dispensed with the position of Sub-Protector of Aborigines and George Mason was "thrown out of employment" - see
Parliamentary Paper 45/1862 and
14 June 1862, page 2e,
14 June 1862, page 4h.
His obituary is in the Register,
29 July 1876, page 5c; also see
14 and 19 August 1876, pages 6a and 5d.
Mr Mason, judging from his reports generally, believes that civilization and hard work are synonymous terms. He is not only anxious to show that the natives of Wellington have so far thrown off their savage habits as to keep regular and remunerative employment, but he misses no opportunity of comparing their physical progress with any other attempted improvement of the aboriginal, and of maintaining that, in becoming industrious, they are becoming civilized. He says :
As regards religious instruction, I am afraid not much can be done; in fact, from what I know of the natives, after living twenty years among them, I think industry will advance their civilization more than anything else... (Register, 21 January 1859, page 2.)
24 August 1867, page 2g,
24 August 1867, page 5c.
Biographical details and photographs of both George Mason and his wife are in the Advertiser,
22 August 1934, page 21b.
"Murray Bridge and Mason's Crossing" is in the Express,
14 December 1882, page 2b.
The area is described in the Register,
11 June 1883, page 6c.
Near Innamincka, named by John McKinlay on 20 October 1861 on account of his party being attacked by Aborigines. It was here that his party found the grave of Gray, a member of Burke and Wills expedition.
The Register of 7 December 1861, page 2g says: "... some stress has been laid on the circumstance of a piece of nautical almanac of 1858 having been found [there]... a circumstance regarded as tending to fix the date of the murdered men's departure from the settled districts..."
Matawarrungalla CreekAccording to the Advertiser of 15 December 1934, page 20a it is an Aboriginal word meaning "big lot of Matta trees", a bitter bush growing in the locality.
An 1864 description of the property is in Dr Charles Davies' diary which is held in the Mortlock Library.
Information on the mine is in the Chronicle,
26 March 1870, page 6a,
7 January 1871, page 13b.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
Matta FlatThe Matta Matta Mine was "situated near Kadina and Wallaroo Mine... The mine was worked as a separate property for a short time to the beginning of the mining industry on the Peninsula... The operations of the proprietors were, however, suspended in consequence of the influx of water; and ultimately the mine was included in the property of the Wallaroo Company."
The "North-East Matta" was situated on sections 223-224, Hundred of Wallaroo.
See Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), pages 141 and 105.
The mine is described in the Register, 16 June 1863, page 3h.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
North of Ooldea, discovered by Ernest Giles in 1875 and named by F.R George in 1904 after the explorer, Richard Thelwall Maurice, whose most notable expeditions, all equipped at his own personal expense, were to the Rawlinson Ranges and across the continent from Fowlers Bay to Wyndham in Western Australia.
Information on R.T. Maurice's explorations is in the Chronicle,
20 April 1901, page 30b,
7 December 1901, page 32a,
2 and 5 December 1901, pages 5c-f and 6h; also see
25 February 1902, page 7i,
28 October 1902, 5b,
21 and 25 November 1902, pages 5b and 5e,
17 and 20 December 1902, pages 7h and 6g,
16 February 1903, page 4f,
18 March 1904, page 5a,
28 May 1904, page 7d,
24 January 1905, page 4d.
His obituary is in the Register, 26 April 1909, page 5a;
also see Observer, 1 May 1930, page 54a.
In July 1878 the Corporation of Port Pirie obtained the land grant of section 540, Hundred of Pirie and in October 1901 cut the land up into building blocks which it leased on fifty year terms; the land reverted to the Crown in 1942. The name may relate to Queen Mary, affectionately known as .'May', the wife of King George V, both of whom arrived in March 1901 when His Majesty, then the Duke of York, opened the first parliament of the newly federated Commonwealth of Australia.
Of interest is the fact that May Brothers and Co's foundry was situated in Port Pirie - see Register, 27 November 1894, page 7f.
