State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - F

    Fairfield - Fern Hill


    The Fairfield Apiary near Mount Barker is mentioned in the Observer, 23 May 1885, page 10d:

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Beekeeping

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names


    Mr W.H. Trimmer's vineyard "On the River Sturt at the foot of the hill on which stands the Flagstaff Inn" is described in the Chronicle, 21 June 1862, page 4e:

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables

    A photograph of a Fairford tennis team is in The Critic,
    4 April 1906, page 16.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Fairview Park

    The Register of 30 November 1860, page 4c
    talks of a property near Walkerville owned by Lt-Colonel Freeling and called "Fairview".

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names


    Farina Town by W.H. Cornish in 1878 on a reserve surrounding 'Gums Waterhole' and proclaimed on 21 March 1878. Land adjoining Farina was first taken up by Messrs George Henry Davenport and William Fowler in July 1859. The Oxford dictionary defines the word as 'flour or meal of corn', but when naming it Governor Jervois was sadly astray if he expected the country to yield bountiful harvests. A newspaper correspondent, who frowned upon the choice, suggested that the next two towns should be called 'Bran' and 'Pollard' while another described it as 'by no means a pretty township situated as it is on an extensive sandy plain...' The name Farina was adopted on 5 April 1979.

    "The Gums Waterhole" is in the Express,
    30 December 1874, page 2d.
    An informative letter in respect of "Government Gums" is in the Chronicle,
    3 April 1875, page 9d.

    "Wants of Government Gums" is in the Observer,
    21 October 1876, page 7c,
    "Mail Contact With Farina Town" on
    15 June 1878, page 20c.

    A sale of allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
    13 April 1878, page 4e,
    29 June 1878, page 4d.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the hotel by an Aboriginal woman is reported in the Chronicle, 22 June 1878, page 21d:

      A somewhat novel ceremony took place on 5 June 1878 when the foundation stone of Mr. Mackay's hotel was laid by an Aboriginal native woman. The dark lady, having been previously instructed, performed her part admirably and with the utmost coolness, The mortar having been spread and the stone squared and plumbed, the lubra took the hammer and, lightly tapping the stone, repeated some native words... This hotel being the furthest north in South Australia, the proprietor was desirous of having the first stone laid by one of the Aboriginal inhabitants...

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
    10 January 1880, page 70e.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    "The Farina Reserve" is in the Chronicle,
    31 January 1880, page 12d,
    21 February 1880, page 11a.

    Its school opened in 1879 and closed in 1957.
    Photographs of an Arbor Day are in the Chronicle,
    26 September 1908, page 30.
    Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days

    Information on the town's water supply is in the Register,
    26 February 1881 (supp.), page 1f and
    1 March (supp.) 1881, page 1f; also see
    12 February 1886, page 5e,
    17 May 1889, page 7g,
    30 December 1891, page 5b,
    2 January 1913, page 6d,
    11 July 1918, page 5f,
    2 January 1892, page 39d.
    A photograph of the reservoir is in the Chronicle,
    14 January 1911, page 32.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    Feature articles on the railway are in the Advertiser,
    17 and 20 December 1881, pages 6d and 6b;
    its opening is reported in the Register,
    15, 16 and 19 May 1882, pages 5a-6a, 4d-5g and 6a.
    "To Farina and Back" by rail from Adelaide is described on
    26 June 1882, page 6a.
    Reminiscences of the construction of the line from Port Augusta appear on
    6 November 1922, page 10e,
    4 December 1922, page 11d.
    "The Farina Free Passes" is in the Register,
    26 and 29 June 1882, pages 4e-6a and 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.

    The town and district are described in the Advertiser,
    9 September 1878, page 6e,
    7 January 1882, page 18d,
    27 January 1887, page 6d; also see
    22 October 1889, page 6h,
    13 November 1897, page 14d,
    15 and 22 January 1898, pages 29e and 32d,
    19 February 1898, page 15a,
    20 January 1898, page 7d,
    16 February 1898, page 6e,
    28 October 1899, page 9e,
    5 June 1909, page 43b,
    15 July 1922, page 13d.
    A history is in The Mail,
    16 October 1937, page 26c.

