State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    South Australia - Flora and Fauna

    Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

    A need for a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals is discussed in the Register,
    1 April 1867, page 2d,
    7 and 8 December 1875, pages 3b and 3a,
    11 December 1875, page 11f,
    27 November 1875, page 4g and
    7, 13, 15 and 16 December 1875, pages 5a-6a, 5f, 6f and 5e;
    7 December 1875, page 6a,
    1 April 1876, page 13c,
    31 May 1877, page 5e.

    The first meeting of the society is reported in the Observer,
    2 June 1877, page 10d; also see
    16 June 1877, page 18e.

    Information on the society is in the Register,
    18 October 1904, page 4f.

    An editorial on the Society is in the Advertiser,
    4 January 1905, page 6d; also see
    16 January 1905, page 4e,
    23 and 24 May 1905, pages 4c and 6g (annual general meeting),
    11 June 1912, page 12a,
    1 July 1913, page 8d.

    "Kindness to Dumb Creatures" is in the Register,
    23 and 24 May 1905, pages 4d and 4f-7c.

    "Cruelty to Animals" is in the Register,
    27 June 1906, page 7c.

    A photograph of Mrs J.M. Ennis, secretary of the association, is in the Observer,
    30 June 1906, page 29a.

    "Justice to Dumb Animals" is in the Register,
    26 August 1908, page 6d.

    "Four Footed Friends - Man's Inhumanity to Beasts" is in The Mail,
    18 May 1912, page 4f.

    "A Deserving Society" is in the Register,
    11 June 1912, pages 6d-e-f-9g.

    "Animals Protection Act" is in the Register,
    20 June 1913, page 6f,
    "The Protection of Animals" on
    30 June 1913, page 12d.

    "Kindness to Animals" is in the Register,
    1 and 3 June 1914, pages 8c and 9b-15d.

    "Mr Nesbit and the SPCA" is in the Register,
    8 June 1914, page 17c.

    "Protection of Animals" is in the Advertiser,
    2 and 3 June 1914, pages 14d and 19a,
    The News,
    15 June 1928, page 8c.

    The work of the (Royal) Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals" is discussed in the Register,
    21 June 1915, page 7b,
    3 June 1916, pages 5e-6e,
    25 October 1917, page 9a,
    19 June 1918, page 4h,
    26 May 1922, page 9a; also see
    3 June 1922, page 21c,
    12 and 16 June 1924, pages 10e and 9h,
    16 June 1927, page 8g,
    21 June 1928, page 8g.

    Biographical details of Mrs A.P. Evelyn O'Leary are in the Register,
    1 June 1921, page 8e.

    "Animal Week" is in the Advertiser,
    10 September 1921, page 10g,
    11 September 1922, page 10g.

    "Protecting Dumb Animals" is in the Advertiser,
    9 September 1926, page 8h,
    "Our Poor Relations" on
    20 June 1929, page 12g.

    "A Day's Work at the SPCA" is in the Register,
    5 October 1926, page 8d.

    "Animal Clinic Closes" is in The Mail,
    28 June 1930, page 27f.

    "New Horse Ambulance" is in The News,
    20 May 1935, page 9f.

    Flora and Fauna - Choose again


    Also see Adelaide - Public Nuisances - Dogs.

    "Wild Dogs" is in the Observer,
    20 December 1845, page 5c.

    "Extermination of the Wild Dog" is discussed in the Register,
    27 and 30 March 1852, pages 3b and 3a; also see
    3 September 1870, page 7f,
    15 October 1870, page 9f,
    1 June 1871, page 6, 24 July 1897, page 2e,
    24 July 1897, page 2e,
    5 March 1898, page 29a,
    5, 7, 10, 11, 15 and 24 February 1898, pages 9a, 7d, 6d, 6c, 6a and 6d,
    3 March 1898, page 5i.

    "Wild Dog Adventures" is in the Observer,
    5 February 1881, page 249b.

    "Dogs" is in the Chronicle,
    7 October 1882, page 5e,
    "The Dog Nuisance" on
    7 June 1884, page 9d,
    9 May 1885, page 7d,
    "Proposed Tax on Dogs" on
    12 and 26 July 1884, pages 12a and 4e,
    2 August 1884, page 6e,
    20 September 1884, page 5e; also see
    13 December 1884, page 5b,
    28 March 1885, page 5d.

    "The Dog Evil" is in the Register,
    9 and 25 June 1884, pages 3h and 6h,
    8 August 1884, page 4g.

    "The Vagrant Dog Nuisance" is in the Register,
    4 June 1884, pages 5a-6h; also see
    12 and 13 September 1884, pages 4g-5b and 6b,
    22 November 1888, page 4g.
    "The Dog Act Near Unworkable" is on,
    10 December 1884, page 7c.

    "Dingos and Vermin-Proof Fencing" is in the Register,
    2 September 1893, page 6d.

    "How to Catch Wild Dogs" is in the Register,
    13 July 1896, page 3a.