At the firm's invitation about 100 of the leading business men assembled at May Brothers & Co's foundry to witness the starting of new machinery... The foundry was started only two years ago. Today it covers six acres and gives constant employment to 24 hands...
William Wadham (1824-1895) married Jane Cooper (1831-1912) circa 1852 in Adelaide and with Luke M.Cullen created Maylands on section 278, Hundred of Adelaide in 1877. There is a Mayland (sic) in Essex, England from whence the Cooper family emigrated.
Information on the Wesleyan Church is in the Register,
29 November 1884, page 5d,
29 November 1884, page 2e.
Another epoch in the history of Methodism at Maylands was reached... when the foundation stones were laid of a new church. The ceremony was preceded by a service which was presided over by the Rev W.A. Dunn. Hymns as an anthem were sung by an augmented choir under the conductorship of Mr T.T. Mitchell. Prayer was offered by the Rev J. Blacket and there was Scripture reading by Rev J. Watt.
15 May 1885, page 6b.
The case of Adelaide (North-East) Suburban Land and Investment Co versus Wadham is discussed in the Advertiser,
7 October 1885, page 4c.
Mr Wadham's obituary is in the Register,
9 December 1895, page 5d.
The suggestion made by Rodney Cockburn that he was twice-married is disspelled by an obituary of Jane Wadham, "the widow of the late W.W. Wadham", in the Observer,
18 January 1913, page 41a:
Mrs Wadham went to England over 43 years ago and took her two sons and daughter for the purpose of having them educated...
10 September 1887, page 7c and
the Adelaide Pottery on
15 April 1893, page 6c;
the London Pottery Co is described in the Register on
28 July 1903, page 6g.
Information on a football club is in the Express,
22 March 1888, page 4e,
16 March 1889, page 4d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
Local burglaries are commented upon in the Chronicle,
2 July 1898, page 17d.
Information on the school is in the Register,
22 August 1898, page 4g,
15 October 1898, page 10g,
10 November 1898, page 5h,
22 October 1898, page 5d,
2 December 1898, page 2c.
The laying of the foundation stone of Saint Mark's Church is reported in the Register,
8 September 1902, page 6g,
5 November 1927, page 15d.
Information on the London Pottery Works is in the Register,
10 February 1904, page 7f.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
Biographical details of William Vincent are in the Observer,
10 August 1907, page 43a.
A photograph of a horse tram is in The Critic,
16 December 1908, page 23.
The flooding of the suburb is reported in the Register,
20 August 1909, page 5a and
the laying of the foundation stone of the Church of Christ on
13 December 1909, page 10d; also see
22 November 1926, page 6h and
19 August 1927, page 14a.
A sketch is in the Chronicle,
16 October 1926, page 53.
Also see Adelaide - Natural Disasters.
A fire at Melville's furniture factory is reported in the Observer,
13 December 1913, page 54b.
Information on the hotel is in the Express,
10 June 1918, page 1f.
"Methodism in Maylands" is in the Register,
24 March 1924, page 13g.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Miscellany - Methodists and Wesleyans.
A photograph of Paul Martin and family is in the Observer,
17 March 1928, page 38.
Maylands - Obituaries
An obituary of J.T. Church is in the Register, 25 July 1897, page 5a,
of John Bennets on 12 June 1903, page 5a,
of B.F. Maegraith on 8 December 1903, page 5b.
An obituary of William Blight is in theObserver, 10 June 1905, page 34c,
of Mrs Catherine Davies on 25 July 1908, page 40a,
of Mrs C.E. Whitridge on 12 March 1910, page 42a,
of E.H. Best on 21 June 1913, page 41c.
