State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - I

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount


    See Adelaide - Asylums, Reformatories and Homes.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Ilinawortina Creek


    East of Lyndhurst, corrupted from the Aboriginal ilhaurtunha - 'berry bush place'; the berry bush Enchylaena tomentosa grows there.

    General Notes

    An interview with a former lessee of the run, Mr J.B. Jones, is reproduced in the Advertiser,
    10 July 1899, page 6b.

    The Register of 12 April 1924 at page 7f has an article in respect of "Illawortina [sic] Pound" - "Remarkable Locality with a Curious History":

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Ingle Farm


    James Rowe took up 100 acres in section 3030, Hundred of Yatala in 1849. His grandson, Jabez, carried on the farm in later years and called it 'Ingle Farm' because he had married a Miss Wright from Inglewood. In 1959, the SA Housing Trust purchased 730 acres from the Rowe brothers and started a housing estate. Another version of its nomenclature was received 'second-hand' from the Rowe family. It says that Jabez Rowe named his farm 'Stony Heights', or such-like, and his wife who had an affiliation with a place named 'Ingle' in Scotland persuaded him to make the change.

    However, Martha Barbara Wright was born in South Australia on 24 May 1868 and in 1902 she married Jabez Sleeman Rowe when her address was given as 'Inglewood'. Further, the 'Scottish Connection' is disproved by the obituary of William Wright (father of Mrs Rowe) in the Chronicle of 1 September 1923, page 50c - this says he was born in Middlesex, England and arriving in South Australia in 1849; 'two years later the young couple went to Inglewood'.

    General Notes

    For information on the families see
    27 September 1902, page 25b,
    15 September 1943, page 8b,
    GRO Memorial Book no. 79, page 37,
    John Lewis History of Salisbury, page 171.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    Six kilometres east of Modbury. Firmin Deacon, publican of Adelaide, purchased part section 5513 in June 1857 and erected an hotel thereon which he called 'Inglewood'. The name comes from Yorkshire, England.

    General Notes

    Mr Deacon purchased the land from William Reeds of Houghton (see memorial book 128, page 34);
    There is an Inglewood Forest in Cumberland, England which extends from Penrith to Carlisle.
    Of interest is the fact that a village of Houghton lies about 4 km north of Carlisle.

    A suggestion as to its nomenclature similar to that espoused by Rodney Cockburn is in the Advertiser,
    20 February 1912, page 6g.

    The destruction of Lambert's store by fire is reported in the Observer,
    28 January 1865, page 8c,
    4 February 1865, page 4b (supp.):

    "A Mining Venture" is in the Register,
    25 May 1870, page 5b.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Inglis Point

    "The southern point near Point Drummond" was named after the Port Adelaide Harbormaster in 1910 - see Advertiser,
    21 January 1910, page 6e.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names


    This school opened in 1968 and closed in 1975.
    It may relate to "Ingomar Station", the name of a pastoral lease west of Lake Eyre South.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    Governor MacDonnell named the Hundred after a Crimean War battleground.

    General Notes

    Boring for coal in the vicinity is reported upon in the Observer,
    14 May 1892, page 27b,
    20 October 1894, page 32c.
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    The Hundred of Inkerman School opened in 1884 and closed in 1894;
    Inkerman School opened in 1885 and changed to "Raglan" in 1891;
    Inkerman Centre School opened in 1892 and changed to "Malakoff" in the same year.

    A picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
    4 January 1896, page 15a and
    a sports day on
    9 January 1897, page 11d,
    1 January 1898, page 20b.

    The village is described in the Register, 14 January 1904, page 6f:

    An obituary of Michael Burt is in the Register,
    26 July 1906, page 5a,
    Observer, 28 July 1906, page 38d.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Inkster, Hundred of


    A.H. Inkster, MP (1905-1907). He was born in 1866 at Riverton where he was educated. Later, he moved to Elliston and was appointed a clerk to the local district council and secretary to the Elliston Vermin Board. He also carried out farming operations and was first elected a Member for Flinders at the general elections in May 1905. He was a staunch advocate of land settlement and the only local representative of the large and growing district of Port Lincoln and the West Coast in either House. He died at his parents' home in Elliston in 1907;

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Politics.

