Place Names of South Australia - C
Chaunceys Line - Claraville
- Chaunceys Line
- Cherry Gardens
- Chesson, Hundred of
- Chewings Nob
- Chingford (Chinkford)
- Chiton Rocks
- Christies Beach
The road as surveyed for the Government by W.C. Chauncey is defined in a Central Board of Main Roads plan of 1854. It commenced at Hahndorf and proceeded in a more or less direct route to Wellington and was planned for anticipated trade between the River Murray and Adelaide. The official designation of the proposed road was 'The South Eastern Road, Hahndorf to the Wellington Ferry' but it is frequently referred to in records as 'Chauncey's Line'. He came to South Australia in 1840 in the Appoline and surveyed the Adelaide-Port Adelaide railway in 1848.
20 May 1851, page 3d for his report on the survey and
Parliamentary Paper 101/60 for a map of same.
Public meetings to discuss a possible diversion of the line "to the Tinpot and Langhorne", etc, are reported in the Observer,
19 July 1856, page 4f:
A public meeting was held in the Bugle Inn, Bugle Ranges in July 1856 for the purpose of adopting a memorial to the Central Road Board requesting the opening and clearing of Chauncey's main line of road between the Morning Star and Mount Barker...
Also see Observer,
6 September 1862, page 1h (supp.),
19 July 1860, page 3g; also see
17 July 1862, page 2e,
7 October 1864, page 3f,
28 May 1869, page 3a,
24 March 1870, page 5d,
21 October 1864, page 2d,
29 March 1867, page 3e,
2 April 1870, page 3e.
The opening of Chauncey's Bridge in the Onaunga district is reported in the Register,
7 May 1866, page 3c.
The Observer of 11 December 1875, page 10g reproduced a letter from William Chace:
... When Chauncey struck his line of road [see "Chauncey's Line" in nomenclature text]...[did he follow] the line of road struck by me through the scrub from Edward's to Mount Barker in 1839 - afterwards followed by Mr Charles Ewin and his cattle, sheep, dray and horses.
The town (now an Adelaide suburb) was offered for sale on 12 November 1849, but for many years it remained very small, with only twenty wood or pise houses. Richard Day (1818-1900), who was born in Gloucestershire and married there on 11 September 1837, laid it out on section 419; he extolled it as having:
- An extensive frontage to the second Port Road opposite the Yatala Smelting Works, while a third government road connects the two and terminates exactly opposite a public thoroughfare leading to the North Arm. This property is unrivalled in its commercial position and is also distinguished for good land and water. Lunch at twelve precisely.
The school opened in 1866.
"Cemetery for Port Adelaide" is in the Register,
3 October 1874, page 6d,
3 October 1874, page 6c,
"A Cemetery Scandal" is in the Register,
23 November 1917, page 6d.
"Badly-Kept Cemetery" in The Mail,
25 October 1919, page 2g.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Burying the Dead.
An obituary of S. Fancett (Fawcett?) curator of the cemetery from 1876, is in the Observer,
3 June 1911, page 41a,
of F.W. Ward, curator, on 7 July 1928, page 49c.
Information on the burial of a Japanese naval cadet in 1887 is in the Register,
7 February 1913, page 6g:
The Japanese have a profound respect for their dead. An instance of this reverence is given in a letter received from Admiral S. Tochinai, who was a lieutenant on a Japanese man-o'-war when it visited
the colony in 1887: 'I venture to approach you to ask your kindness and sympathy in taking the trouble to place a wreath before the grave of Cadet Y. Kawakami who lies in the cemetery at Port Adelaide. He was my class and ship mate in HMJMS Rinjo which called at Adelaide in May 1887. He died in the Indian Ocean and his body was taken to Port Adelaide and there buried. Subsequently his grave was visited by a number of our squadron in 1903 and since I suppose there have been no Japanese visitors...' The Admiral's request was complied with by Mr. Searcy who, in the days when the admiral was a lieutenant, first became acquainted with him.