An obituary of E.M. Rio is in the Register, 11 January 1910, page 4i,
of R.J. Shepherd on 19 November 1910, page 13b,
of Mrs Sarah Smith on 21 February 1911, page 6i,
of Mrs Julia P. Everett on 3 February 1912, page 15c,
of Mrs Mary Read on 25 December 1912, page 12i,
of Edward H. Best on 17 June 1913, page 6g,
of Mrs Rebecca Campain on 18 September 1919, page 6h.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Chinner is in the Register, 1 May 1922, page 6h,
of William Gray on 12 September 1922, page 8h,
of W.S.C. Collins on 14 September 1922, page 10h,
of James Pointon on 4 August 1923, page 16e,
of William S. Lisle on 25 September 1925, page 8h,
of Mrs E.J. Gifford on 22 April 1927, page 8h,
of Mrs Hannah M. Austin on 10 August 1927, page 11d,
of Mrs Rebecca S. Charlton on 9 September 1927, page 8h,
of Eli Gamlen on 16 November 1927, page 15a.
An obituary of Mrs Mary C. Lang is in the Observer, 29 July 1916, page 19d,
of George Fidge on 13 January 1917, page 31a,
of Mrs Ruth Harman on 1 July 1922, page 20a,
of William Mitchell on 13 February 1926, page 39b,
of L.W.H. Heysen on 4 February 1928, page 49c,
of Mrs Bridget Gason on 18 August 1928, page 49b.
An obituary of Louis W.H. Heysen is in the Register, 31 January 1928, page 8g.
In the North Flinders Ranges. Probably named after Harry Maynard, a boundary rider of the 1870s.
The Chronicle of 5 March 1910, page 42c has a report of a Henry Maynard being "forty days without food" in the Far North.
Probably named after Harry Maynard, a boundary rider of the 1870s;
see Register, 5 December 1925, page 9d for an interesting story of his life and times.
Mayurra, Hundred of
A corruption of the Aboriginal word meaning 'fern fronds'.
See Parliamentary Paper 55/1874 for correspondence in respect of the sale of lands in the Hundred.
McClander BayThis school on Yorke Peninsula is mentioned in the Advertiser,
6 March 1877, page 6c.
McDouall PeakInformation on this pastoral property is in the Observer,
29 March 1924, page 18e.
Near Goolwa. Allan McFarlane (1792-1864), who took an occupation licence 'West of Lake Victoria' (now Alexandrina) on 26 February 1844.
A farewell dinner to Mr Allan MacFarlane (sic) is reported in the Register,
8 June 1858, page 3c.
His obituary appears on 12 March 1908, page 4h.
Letters from him relating to his northern exploration are in the Advertiser,
10 and 20 August 1858, pages 3c and 2g.
Information on "Wellington Lodge" is in the Observer,
22 October 1898,
24 October 1903, pages 13c-23.
McGorrery, Hundred of
John McGorrery, a member of John McD. Stuart's overland expedition in 1861-62.
His obituary is in the Register, 10 January 1914, page 13d.
McGregor, Hundred of
G. McGregor, MLC (1894-1901). Born in Scotland in 1848 he came to South Australia in 1877. By 1891 he was involved in the trade union movement and held several executive positions, becoming the first SA Labor representative in the Commonwealth Senate which he came to dominate through his tactical shrewdness. 'His speeches were usually short and spontaneous with a calculated vulgarity which led him to be accused of a coarse, brutal directness.' Outside of politics he was genial and good natured. He died in July 1914 and was given a State funeral.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
"Some of the Farmers" is in the Register, 17 October 1911, page 3b.
At present the only farming is done by Messrs Goode and Padman who have about 250 acres under cultivation. Contrary to the usual practice they do not burn the timber when clearing but instead load it on to their own ketches and forward it to Port Pirie where a ready and profitable market is found for it as firewood...
In the Hundred of Kuitpo. John McHarg (1792-1859), an early settler.
The loss of Sarah McHarg is reported in the Register,
19 June 1843, page 3b and
21 and 23 January 1926, pages 12g and 3f; also see
9 September 1843, page 5a.
For information on the McHarg family see Register,
10 February 1928, page 14e.
Also see Geoffrey H. Manning, The Memoirs of Thomas Frost.