    Mr Inkster's obituary is in the Register, 1 April 1907, page 5a.

    Its school opened in 1925 and closed in 1947.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Inman Valley


    Henry Inman, the first Inspector of Police in South Australia. When he left that position he became a pastoralist and while travelling overland with a flock of sheep was wounded in an encounter with Aborigines near Lake Bonney, Riverland. He returned to England and entered the ministry as a Church of England Pastor in Derby.
    Also see an essay under South Australia - Police.

    General Notes

    An article on the district is in the Observer, 23 September 1854, page 9d:

    "Girl Lost in the Bush" is in the Observer,
    20 September 1856, page 7f.

    The opening of a Congregational Chapel is reported in the Register,
    16 October 1856, page 3.

    A ploughing match is reported in the Register,
    13 September 1860, page 3e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.

    Examinations at the local school are reported in the Register,
    23 December 1863, page 2g;
    it opened in 1860 and closed in 1970; Lower Inman School opened in 1892 and closed in 1893.
    Information on local schools is in the Observer,
    10 March 1923, page 53c.

    J.W. Porter's property, "Glen Brook", is reported upon in the Register,
    3 December 1902, page 8f; also see
    17 and 19 October 1917, pages 9e and 6g.

    A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
    4 January 1908, page 43e and
    a Show on
    26 February 1910, page 40e; also see
    22 February 1911, page 12g,
    12 March 1927, page 8e.
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    The district is described in the Register,
    4 May 1892, page 6b,
    2 August 1910, page 5c,
    13 August 1910, page 10a.

    Citrus growing is discussed in the Register,
    29 December 1921, page 5c.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    Inman Valley - Obituaries

    An obituary of John Crossman is in the Register, 27 May 1892, page 5b,
    of H.R. Martin in the Observer, 4 October 1913, page 41a,
    of William Adey on 20 December 1913, page 41a,
    of Mrs John Prouse on 11 July 1914, page 39a,
    of Isaac Hurrell in the Register, 27 December 1923, page 6f.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Inman, River

    The perils of crossing it during winter are related in the Register,
    17 July 1862, page 2f:

    The opening of a bridge across it is reported in the Register,
    26 August 1863, page 4a and
    of a new bridge on
    4 November 1913, page 9b.

    A flood is reported in the Observer,
    12 October 1867, page 8c.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.

    The opening of a bridge is reported in the Observer,
    8 November 1913, page 47c.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    A corruption of an Aboriginal word meaning 'deep dark hole'. The 'Innamincka Run' was established by J. Becker in 1874 (lease no. 2407). The town 592 km north-east of Port Augusta was proclaimed as 'Hopetoun' on 17 April 1890, taking its present name on 28 January 1892.

    General Notes

    See Place Names - Hopetoun.

    "The State of the Country at Innamincka" is in the Register,
    22 May 1884 (supp.), page 1f and
    a proposed railway on
    13 October 1898, pages 4f-7c,
    23 November 1899, page 4d.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer, 21 January 1888, page 17c:

    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    Flooding throughout the area is reported upon in the Chronicle,
    16 May 1891, page 9b.
    "Floods in the North-East" is in the Register,
    1 May 1906, page 6h.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.

    The Advertiser of 27 November 1891, page 4e says, inter alia - "Innamincka is to retain its name and Lord Hopetoun is to have another country village named after him..."

    "Innamincka Railway Bill" is in the Register,
    6 and 13 October 1898, pages 6f-7f and 4f-7c; also see
    23 November 1899, page 4d.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.

    Its school opened in 1904 and closed in 1923.
    A school picnic is reported in the Register,
    5 June 1905, page 3i.

    Photographs of town and district are in the Observer,
    13 January 1906, page 29,
    15 July 1916, page 26,
    of a donkey team on
    14 August 1909, page 30,
    of a mail coach in the Chronicle,
    23 November 1918, page 26,
    of a corroboree on
    28 December 1933, page 28.

    "Wanted - Frequent Mail Service" is in the Register,
    18 November 1907, page 9g.
    Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.

    Biographical details of Alfred Walker, station manager, are in the Register,
    24 September 1908, page 6g,
    Observer, 19 September 1908, page 16b.