    "Wants of Farina" is in the Register,
    5 and 21 July 1883, pages 3f (supp.) and 1c (supp.).

    "A Curious Impounding Case" is in the Chronicle,
    7 March 1885, page 4f.

    A sketch of the police station is in the Pictorial Australian in
    February 1884, page 25;
    a photograph of the school's Empire Day celebrations is in the Observer,
    16 June 1906, page 30,
    of a flood on
    22 June 1907, page 31,
    of itinerant shearers on bicycles is in the Chronicle,
    29 May 1909, page 32,
    of a "blackfellow's wurley" on
    14 January 1911, page 32,
    of the aftermath of a cyclone on
    19 November 1921, page 30,
    of an aeroplane on the racecourse on
    18 February 1928, page 41.

    A heat wave is described in the Register,
    14 January 1898, page 5c.
    Also see South Australia - - Miscellany - Weather, Astronomy and Allied Matters

    "Interesting Notes" is in the Register, 16 February 1898, page 6e:

      At last the rain has come to Farina; nearly an inch and a half in three days... Our sable friends take the credit for having brought the change. For more than a fortnight they have been holding corroborees, morning, noon and night, to bring the rain and are, of course, now certain they have succeeded. One old man was asked yesterday when they were going to bring another rain but replied, 'Blackfellow too weak, not enough ration'...

    A sports day is reported in the Register,
    8 May 1907, page 7e.

    "Hardships in Plenty" is in The Mail,
    21 January 1928, page 16c,
    "Centre of Sand and Sheep" on
    20 April 1935, page 2.

    "Relentless Creep of [Sand] Hill Burying Farina" is in the Advertiser,
    9 June 1936, page 16f.

    Farina - Obituaries

    An obituary of Jennie Dixon, hotelier, is in the Observer,
    22 August 1908, page 40b,
    of Stephen Kite on 9 January 1915, page 41a,
    of Rev F. Huey on 9 June 1917, page 33a,
    of Mrs Matilda Kite on 1 September 1928, page 49b.

    An obituary of J.G. Wills, hotelier, is in the Register,
    5 April 1909, page 3f.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Farrell Flat

    22 February 1845, page 4.

    An address to the Rev James Farrell is reproduced in the Observer,
    15 January 1848, page 1e.
    "The First Dean of Adelaide" is in the Observer,
    28 May 1921, page 21b.

    An editorial entitled "The Late Dean Farrell" is in the Register,
    8 June 1869, page 2d; also see
    14 June 1869, page 2g.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Express, 17 June 1871, page 3d:

      The Farrell Flat and Mintaro Races took place on 14 June 1871 on Mr. James Torr's land, distant about seven miles from Mintaro and were conducted by Messrs J.H. Bleechmore, James Torr, Joseph Freeman, Peter Smith, R. Hill and G. Faulkner...

    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing

    A report of the drowning of a boundary rider in Farrell Creek is in the Observer,
    27 July 1878, page 7c.

    Results of an athletics meeting are in the Register,
    10 January 1872, page 5f,
    27 March 1897, page 26d.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics

    A letter from Michael McCabe to his parents in the United Kingdom is reproduced in the Express, 16 November 1875, page 3a:

      'Cavandale, Farrell Flat, May 1875' - We are now engaged in sowing the wheat... I am ploughing every day; there are four of us and each man drives four horses and a double-furrow plough - he is supposed to plough three acres per day... There are ten of us working on the farm, all Irishmen and all young fellows and we are as united as brothers and, between singing songs and telling stories about the dear old land, we don't find the time passing; in fact, I used to think a week at home as long as I do a month here. Wages are very good... I have earned more money since I came here than I ever call my own at home...