A "Japanese Funeral" is reported in the Advertiser,
13 March 1929, page 10c.
"The Train Service at Cheltenham" is in the Register,
14 October 1892, page 5c.
"Trains for Cheltenham" is in the Register,
1 September 1909, page 6e and
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Railways.
"[William Crooks'] Homestead Settlement on the Plains" is in the Register,
17 October 1893, page 7f,
21 October 1893, page 5a.
Information on a military encampment is in the Express,
20 April 1897, page 4e.
A photograph is in The Critic,
21 May 1913, page 15.
Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.
Photographs of a race meeting are in the Chronicle,
21 June 1902, page 41,
of a soccer team in the Express,
5 July 1923, page 8.
The unveiling of a monument at the cemetery, over the graves of firemen who lost their lives in the City of Singapore disaster at Port Adelaide, is reported in the Register,
21 March 1927, page 10h.
Photographs of the funeral of Fireman Grenman are in The Critic,
7 May 1924, page 11.
Also see Adelaide - Fires and the Fire Brigade.
A fatal accident to a jockey, S. Willis, is reported in the Observer,
31 October 1903, page 25a.
Information on the racecourse is in the Observer,
23 November 1912, page 22d,
20 December 1913, page 22c,
16 December 1913, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The successful boring for artesian water is reported in the Advertiser,
26 February 1904, page 7c,
27 February 1904, page 9c.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
12 March 1904, page 44.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs H. Mackereth is reported in the Observer,
19 November 1904, page 24e.
An obituary of Henry Mackereth is in the Register, 8 March 1909, page 5b,
of Mrs Martha H. Boon on 2 July 1918, page 4h.
"Maimed by Aeroplane - Boy's Hand Cut Off" is in the Register,
25 July 1910, page 5a.
An aeroplane accident is reported in the Register,
6 October 1911, page 7c.
Photographs of an aeroplane "experiment" are in the Chronicle,
30 July 1910, page 31; also see
18 November 1911, page 32.
"In the Air - Two Flights at Cheltenham" is in the Register,
24, 29 and 30 December 1913, pages 6h, 4g and 6g; also see
30 December 1913, page 6d,
1, 3, 9, 17, 26 and 28 January 1914, pages 5c, 13a, 7b, 3g, 5h and 8a,
27 June 1914, page 30 (photos).
Also see South Australia - Transport - Aeroplanes.
A photograph of a football team is in the Observer,
31 May 1913, page 32,
of a horse race meeting on
27 December 1913, page 29,
of motor cycle races on
3 May 1924, page 33.
A camp for returned soldiers is reported in the Register,
20 April 1916, page 4e.
Information on the Congregational Church is in The News,
27 October 1926, page 8c.
Biographical details of Benjamin Green are in the Register,
23 December 1926, page 11d.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Joseph M. Watson is reported in the Register,
6 June 1927, page 7h,
of Mr & Mrs R.H. Goerecke on 5 January 1929, page 8g.
Cheltenham - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs Sarah E.M.Burns Hutchesson, "a link with Robert Burns", is in the Observer,
30 October 1909, page 40a,
of Mrs Martha H. Boon on 6 July 1918, page 20c,
of Mrs Susannah Williams on 7 September 1918, page 8g.
An obituary of William F. Boon is in the Register,
26 November 1914, page 4h.
The name given to a police station near Venus Bay which was also the site of an Aboriginal ration station in the 1850s. The 'Cherirroo Run' was established by R. Love in 1871 (lease no. 728). The 'R' is probably a misprint in official documents; it was, no doubt, John Love (1827-1905) who married Jessie A. Tennant in 1863.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
A letter re the distribution of blankets to Aborigines is in the Register, 30 June 1862, page 3b:
There is not a single article of winter clothing nor any blankets for distribution to the natives at the Police Station, Cheriroo... The sick, the aged and the helpless are in a deplorable state... During the past week I have seen blacks in the last stage of disease, groaning in agony, crouching under a few boughs round the ashes of a half-extinguished fire, with not a rag of covering save and except a worn out flour bag and part of an old sheep skin. It is a shame and an eternal disgrace to the rulers of a Christian land and that such things should be...