    Information on the nursing home is in the Observer,
    22 and 29 March 1924, pages 19e-35b and 36e,
    25 March 1924, page 9e,
    13 October 1924, page 7i; also see
    28 March 1924, page 18b,
    The Mail,
    8 June 1929, page 18e.
    Also see South Australia - Women - Nurses and Female Doctors.

    A Show is reported in the Advertiser,
    5 March 1928, page 6g.
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    The name was applied to a post office on Yorke Peninsula 10 km north-west of Stenhouse Bay, while an article titled 'Founding a New Town' is in the Advertiser, 26 October 1927, page 16c: 'It was named, with due ceremony, after its founder, Mr W.R.D. Innes', a director of the Peninsula Plaster Company which took up leases for the harvesting of gypsum north of Cape Spencer. Its former name was 'Cape Spencer'

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.

    "Founding a New Town" is in the Advertiser,
    26 October 1927, page 16c:

    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    11 October 1924, page 40.

    The Advertiser of
    26 June 1934, page 10e says, inter alia, "named after W. Innes, the enterprising pioneer of the gypsum industry." James Andrew Stanley Innes of Inneston is described as a "mine manager" in Sand and McDougall's directory of 1935, page 586.
    His death notice is in the Advertiser on
    23 December 1948, page 10b.

    Its school opened as "Cape Spencer" in 1919 and changed in 1928; it closed in 1950.

    "Self-Contained Settlement" is in the Observer,
    5 November 1927, page 22e.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    29 October 1927, page 36.

    A History of Inneston

    From about 1915 a village flourished amidst dense scrub at the bottom of York Peninsula its very existence being supported by the manufacture of plaster of paris derived from gypsum deposits in a local lagoon. Its creation, according to a contemporary newspaper report, was due to "the genius of one man":

    Its foundation was undertaken by an enterprising man, W.R.D. Innes, who began to exploit gypsum deposits in the vicinity of Cape Spencer in 1913. By horse and dray locomotion he made his way through scrub country and camped in a valley overlooking the Althorpe Islands and beside a gypsum lake. He enticed his brother, J.A.S. Innes, away from his Victorian farm and, later, his son, Hector, joined the firm that was to become the Peninsular Plaster Company after experimental work had been carried out in Melbourne.

    Great determination and ingenuity were displayed in creating and nurturing the industry; for example, soundings and tide movements were recorded every day for two years before the site of a jetty was decided upon in Stenhouse Bay, which was named after a director of the Peninsular Plaster Company. At the outset the gypsum was shipped over a cliff face by a chute until the jetty was erected at a cost of £11,000. At this time the government, in its wisdom, levied jetty dues for the company's privilege of shipping from a place erected and maintained at its expense!

    At first the gypsum was shipped to Melbourne for treatment but by 1916 the manufacture of plaster was commenced at the lake and by 1927 the factory was operating for twenty-four hours a day on every day of the week and over the period 1916-1927 300,000 tons of gypsum were extracted. The raw gypsum was blasted from the deposit and transported on a ropeway to a dump from which it was fed into a hopper. It was then crushed, washed and calcined in six kettles and delivered to in bags as plaster of paris to the jetty along a narrow gauge tramline, the hauling being done by oil-driven tractors.

    In the early days of the settlement the workers were housed under canvas but as the company flourished it built substantial stone houses and gave them to the married men, rent free, while bachelors were supplied with quarters for board and lodging at nominal rates. A community hall was erected and fitted with a piano and gramophone and a post office and school built at company expense. By 1927 there were 80 men on the pay-roll and at that time few communities in South Australia could match the number of motor cars per head of population.

    The residents lived well; "only the best quality goods [were] demanded and the store [sold] up to six hundred-weight of chocolates per month [sic]."

    Although the settlement was within 80 kilometres of larger peninsula towns it was isolated except by sea communication. To ease this situation the company established its own mail, telegraph and postal services. Mr Innes constructed nine miles of telephone line and, later, handed it over to the Post and Telegraph Department only to be advised that his company was to be charged for using it and was asked to "investigate the most trifling irregularity in the service" conducted by company clerks.