    "The Wild Dog" is in the Register,
    13 July 1897, page 5e,
    "The Wild Dog Act" on
    21 January 1898, page 7a.
    A cartoon is in The Critic,
    26 February 1898, page 13.

    "The Dog Poisoning Expedition" is in the Observer,
    5 and 12 February 1898, pages 4c and 5e,
    5 March 1898, page 29a.

    "Destroying the Dingo" is in the Chronicle,
    12 and 19 February 1898, pages 40c and 40b,
    "Destruction of Wild Dogs" in the Express,
    30 June 1898, page 2g.

    "A Chat on Dogs" is in the Register,
    28 June 1904, page 6d.

    "Wild Dogs and Fences" is in the Observer,
    17 March 1906, page 42a,
    "Wild Dogs on Crown Lands" in the Advertiser,
    25 July 1906, page 10a,
    3 August 1906, page 10c; also see
    11 and 14 May 1907, pages 8g and 10d,
    29 May 1909, page 9e,
    23 June 1911, page 10g,
    3 June 1914, page 18f,
    17 October 1914, page 7a,
    5 June 1909, page 39a,
    16 May 1912, page 2c,
    7 March 1913, page 6d and Northern Lands - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Miscellany.

    "Running Down Wild Dogs" is in the Observer,
    25 April 1908, page 13c,
    2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 May 1908, pages 13a, 13c, 16a, 16a and 15e,
    6 June 1908, page 14d,
    18 May 1912, pages 13a-39a.

    Photographs of a dingo-hunting party are in the Observer,
    29 July 1911, page 30,
    15 November 1913, page 31.

    "After Dingo Scalps" is in the Register,
    16 September 1911, page 18a. "The Curse of the Dingo" is in the Chronicle,
    7 November 1914, page 10a.

    "The Triumphant Dingo" is in the Register,
    13 April 1906, page 3f,
    "The Origin of the Dingo" on
    19 January 1914, page 6g,
    "Dingo and Fox Menace" on
    11 June 1924, page 9e.

    "Wild Dog Destruction" is in the Observer,
    18 July 1914, page 14d.

    A letter from Samuel Dixon on the subject of the "Wild Dog Pest" is in The Mail,
    24 May 1924, page 10g.

    "Hunting the Wild Dog" is in the Observer,
    7 July 1928, page 50d,
    "The Wily Scalp Hunter" on
    20 October 1928, page 18a,
    3 and 24 November 1928, pages 19a and 6a.

    "Dingo - The Outcast" is in the Advertiser,
    14 November 1930, page 10g,
    "Border Fence and Dingo Menace" on
    24 August 1934, page 30c.

    An interesting "Chat on Dogs" is in the Register,
    28 June 1904, page 6d; also see
    2 September 1904, page 6i.

    "The Triumphant Dingo" is in the Register,
    13 April 1906, page 3f.

    "Sheep or Dingo? - Which Is It to Be?" is in the Register,
    9 August 1906, page 9a.

    "Antipathy to Alsatians" is in The Mail,
    25 June 1927, page 3d,
    2 July 1927, page 16e,
    "Is the Alsatian Safe - Wolf Ancestry a Menace" in the Register,
    23 June 1927, page 10c,
    2 and 7 July 1927, pages 19d and 10f,
    17 September 1927, page 7b,
    21 and 30 March 1928, pages 6f and 13d,
    11 April 1928, page 13h,
    11, 13, 24, 25, 27 and 31 July 1928, pages 10a, 10h, 11e, 12h, 11e and 11f,
    4 and 18 August 1928, pages 51c and 44a,
    24 May 1929, page 18c,
    15 June 1929, page 15b,
    5 July 1929, page 20f,
    8 August 1929, page 21f,
    20 August 1931, page 7f,
    26 July 1934, page 18e,
    29 August 1934, page 17d,
    5 September 1934, page 18f.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    27 August 1927, page 33.

    "The Domesticated Dog - On Farm and Station" is in the Advertiser,
    28 November 1908, page 12a.

    The first show of the Bulldog Club is reported in the Advertiser,
    2 May 1910, page 6h.

    "Wild Dogs' Scalps - Fund in Difficulties" is in the Register,
    8 October 1919, page 7e.

    "Hunting the Wild Dog" is in the Register,
    2 July 1928, page 14f.

    "Long Police Hunt - Dog Scalp Payments" is in the Register,
    25 September 1926, page 8f.

    Training dogs for police work is discussed in the Advertiser,
    31 August 1935, page 11g.

    Flora and Fauna - Choose again

    Fish and Other Sea Creatures

    Also see: South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fishing

    The Menace of Sharks

    (Taken from an unpublished manuscript by Geoffrey H. Manning, Glenelg- 1836-1936 - A Social History, - copy in the State Library.)