John McIntyre, the manager of the Glencoe run for the Leake brothers.
Information on the drainage works is in the Register,
1 March 1882, page 6f,
26 August 1882, page 6g.
The gross incompetency of many of the members of the Civil Service in this part of the country has led to many serious blunders in the public works (for which we all have to pay)... on the Mt McIntyre Flats there are now some 200 men... The work is supposed to be measured up on or about the 25th of each month, but the men are not paid until the middle of the following month... a private contractor would not be allowed to treat his employees in this style... I know of instances where men have left their wives and families in Victoria, and who are now unable to send them a penny... It may matter very little to the Government official who can go flashing about the country in his buggy and pair making believe that he has the affairs of a nation on his shoulders...
If any reader of this letter thinks my language too strong just let him pause and bethink of all the blunders he can recall committed by public servants, such as the piles of Kingston jetty. the levels of the Rivoli Bay pier, the rails imported into the colony and passed by the officials thereof, the Wallaroo jetty and a host of other instances that I might adduce of the shameful mismanagement of the public works of South Australia...
The school opened in 1897 and closed in 1944.
The reminiscences of Archibald Walker are in the Register,
21 September 1903, page 2i.
An obituary of Neil Houston is in the Register, 10 October 1910, page 4f,
Observer, 15 October 1910, page 41a,
of T.H. Williams in the Register, 1 August 1927, page 11e.
William McKenzie, a pioneer pastoralist, who took up block 1 of 17,800 acres, Hundred of Moule in 1889.
The school opened in 1906 and closed in 1907.
Information on Mr McKenzie taking up land is in the Observer, 22 August 1891, page 31c.
Mr William McKenzie, formerly a resident of Wauraltee, has just returned from a short visit from the West Coast, where he has taken up some 17,000 acres of land in Charra and has been engaged there for nearly two years in agricultural pursuits...
24 November 1900, page 8.
"Chat With a West Coast Veteran [W. McKenzie]" is in the Register,
7 August 1906, page 5c.
His obituary is in the Register,
1 December 1906, page 7g.
The early settlement at Denial Bay is described in the Advertiser,
24 December 1909, page 6h.
Lake McKinlay and Mount McKinlay were named after John McKinlay (1819-1872) the explorer.
See Manning's Place Names of South Australia page 198 for further details.
A discussion of his diary is in the Register,
13 November 1862, page 2f. Also see
22 and 26 November 1862, pages 2d-3d and 3h-6d.
John McKinlay's obituary is in the Register, 1 January 1873, page 5c and
his wife's in the Observer, 21 February 1914, page 41a.
McLachlan, Hundred of
J. McLachlan Snr, MP (1893-1902). Born in Scotland in 1842 he came to South Australia in 1864 when he farmed in the Alma District. Upon his death in October 1904 he was lauded as 'one of the most useful and highly esteemed residents. He was prominent in the Christian Church in which he had been an efficient and zealous worker for 30 years.'
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A school of this name opened in 1929 and closed in 1944.
McLaren FlatThe laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Church is reported in the Chronicle,
25 August 1866, page 2e and
its opening in the Register,
29 December 1866, page 2c.
A picnic on Mr Wilkinson's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
8 January 1898, page 16b.
- The annual picnic was held on Christmas Day on Mr Wilkinson's paddock...The events were well contested and resulted as follows:
100 Yards Maiden Race - E. Denton, H. Williams
Boys'Race, under 14 - Thorpe, Price
100 Yards Hurdle Race - E. Mason, A. Elliott
Egg and Spoon Race - E. Mason, T. Denton
135 yards Handicap - E. Denton, T. Denton, H. Richards
Pick-a-Back Race - A. Elliott and L. Townsend, E Denton and T. Denton
Girls Race - E. Liddiard, M. Liddiard
Hack Jumping - Mr E. Ware's Maud, Mr G. Bell's Topsy
Hack Race - T. Denton, W, Sigston
Tilting - R. Jarvis, G. Bell and L Reed divided second. There were ten entries in this event.