    The supply of bread and meat was unsatisfactory so one of the workers was appointed to the position of both baker and butcher. Bread was made at set intervals and cattle were obtained from the company's herd of some 200 beasts and killed three times a week; he sold his produce over the shop counter, ran his own motor car and had his "rooms fitted with an elaborate wireless set and other devices."

    The settlement had its own general store, fully stocked, where items were sold at reasonable prices, and a chemist, while sporting enthusiasts were provided with a cricket and football oval, croquet ground and golf links. Electricity was provided to all houses and commercial buildings, an agency for two banks was conducted by company clerks while in the mid-1920s arable land within the leasehold was planted with barley; thus, "all of the 14,000 acres [sic - other reports state 200 acres as the total holding] held in the lease [was] being tested for its full productivity."

    Until 1927 the settlement was known simply as "the camp at Cape Spencer" but following a parliamentary visit in October 1927 members of the party decided that the town should have a name, "and it was named with due ceremony after its founder..."

    The town wasted away and by 1973 it was uninhabited and it is now included in the Innes National Park, while the community hall was demolished by the park authority to prevent unauthorised occupation of the premises by itinerant campers. The impact of the town on the environment within the park remains today - woodcutters' tracks wend their way through the scrub in all directions where native timber was cut to feed the steam-powered boilers at the gypsum works. This prime heritage site was neglected until 1992 when an enthusiastic group, including former residents, commenced a rehabilitation programme for the remnants of this unique town.

    R. Lockhart Jack, The Salt and Gypsum Industry of South Australia, Advertiser, 26 October 1927, page 16c, 5 February 1992, page 22, Observer, 5 November 1927, page 22e, West of the Peesey.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    Near Woodside, named by Dr William Innes, after his home in Scotland.

    General Notes

    The opening of the Caledonian Church is reported in the South Australian,
    23 January 1849, page 2b:

    Also see
    15 October 1864, page 3b;
    a photograph is in the Observer,
    30 March 1912, page 32.
    Historical information is in the Register,
    18 January 1860, page 6c,
    18 November 1908, page 6e,
    19 February 1927, page 8c.

    Information on the Scotch Church is in the Register,
    8 July 1858, page 3f; also see
    19 July 1913, page 19b and
    11 and 13 January 1916, pages 4e and 7e.

    "The Auld Inverbrachie Kirk" is in the Advertiser,
    18 July 1913, page 13f,
    26 July 1913, page 48b,
    15 January 1916, pages 30 (photo.)-33b.

    Reference to its school is in the Government Gazette of
    28 July 1853.
    A public meeting called to discuss the erection of a school is reported in the Register,
    30 September 1856, page 2f,
    2 August 1856, page 3d - "The present schoolroom [is] neither wind nor water tight."

    An obituary of William Drummond is in theRegister, 24 June 1897, page 4h,
    Observer, 26 June 1897, page 29b.

    A ploughing match and horse race meeting is reported in the Adelaide Times,
    23 October 1850, page 3e.

    The aftermath of a fire is traversed in the Observer,
    30 March 1912, page 26c.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.

    Its nomenclature is referred to in the Register,
    7 November 1928.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Irish Town

    Information on it is in the Express, 23 June 1884, page 2f:

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Iron Bank


    A subdivision of part section 420, Hundred of Noarlunga 8 km south-west of Crafers by C.M. Morgan in 1962; it comprised of 13 allotments along Ironbank Road. Iron ore was mined in the area in the 1850s.

    General Notes

    Its school opened in 1937.

    An obituary of Charles Morgan is in the Observer,
    24 February 1912, page 41a,
    of Mrs F.G. Brown on 12 August 1916, page 20b,
    of Mrs C. Morgan in the Register, 3 August 1923, page 8h.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Iron Baron


    A subdivision of section 131, County of York 48 km west of Whyalla by The Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd in 1936.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    A proposed railway is discussed in the Register,
    25 August 1900, page 11a,
    19 September 1900, page 9i:

    Its school opened in 1939.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Iron Knob

    (See Place Names - Corunna.)