The district 10 km south-west of Stirling was known by the Aborigines as pinjatjawinga - 'sweet water place'. The Adelaide (Kaurna) tribe made excursions into the hills to gather wattle gum and soak the flowers of grass trees and honeysuckle for their sugar content. The English name was given by Isaac Jacobs, Henry Field and Edward Burgess circa 1839, when they went into the hills to cut kangaroo grass for stock fodder and came across an abundance of native trees, with small cherry-like fruit. The first subdivision to take the name was laid out on part section 1505, Hundred of Noarlunga by E.F. and I.R. Leedham in 1963.
The consecration of the newly erected Wesleyan Church is reported in the Register, 28 March 1849, page 2e:
The congregation of the newly erected Wesleyan Chapel assembled in public worship in March 1849. About 120 sat down to tea in celebration... The chapel which is a perfect model of neatness is capable of accommodating about 150 persons and the worthy and indefatigable superintendent has the satisfaction of knowing that not one penny of debt encumbers the building.
Its school opened in 1859 and closed in 1970; see Chronicle,
15 May 1886, page 9e.
An Arbor Day is reported on
3 September 1898, page 27b,
31 July 1909, page 18c.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
An obituary of John Whyte is in the Register, 4 July 1871, page 5a;
also see 5 August 1887, page 5f.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register, 4 September 1888, page 6g.
Silver ore yielding up to 28 ozs. of silver per ton on section 1059 was reported in 1889 -
see Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 167.
Also see South Australia - Mining.
A local Show is reported in the Register,
18 March 1899, page 7e,
25 March 1899, page 19e,
17 March 1900, page 10h,
30 March 1901, page 35a,
21 March 1902, page 3h.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows.
An industrial exhibition is reported in the Observer,
24 March 1900, page 6c,
30 March 1901, page 4b,
21 March 1902, page 3c.
"Earnest Tree Planters" is in the Register,
28 July 1909, page 3d.
"A Rechabite Jubilee" is in the Register,
22 March 1911, page 9b.
A fancy dress skating carnival is reported upon in the Register,
17 October 1911, page 8h.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Roller and Ice Skating.
Fox hunting is described in the Observer,
25 July 1914, page 33c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Fox Hunting.
The unveiling of a war memorial is reported in the Observer,
3 October 1925, page 62e.
A photograph of the unveiling of a memorial cross is in the Chronicle,
16 May 1935, page 32.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
Cherry Gardens - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs Luke Broadbent is in the Register, 18 April 1892, page 5c,
of Isaac Jacobs in the Observer, 24 February 1894, page 30a,
of George Mildwaters, "one of the first settlers of Scott's Bottom", on 28 April 1900, page 29d,
of Henry Jacobs on 29 April 1905, page 26d,
of Mrs Eliza Mildwaters on 7 September 1907, page 40d,
of Rev A.S. Broadbent on 30 May 1914, page 41a.
An obituary of John Broadbent is in the Register, 30 May 1901, page 5a,
of Rev A.S. Broadbent on 23 May 1914, page 10a,
of John A. Lewis on 27 October 1924, page 6g,
of Charles Ricks on 13 August 1926, page 13g,
of Mrs Broadbent on 1 September 1926, page 13c.
An obituary of James Mildwaters is in the Register, 26 June 1918, page 6h,
of B.F. Lloyd on 20 October 1921, page 9b.
The district about 33 km east of Cherry Gardens between Montacute and Basket Range renowned as the best cherry growing area in South Australia. The first settlers there would appear to have been William Merchant and Samuel Bungey who traversed the area in 1849 and subsequently settled there, where they planted extensive orchards.
Its school opened as "Marble Hill" in 1895; name changed in 1921 and closed in 1971.