3 July 1915, page 29.
Biographical details of William Oakley are in the Register,
3 March 1917, page 9b.
The unveiling of the War Memorial Hall is reported in the Register,
11 December 1922, page 8c.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
"A Fruitful and Beautiful District" is in the Register,
18 October 1927, page 12f.
McLaren Flat - Obituaries
An obituary of William Hardy is in the Register,
13 August 1908, page 5b.
An obituary of Thomas Burgan is in the Register, 21 April 1920, page 7b,
Observer, 24 April 1920, page 14c.
George McLeay, second in command to Captain Charles Sturt in 1830.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
A letter re the mission station is in the Register, 19 November 1859, page 2e.
The Lord Bishop of Adelaide has made a most gratuitous attack upon me [Samuel Tomkinson]... I ask what was in my letter to warrant his imputing to me - "a greater regard for the flesh of the bullock than for the souls and bodies of the aborigines?" I might with equal propriety accuse His Lordship with cooping up the blacks at Poonindie and killing their bodies for the sake of their souls... Does the Bishop own no land which was originally taken from the natives, or derive no revenues from places once occupied by them as hunting grounds? ... Let me inform the His Lordship that the site of Point Mcleay, when granted to the Society, was not a government reserve, but was part of Mr Baker's rented run and it was not until I had pointed out the wrong done to him that the present Commissioner of Crown lands resumed that portion of the run...
also see Parliamentary Paper 165/1860 and 210/1862.
Other references to the mission are to be found in the Observer,
1, 15 and 29 September 1860, pages 3c, 7a and 7a,
23 February 1861, page 5f,
27 February 1864, page 3e,
12, 19 and 27 September 1860, page 3a, 3a and 2h,
15 October 1860, page 3e;
22, 26 and 27 February 1861, pages 2f, 3g and 3c;
2 and 5 December 1861, pages 3b.
Also see Observer,
17 December 1864, page 6f,
26 March 1867, page 2h,
11 April 1867, page 2h,
11, 16, 23 and 26 September 1867, pages 2e, 2e, 2e and 3b;
8 May 1869, page 2h.
A report from the Protector of Aborigines is in
Parliamentary Paper 210/1862.
A feature article entitled "A Visit to Point McLeay" appears in the Register,
16 November 1863, page 3b; also see
a report from the Bishop of Adelaide on
19 December 1864, page 3a.
"The Point McLeay Mission" is in the Observer,
17 December 1864, page 6f.
A Christian marriage ceremony between Aborigines is reported in the Register,
28 August 1866, page 2g - for a further exposition of the subject see
18 January 1867, page 2h.
The celebration of Christmas Day is described on
3 January 1867, page 2f,
while a report on the mission by Revs. J. Lyall and F.W. Cox appears on
16 April 1868, page 3f.
The opening of a Native Church "at Reid Town, Point McLeay" is reported in the Observer,
8 May 1869, page 6b.
The ordination of Mr Taplin is reported in the Register,
5 November 1868, page 2b; also see
2 December 1871, page 5b,
9 May 1873, page 6f,
18 September 1875, page 6b.
His obituary appears on
25 July 1887, page 5a and
that of his son on
23 March 1889, page 6g; also see
26, 27 and 28 March 1889, pages 4f, 7c and 5b.
The mission is described in the Chronicle,
1 January 1870, page 5f.
The result of a cricket match, Point McLeay versus Norwood, is in the Register,
29 May 1872, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A petition from the Aborigines Friends Association is in Parliamentary Paper 155/1874.
Parliamentary Paper 43/1875 has correspondence in respect of a jetty.