    Fifty kilometres west of Whyalla; its school opened in 1903. The first recorded landholder in the area was James Patterson in 1854 when he took up pastoral lease no. 369 which he named 'Cooroona Hill'. In 1878 Sir Samuel Davenport sent iron ore samples to London and in 1880 Ernst Siekman pegged out leases and formed a company, but due to non-payment of rent the lease lapsed and so, in 1896, the BHP Co. arrived on the scene and by 1899 ore was being transported by bullock drays which took two days to reach Port Augusta.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    "The Great Iron Mountain at Caroona" is in the Register,
    23 May 1892, page 3c,
    4 June 1892, page 38a:

    A proposed private railway from "Iron Monarch mine to Backy Bay" is reported in the Observer,
    30 June 1900, page 30e; also see
    30 November 1901, page 31a,
    15 September 1900, page 10c.

    Its school opened in 1903.

    The township, mine and railway are described in the Register,
    16 September 1901, page 3g,
    25 November 1901, page 4h,
    26 May 1906; also see
    17 November 1900, page 32a,
    2 June 1906, page 44c,
    8 November 1906, page 7d,
    31 May 1913, page 40a,
    31 May 1913, page 33,
    11 September 1913, page 4b,
    25 October 1913, page 45a,
    12 August 1926, page 2f.

    "Ironworks for SA" is in the Observer,
    21 October 1911, page 44e,
    1 February 1913, page 45a,
    14 April 1917, page 14d.

    "The Iron Mountains" is in the Register,
    12 January 1915, page 7a; also see
    11 April 1917, page 6h,
    5 July 1921, page 7d,
    7 October 1921, page 7a,
    15 October 1921, page 44c,
    24 December 1926, page 11e,
    14 October 1930, page 6d.

    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    2 October 1915, page 27,
    14 April 1917, pages 26-27,
    9 July 1921, page 37a,
    3 April 1926, page 33-52e,
    28 July 1932, page 34,
    26 October 1933, page 37.

    "Demolishing a Mountain" is in the Advertiser,
    14 October 1933, page 18g; also see
    24 January 1934, page 27c,
    3 August 1935, page 18h.

    Photographs of a race meeting are in the Chronicle,
    7 January 1932, page 34.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Iron Mine

    The Register of 6 October 1871, page 7d records the opening of the new Primitive Methodist Chapel "at Iron Mine, Gum Creek", near Burra:

    Also see
    2 October 1880, page 24d.

    A "fatal occurrence" is reported in the Observer,
    8 June 1872, page 7f.

    A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
    17 February 1900, page 21b,
    24 March 1906, page 15d.

    A photograph of the opening of a school is in the Chronicle,
    11 August 1923, page 33,
    of the memorial Sunday school on
    18 August 1923, page 30.

    Iron Mine - Obituaries

    An obituary of Thomas Fairchild is in the Register,
    30 January 1904, page 3h,
    of Mrs M. Fairchild on 1 January 1913, page 6h.

    An obituary of William Holmes is in the Observer,
    7 July 1917, page 19a,
    of Walter Morgan on 18 October 1924, page 38e,
    of Mrs W.L. Langsford on 17 January 1925, page 37c.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Irvine, Port

    The Register of 2 October 1896, page 5b talks of this place "near Point Sinclair".

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names



    The village, now a suburb of Adelaide, was laid out by Bentham Neales (1806-1873) and in July 1840 he was to report:

    It has its origin in London, England and derives from either the Old English gisel - 'a hostage' and tun - 'a town' or iseldone -'the lower town or fort'.

    General Notes

    The subdivision is advertised in the Register,
    6 April 1839, page 5d; also see
    Southern Australian,
    4 September 1840, page 3:

    The new railway works are described in the Register,
    12 May 1882, page 4g; also see
    9 December 1884, page 6a,
    31 May 1886, page 5b-h,
    18 May 1887, page 6d,
    13 and 25 June 1887, pages 7b and 5b,
    21 July 1887, page 7d,
    21 July 1887, page 7d,
    25 February 1892, page 6c,
    8 January 1894, page 6a,
    23 July 1902, page 4c,
    23 October 1902, page 11h,
    The Critic,
    13 September 1902, page 1 (photographs).
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways.