    The first fatality in South Australia has always been believed to have occurred at Brighton in 1926, but there were incidents in the 19th century which cast some doubt on this assertion. The Adelaide Times of 5 April 1855 says that during the stay of the Malacca at Port Wakefield, Captain Coleman's child was found to be missing and some days later persons on the ship saw the body of a child in the water and a large shark devouring it. Of course, this evidence is not substantiate that she was actually taken by a shark, but there is evidence that she fell overboard from the ship.

    In 1862 the following letter appeared in the Register:

    It appears that this tragedy refers to a youth named Barnard who disappeared at Glenelg whilst swimming and a newspaper reference at this time merely states that the body 'had not been discovered.'

    On 18 March 1926 Mrs Kathleen Whyte, the wife of a Port Augusta squatter, was taken by a shark while holidaying at Brighton. Later, a drinking fountain comprised of Australian and Balmoral granite was made by Mr John Tillett of Adelaide at the behest of the women of Brighton and dedicated to her memory. Mrs Whyte had resided for many years in the town and had taught a number of children to swim, promoted the welfare of the district and had been an ardent war worker.

    The first shark attack at Glenelg was reported in 1929 when a girl's wild cry of 'Help!', 'Help!' attracted the attention of the crew of the yacht Valkyrie participating in the race for the Plympton Cup on 9 February. The call came from a frail canoe occupied by a young woman and male companion, while the man was seen 'striking at a large shark in the water and the girl... in a state of collapse.'

    The Valkyrie left the competition and veered in the direction of the canoe and as it did so the shark started thrashing the water into foam around the canoe and made off as the yacht came closer. It was a large blue pointer about 12 feet long:

    Following this attack two regular boat fishermen in the area made the following comments:

    Late in December 1931 the Brighton council decided to erect a shark watch tower while comment from the Town Clerk of Glenelg, Mr F.L. Lewis, suggested that his corporation was not to follow suit because, 'Glenelg had been very free from shark scares.'

    General Notes

    A boat attacked by a shark is reported in the Register,
    13 February 1855, page 3d.

    A shark tragedy of 1855 is recalled in the Register,
    20 April 1926, page 8f and
    rebutted on
    27 April 1926, page 3d.

    Sharks in SA waters is the subject of a report in the Register,
    24 March 1873, page 6c.
    "Sharks" are discussed on
    20 February 1917, page 6c,
    10 February 1922, page 6h,
    7 December 1925, page 5a,
    29 and 30 March 1926, pages 9g and 8c-11d,
    10 and 15 April 1926, pages 9f and 15e.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    25 February 1922, page 25.

    "Swallowed by a Shark" is in the Observer,
    5 May 1906, page 38c.

    "Sharks" is in the Observer,
    24 February 1917, page 48e.

    "Ware Sharks" is in the Observer,
    25 February 1922, page 43d,
    18 March 1922, page 18d,
    "Exciting Encounters with Sharks" on
    15 December 1923, page 76a,
    29 March 1924, page 43c,
    "Shark Catching" on
    7 February 1925, page 62e.

    "Shark Yarns" is in the Register,
    24 March 1924, page 3f,
    29 March 1924, page 43c.

    "Menace of the Man-Eating Shark" is in The Mail,
    23 February 1924, page 1a,
    19 April 1924, page 1a,
    17 May 1924, page 1c,
    28 November 1925, page 17a,
    "Shark Catching as a Hobby" on
    3 April 1926, page 1a.

    Information on sharks is in the Observer,
    21 November 1925, page 56b,
    19 December 1925, page 59b,
    3 April 1926, page 43a.

    "Woman Killed by Shark - First Victim in South Australia" is in the Register,
    19 March 1926, page 9h; also see
    29 and 30 March 1926, pages 9g and 8c,
    10 April 1926, page 9f.

    Shark Sensation - Crack Racehorse Attacked [at Grange]" is in the Observer,
    17 April 1926, page 19e.

    "Shark Attacks Canoe" at Glenelg is in The Mail,
    9 February 1929, page 1f; also see
    16 February 1929, page 1f.

    "Denizens of South Australian Waters" is in the Advertiser,
    19 December 1931, page 9h,
    "Sharks in SA Waters" on V 14 December 1935, page 11g.

    "To Get Rid of Sharks" is in The News,
    17 January 1934, page 5h,
    2 February 1934, page 2g.

    "Combating the Shark" is in the Advertiser,
    29 October 1937, page 28d.

    "South Australian Eels" is in the Observer,
    7 February 1874, page 7e.
    "Old Industry [of Sealing] Revived" is in the Observer,
    6 May 1871, page 8d,
    "A Sealing Cruise" on
    24 May 1873, page 7f.

    "Whales in the Gulf" is in the Observer,
    8 October 1898, page 28d.
    Photographs of whaling are on,
    27 December 1913, page 31.
    "A Young Blue Whale - Adventure in the Gulf" is on,
    26 September 1925, page 11a,
    "Slaughter of Whales" is the Advertiser,
    27 May 1927, page 15d.

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fishing - Whaling.

    Flora and Fauna - Choose again