A report on the mission is in the Chronicle,
17 January 1874, page 12f,
12 January 1878, page 20a.
The Aboriginal station is described in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
8 January 1875, page 5b,
22 March 1879, page 13b; also see
20 and 31 March 1879, pages 5g and 6f,
27 December 1879, page 6b,
17 August 1885, page 3g,
9 September 1886, page 3d,
4 and 8 November 1886, pages 3g and 7g,
18, 19 and 30 November 1886, pages 7g, 7e and 6b,
23 April 1887, page 6c,
24 November 1887, page 5c,
15 and 16 June 1888, pages 5b and 7f,
4 November 1890, page 6c,
3 January 1894, page 3f.
A history of the mission is in the Advertiser,
18 April 1894, page 6h,
30 July 1894, page 5g,
4 August 1894, page 42c,
17 September 1898, page 18e,
14 January 1899, page 20a,
19 June 1909, page 46.
12 and 13 December 1895, pages 6c and 4g,
6 April 1896, page 5h,
14 December 1896, page 6,
17 July 1900, page 4f,
8, 13, 14 and 30 August 1900, pages 6h, 4f, 6e and 8g,
22, 24 and 25 October 1902, pages 4f, 4h and 4c-6g,
25 November 1903, page 6d,
28 January 1905, page 10f,
15 March 1907, page 5c,
6 and 17 April 1907, pages 4i and 7h,
14 June 1910, page 8h,
27 May 1908, page 6.
Photographs are in the Observer,
18 May 1907, page 30,
29 May 1909, page 30,
19 June 1909, page 31,
2 March 1912, page 31,
26 June 1909, page 31,
4 September 1909, page 29,
4 December 1909, page 29,
6 May 1911, page 29,
15 July 1911, page 32,
5 April 1934, page 32.
Also see Advertiser,
9, 12 and 16 April 1907, pages 6d, 4i and 6e where the Aborigines express a desire for "more food and less prayer".
Details of a football match in Adelaide and subsequent events are in the Register,
6 and 8 July 1885, pages 6h and 5b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
"The Native Glee Club" is in the Register,
12 December 1896, page 5e,
12 December 1896, page 4e; also see
13, 14, 17 and 21 August 1900, pages 2b, 2g, 4d and 4a.
Photographs taken at the mission are in the Chronicle,
1 August 1903, page 44.
"Half-Castes at Point McLeay " is in the Register,
14 and 20 December 1904, pages 9f and 6e.
Also see South Australia Aboriginal Australians - Mixed Descent.
"Eastertide at Point McLeay" is in the Register,
6 April 1907, page 4a,
13 April 1907, page 40d.
A photograph of the school teachers, Mr & Mrs Francis, is in the Observer,
4 April 1908, page 30.
"The Story of Fifty Years" is in the Register,
21 June 1909, page 3h; also see
1 May 1909, page 13h,
23 June 1909, page 3e,
10 March 1910, page 6d,
29 January 1921, page 3g,
23 August 1924, pages 8d-11g,
18 September 1924, page 10a,
5, 6 and 18 September 1924, pages 14c, 9f and 10a.
"Work at Point McLeay" is in the Express,
10 February 1916, page 4e.
"Among the Blacks at Point McLeay" is in The News,
18 and 29 February 1924, pages 5b and 6e,
22 August 1924,, page 1e.
The reminiscences of Mrs C. Thornley are in the Register,
4 February 1925, page 10g and
of William Leslie on
4 December 1925, page 10d.
Photographs of an anniversary celebration for Captain Sturt are in the Observer,
23 October 1930, page 32.
Point McLeay - Obituaries
An obituary of David Blackwell is in the Register, 4 January 1893, page 5b.
An obituary of John Sumner is in the Register, 27 November 1905, page 4g.
An obituary of James Uniapon, "the first native missionary", is in the Register, 30 October 1907, page 4f.
An obituary of Mrs H.E. Read is in the Register, 15 October 1923, page 8f.
An obituary of Mrs Louie Adams is in the Observer, 4 October 1924, page 38b,
of Harry Hewitt on 13 November 1930, pages 56e-57b.
An obituary of C.E. Taplin is in the Observer, 4 June 1927, page 44a.