    Sketches are in the Pictorial Australian in
    July 1886, page 109 and
    photographs in the Observer,
    2, 9 and 16 July 1904, pages 23, 24 and 25,
    3 March 1923, page 30.
    A farewell to J. Brown is reported in the Register,
    1 June 1885, page 7b.

    "A Day at Islington - Where the Carriages are Built" is in the Register on 27 and 28 June 1904, pages 6a and 7d;
    also see Advertiser,
    21 July 1905, page 6h,
    20 May 1911,
    10 August 1912, page 21f,
    27 October 1927, page 46a.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    11 and 18 June 1910, pages 32 and 32.

    Biographical details of W. Whiteford, R.J.H. Barkla, W.J. Tredwin, J. Richards, M. Braddock, J. Cheesman and A.H. Elliot are in the Register,
    13 July 1914, page 11b.

    Information on the Primitive Methodist Church is in the Register,
    17 October 1882, page 6d,
    2 February 1885, page 6e.

    The laying of the memorial stone of the Anglican Mission Church is reported in the Register,
    17 November 1884, page 6f.

    The sewage farm is described in the Chronicle,
    9 September 1882, page 13b,
    4 July 1885, page 7b; also see
    18 May 1887, page 6d,
    2 September 1887, page 6f,
    21 and 28 April 1888, pages 9d and 4d,
    21 January 1891, page 7b,
    11 January 1892, page 6d,
    11 July 1895, page 6d,
    12 and 13 March 1901, pages 5h and 4f,
    Parliamentary Paper 174/1879.

    "The Sewage Farm and Typhoid Fever" is in the Register,
    25 July 1888, pages 4h-6b; also see
    26 and 31 July 1888, pages 7f and 7b. Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid
    "The Adelaide Sewage Farm and Co-operative Dairy" is reported upon on
    11 January 1890, page 6e,
    "Dairy Cows at Sewage Farm" on
    28 December 1921, page 6e. Also see Adelaide - Public Health - Milk Supply
    "Obnoxious Smells Resented" is in the Register,
    26 August 1924, page 9e.

    Alleged "sly-grogging" at the Working Men's Club is discussed in the Register, 16 and 18 November 1886, pages 5a and 4g:

    A proposed school is discussed in the Advertiser,
    8 July 1893, page 7d.

    Engine manufacture is discussed in the Register,
    28 March 1902, page 4h.

    An obituary of John Mundy is in the Register,
    26 May 1908, page 6i.

    Photographs of the opening of a bowling club are in The Critic,
    3 November 1909, page 9, Also see South Australia - Sport - Bowling
    of a railway's picnic committee on
    5 March 1913, page 21.

    A wartime incident under the heading "Trampled the Flag" is reported in the Register,
    23 November 1914, page 6b.
    Photographs of an anti-gambling crusade are in the Observer,
    23 September 1916, page 27.

    "The Islington Strike" is in the Register,
    26 November 1915, pages 6d-7a,
    4, 21 and 25 December 1915, pages 11b, 4i and 8h.
    Also see South Australia - Industrial Relations - Miscellany.

    "Retrenchment at Islington" is in the Register,
    31 January 1917, page 6h,
    2 and 15 February 1917, pages 3b and 5c.

    "Reorganising Islington" is in The News,
    18 May 1925, page 7b,
    "Wonderland at Islington" in the Advertiser,
    3 May 1926, page 11f; also see
    9 July 1927, page 51.

    "Efficiency at Islington" is in The News,
    6 May 1936, page 12f; also see
    20 August 1936, page 24c.

    "New Sewer Works Planned" is in the Advertiser,
    23 April 1937, page 29e.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Itali Itali


    The name given to pastoral lease no. 59 in July 1851 by H.J. Richman; meaning unknown. The school was opened in 1890 by Ellen Halbert and closed in 1945.

    General Notes

    A photograph of school students are in the Chronicle,
    20 April 1933, page 33.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount
    Place Names

    Ive, Mount


    North of Buckleboo, named by Stephen Hack in 1857 after Fred Ive. The 'Mount Ive Run' was established by J.C. Hamp in 1868 (lease no. 1771).

    General Notes

    Information on the pastoral property is in the Observer,
    19 January 1924, page 49b.

    Ilfracombe - Ive, Mount