    A sports day is reported in the Observer,
    10 January 1880, page 70e.

    Information on the institute is in the Express,
    2 February 1881, page 2c.
    Information on a new Institute is in the Register,
    21 October 1911, page 5g,
    16 April 1912, page 3e.
    20 April 1912, page 17b.

    Information on the town's water supply is in the Register,
    4 October 1882 (supp.), page 3g and
    a tractor trial on
    28 September 1923, page 14e,
    4 October 1923, page 3d.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    The town is described in the Advertiser,
    30 September 1886, page 7b,
    2 October 1886, page 35b.

    Photographs of "on the road to Farrell Flat' are in the Observer,
    8 October 1910, page 32,
    the Catholic Church and its committee in the Chronicle,
    20 July 1912, page 32,
    of a football team on
    24 October 1935, page 36.

    The opening of a Catholic church is reported in the Register,
    4 July 1912, page 5g.

    An obituary of Richard Williams is in the Observer,
    20 January 1917, page 20a,
    of David Ashby on 26 October 1918, page 19b,
    of Samuel Green on 12 December 1925, page 58b.

    Information on and a photograph of a Case tractor operating on Mr Thompson's farm are in the Observer,
    19 November 1921, page 24.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements

    A horse show is reported in the Advertiser,
    4 November 1922, page 19c; also see
    3 November 1927, page 9f.

    A tractor trial is reported in the Register,
    28 September 1923, page 14e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements.

    A photograph of wheat at the railway station is in the Observer,
    25 February 1928, page 38.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Federal Town

    21 November 1901, page 4d,
    22 March 1902, page 32c,
    20 March 1902, page 4f,
    5 May 1902, page 9d,
    5 and 19 August 1902, pages 6d and 3d,
    4 December 1902, page 3d:

      During the last few days two gentlemen representing a large syndicate from Adelaide and Melbourne have been examining Lake Newland, and after testing its value for salt they pegged several large blocks for salt claims and works. The roads from the salt sites to either Venus or Elliston Bays are good and the shipping facilities at Venus Bay should be all that are required to ship thousands of tons of salt to any part of the Commonwealth. The salt contains 99.50% pure sodium.

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names


    Hartley in 1837 and was the first non-conformist minister to take up pastoral duties. He bought land east of Adelaide and is believed to have named it by combining the Latin felix - 'happy', with the Anglo-Saxon stow - 'place'. On a document dealing with the land in 1851 there is the signature 'Thomas Quinton Stow, Felixstow, May 19th 1851' and a memorial of a conveyance of portion of section 306 to Rev. T.Q. Stow in July 1851 refers to 'Rev. Thomas Quinton Stow of Felixstow.'

    Register on
    11 March 1853, pages 2e-3a and
    an editorial on his life on
    21 July 1862, page 2e; also see
    16 August 1862, pages 5c and 4b (supp.),
    8 February 1865, page 3c,
    28 August 1866, page 2c,
    15 June 1904, page 7b.
    "The Founder of Congregationalism" is in the Register,
    19 July 1912, page 6f.

    "A Stalwart Ecclesiastical Pioneer" by Rev John Blacket is in the Advertiser,
    19 July 1928, page 15a.
    Biographical details of J.P. Stow are in the Register,
    12 December 1884, page 5b.
    Reminiscences by his son, Jefferson P. Stow, are in the Register,
    14 August 1899, page 5a,
    6 July 1904, page 6e; also see
    13 April 1895, page 12f and
    9 May 1908, page 43a (obit.).
    Augustines Stow's obituary is in the Register,
    30 May 1903, page 7a,
    6 June 1903, page 35a.