Information on pioneer fruitgrowers, Messrs William Merchant and Samuel Bungey, is in the Chronicle,
23 April 1898, page 42b,
8 April 1899:
It is over 45 years since two young men, Samuel Bungey and William Merchant took up leases in order to commence operations as wood sawyers.... For years they worked, cutting down the huge trees and sawing them into planks from which most of the early houses in Adelaide were built and roofed... Roads were a luxury undreamed of and many of the hills were so steep as to be almost perpendicular. Up these hills teams of bullocks were led drawing the sledges laden with the huge planks... This, at last, led to their buying a great section of land and building substantial wooden houses. They married and came to live in what was at that time a huge forest of trees, but what has since been transferred into one of the most important centres of fruit in the colony...
After a long, successful partnership they divided their land, each making a garden for himself, and near to these two splendid horticulturists other settlers have pitched their camps, so that now the hills traversed so often by their weary feet are clothed in all directions with smiling orchards, the homes of happy and industrious farmers...
3 and 10 June 1937, pages 47a and 48a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
Mr Bungey's property "Fernhurst" is described in the Chronicle,
14 May 1898, page 41d and
Mr Merchant's reminiscences appear on
20 September 1902, page 36.
Mr Bungey's obituary is in the Register,
14 November 1914, page 8i,
21 November 1914, page 42a,
Mrs Louis Bungey's on
16 October 1915, page 46b.
"Telephone for Cherryville" is in the Register,
29 February 1904, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Telephones.
"Serious Landslip" is in the Register,
24 August 1909, page 7c,
28 August 1909, page 17b.
A school children's visit to Marble Hill is reported in the Register,
15 March 1911, page 6h.
"A Visit to Cherryville" is in the Observer,
25 November 1911, page 13c.
The district is described in the Advertiser,
7 May 1898, page 10g and
a bushfire on
22 January 1912, page 9c.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Baptist Church is in the Observer,
8 April 1899, page 31a.
An obituary of George Holliday is in the Register,
26 May 1923, page 8g.
Chesson, Hundred of
H. Chesson, MP (1905-1918). Born in Adelaide in 1862, at age twelve he began work in a boot factory later turning his hands to masonry and bricklaying. From the mid-1880s he was an active trade unionist and a keen student of Labor questions of the day.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Chesson are in the Weekly Herald,
2 April 1898, page 1,
1 June 1905,
5 November 1906, page 6d.
West of Yunta. John Chewings, who held pastoral leases on the 'Eastern Plains' from 1858 including lease no. 581 named 'Pettawuppa'.
His property near Mount Bryan was named "Woorkoongoree" - see Register,
30 July 1861, page 3a.
An obituary of Sarah Chewings is in the Observer, 24 December 1892, page 30c:
Mrs Sarah Chewings died in 1892, aged 71 years. She arrived in the colony in the 1840s and soon after she landed married John Chewings, who was well-known as the owner for years of the Mintaro Estate which he took over from the copper company and improved considerably...
This name, imported from the United States of America, was first applied to a suburb when William Shierlaw (c.1839-1920), draper of Adelaide, subdivided part section 364 and section 365, Hundred of Yatala in 1893. An extension was made on sections 364-65 by Jane B. Matters, Charles H. Matters, Joseph L. Shierlaw and Samuel B. Shierlaw in 1911. Its school opened in 1914 and became 'Kilburn' in 1931.
The Chicago Post Office opened on 1 August 1911 and five days later the Deputy Postmaster-General said: 'There is no likelihood of it causing confusion with respect to correspondence intended for Chicago, USA.' Alas, time was to prove him wrong for on 1 September 1930 it ceased to exist following complaints about mail going astray, while at the same time the suburb became 'Kilburn'.
Its school opened in 1914 and became "Kilburn" in 1931.
Information on the Chicago Mission is in the Register,
1 and 13 July 1915, pages 7b and 7c:
All its homes and its people could almost be packed into the corner of a Chicago, USA, warehouse. At any rate that would be the standard of comparison in which an indignant Yankee would place the handful of acres in the region of the Islington workshops. It was here that I met the modern Paul, a humble follower of the Apostle... This was Mr. G.H. Piening and he is the founder of the Chicago Mission. A few years ago this man was a bag merchant at Brompton and, assured of only a modest income, he has given himself, body and soul, in what he feels is God's business...
28 and 29 March 1922, pages 9c and 10e,
27 April 1922, page 10g,
12 May 1922, page 12f.
A proposed recreation ground is discussed in the Register,
5 June 1926, page 9d,
30 October 1926, page 9a.
Photographs of a Progress Association Carnival are in the Chronicle,
10 April 1930, page 38.
Near Streaky Bay. The 'Chilpenunda Run' was established by Messrs Coulls and Mills (lease no. 1543) circa 1864.
The school stood on section 4, Hundred of Tarlton. "[It] consisted of one main room 20 feet by 20 feet, a porch, shelter shed... See Agnes Dickson, Cungena Country, page 108.
The name comes from Essex, England and in ancient times it was written as caegingaford - 'the ford of the dweller by the stumps'; excavations were made near the mouth of the River Ching in the latter 19th century which revealed the remains of stump-dwellings. Other sources say it derives from cingeford - 'shingle ford', a ford across the River Lea where the soil is gravelly.
Information on Immanuel Church "At Chinkford, Head of the Gilbert" is in the Register,
30 September 1863, page 2e and
2 November 1863, page 3h,
while a church "feast" for children in "Mr Jabez Frost's barn" is reported on
28 November 1864, page 3c.
The opening of the Primitive Methodist Chapel is reported in the Chronicle,
10 November 1866, page 2g.
The opening of the school is reported in the Chronicle,
1 May 1869, page 7a.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Roman Catholic Chapel is reported in the Register,
1 October 1869, page 2g.
The notice of death of Mr G.W. Byerlee, senior, is in the Register,
24 February 1870, page 6b.
His son, G.W. Byerlee (junior), in addition to providing land for a school, sold another piece of the same section to the Church of England on 22 October 1868 - see certificate of title volume 121, folio 118.
See Place Names - Burton for a comment on the inter-mixing of the name with "Manoora" and "Burton".
A railway station 24 km north-east of Ceduna. An Aboriginal word referring to water.
The reminiscences of James Hiern are in the Advertiser,
3 February 1914, page 10d.
The Chinta School opened as "Maltee" in 1917 its name being changed in 1918; it closed in 1937.
Three kilometres west of Port Elliot, is the name of a shellfish found in waters near Granite Island and the Bluff. Its Aboriginal name was jingeinju - 'pubic hair' - in Ramindjeri legend the two wives of the ancestral being Ngurunderi, when fleeing from the River Murray to the Pages Islands, sat there and plucked out their hair; hence the rich growth of seaweeds now found there.
"Chiton Rocks Now Has Lifesavers" is in The Mail, 2 January 1932, page 2g:
Chiton Rocks is perfectly safe - if you stay within the dotted line. Helter-skelter, in come the waves, each with a freight of little brown men and scarlet-clad shouting girls. The brief bit of beach facing the safety zone is covered, not to say smothered, with bathers, beach hats, beach pyjamas, sunbathers and
bottles of 'sunburn cure'. Half society seems to be anointing the other half with noisome oil that sends the surfers into the sea glistening like seals... Viceroyalty may be discerned sitting in the shade of an overhanging sand hill, and all round are dotted most of he younger set, smart young matrons and their husbands...
"Cold Surfing at Chiton" is in the Advertiser,
27 and 31 December 1934, pages 8a and 10a.
The story of Ngurenderi and his wives is told in the Advertiser,
16 May 1936, page 25b.
Photographs, etc., are in the Advertiser,
1 January 1937, pages 13 and 16.
Mr N.B. Tindale, anthropologist, was quoted in the Stock Journal of 8 September 1965 as saying:
- The word Tjowila was the manner in which an early explorer described the spot near the present Chowilla homestead. The Aboriginal word meant a "place of spirits or ghosts'' and inferred that the spot was a burial place.