    A local vineyard is described in the Advertiser, 12 November 1861, page 2g:

      The domain of the Stow's - a name that has already become a household word in South Australia - is situated to the left of the road from Adelaide, on the banks of the Torrens, about half a mile beyond the village and not far from the German hamlet of Klemzig. The vineyard upon the estate is the property of Augustine Stow... The first planting was done in 1852 when 4½ acres were put in... He also has an orangery... In 1854, about 200 trees were planted at 15 feet apart, but in the dry summer, that followed, little progress was made... A creek runs through the western portion of his grounds to the Torrens. This has been diverted from its original tortuous course and straightened... Adjacent to this property is a ten acre block belonging to R.I. Stow and Wycliff Stow, on about eight acres of which vines have been planted...

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.

    Mrs Stow's funeral and obituary are reported in the Express,
    11 July 1867, page 2d,
    20 July 1867, page 4g.

    The opening of the bridge is reported in the Register,
    18 October 1873, page 6d and
    its replacement on
    14 and 15 February 1893, pages 5b and 5a; also see
    4 May 1889, page 35e,
    31 August 1889, page 23b,
    22 August 1891, page 33d
    9 January 1901, page 9h,
    20 November 1923, page 13d.
    A sketch is in the Australasian Sketcher,
    27 December 1873, page 165.

    Charles Pitt's and Augustine Stow's orangeries are described in the Register,
    19 July 1875, page 6g. Also see South Australia Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
    A fire is reported in the Express,
    8 May 1894, page 3c.

    An obituary of John Green is in the Register, 14 October 1903, page 7a,
    Observer, 17 October 1903, page 34b.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Feltus Flat

    Observer, 26 June 1920, page 31c:

      John Feltus, one of the oldest identities in the Streaky Bay district, died in June 1920. In his early days he made himself thoroughly acquainted with sheep and land and his keen and studious nature fitted him for the important task of managing the Waulgie property of 6,400 acres which he acquired about 1890, having been one of the first settlers to take up land under the Grazing and Cultivation Act... Prior to taking up this land he was engaged at Kirkala Station, then in charge of John Linklater...

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names


    14 October 1871, page 7c,
    26 October 1872, page 7b:

      Examinations at the school took place on 2 October 1871 when the prize winners were Alex. W. Moody, Frederick Lewis, Henry Jury, John McHugh, Richard Earl, S.A. Tupper, D. Tupper, Alice J. Moody, Elizabeth Forby, Alfred Hawser, John Snigg, Alice Miller, Francis McHugh, Eliza A. Jury, Frederick Wilson.

    A farewell to Miss S.A. Tupper, organist and teacher at the school and church, is reported in the Chronicle,
    17 January 1880, page 25e.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Ferguson, Mount (Port Flinders)

    18 and 23 September 1873, pages 5c and 6e and
    6 November 1873, page 5d:

      It has been rumoured for some time that the late government, after having sold most of the township of Port Pirie, contemplated removing the port to a place called Mount Ferguson... It is certainly nearer to the open gulf than the present port, but it is surrounded by banks and bars that a strong two-mile jetty would be necessary...

    Peter Ferguson's obituary is in the Register,
    12 September 1877, page 5a.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Fergusson, County of

    South Australia - Governors and Ancillary Matters.

    A sketch of his induction is in the Adelaide Illustrated Post,
    26 March 1869, page 1.

    An editorial on the Governor's life and times is in the Register,
    2 and 29 September 1868, pages 2c and 2d; also see
    29 October 1868, page 2e,
    7 December 1872, page 13b,
    Australasian Sketcher,
    9 August 1873, page 86,
    19 November 1894, page 4g.
    His obituary is in the Register on
    18 January 1907, page 5b.

    The funeral of Lady Fergusson is reported in the Register,
    30 October 1871, page 5d;
    biographical appear on 1 November 1921, page 4g.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill
    Place Names

    Fern Hill

    Register, 27 April 1893, page 6b:

      The situation of Fern Hill is denoted by a signboard. Most of Adelaide's visitors know its locality, but few of them have been over the two gardens there, namely, of Mr. Ernest Grimes and Mr. William McGregor.

    Fairfield - Fern Hill