A request for the establishment of a telegraph station is in the Observer,
5 August 1871, page 7f.
The introduction of cats to combat the rabbit plague is reported in the Register, 16 October 1883, page 5b:
For some time past a short advertisement has appeared in the daily press signed by Messrs Robertson Brothers offering the sum of nine pence each for 1,000 cats... The animals will be safely cooped up and sent to the Chowilla Run for the purposes of rabbit destruction. A special word of warning is due to those who have rare tortoise-shells or pet cats that they should not let their favourites stray in the highways or byways for fear of the far-reaching arm of some energetic lad who is anxious to realise a little pocket money.
Historical information on the Chowilla Run is in the Advertiser,
13 and 17 August 1921, pages 13h and 12d.
Lambert F.B. Christie, born at Cape Jervis on 12 May 1858, purchased 600 acres of land in the beach area in the 1890s. In 1923 his wife, Rosa Christie, who was the owner of part section 658, Hundred of Noarlunga laid out the first subdivision to be known as 'Christies Beach'.
A letter signed "M.A. Christie, KI Mail Contractor" is in the Register,
15 September 1883 (supp.), page 2f.
"A Growing Seaside Resort" is in the Register, 3 February 1927, page 5c:
On the holiday motor cars and charabancs conveyed a number of pleasure seekers to that part of the coast known as Christies Beach North... The smooth running of the billiard-like surface of the bituminous South Road is the perfection of easy and agreeable locomotion. An interval of old macadam succeeds, followed by another stretch of bitumen. It is proposed to extend this surface to Port Victor... The beach is rather rocky, somewhat like Marino and this is not without compensating advantages. Many little pools of deep, cool, limpid water sheltered by overhanging rock, temptingly invite to a swim in the refreshing depths... These pools, too, are the haunts of the crab; line fishing also meets with ample reward...
An obituary of H.W. Christie is in the Register,
4 and 7 March 1927, pages 8g and 10a.
A photograph of gathering shellfish and crayfish is in the Observer,
24 December 1927, page 38.
The school opened in 1961.
ClanfieldThe school opened in 1912 and closed in 1923 no doubt taking its name from the adjacent "Clanfield Hill".
A hills railway station probably takes its name from Clapham Junction, a London suburban station.
When the suburban rail service was introduced in 1898 the terminus was at Mitcham, being extended in 1908 to Clapham. A branch line was built from Mitcham parallel to the South line to a point just north of the present Clapham station, then swinging west to follow the line of the present Price Avenue, terminating at Springbank Road. The suburban trains were nicknamed "Clapham Dodgers" or "Dodgers" because they dodged in between the longer distance trains on the South line.
After the suburban service was extended to Sleeps Hill the branch line was abandoned although the tracks remained in situ to just north of Torrens Park station and the concrete face of the platform remained in Price Avenue for many years; see Register,
23 November 1911, page 8c for a report of a collision with a "Dodger".
Also seeThe Critic,
17 May 1911, page 18.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Railways.
A railway 'bolt' and a collision with a 'Clapham Dodger' is recounted in the Register,
23 November 1911, page 8 - 'Driver Carter saved our lives and his thoughtfulness in backing our train had minimised the force of the impact...'
The school opened in 1961.
A subdivision of part section 352, Hundred of Yatala by George Bailey, agent of Saint Johns Wood in 1879; now included in Prospect bisected by Percy Street.
The name was also given to a subdivision of part section 10, Hundred of Blanche by Dr Johann D.E. Wehl (c.1823-1876) in 1861. It is thought he wished to honour his wife Clara Christina M. Wehl and, if this is so, the surveyor erred, because deposited plan no. 66 clearly shows the name 'Clareville'; now included in Mount Gambier.
The Claraville school in the Mount Gambier subdivision of Clareville (sic) is shown in Parliamentary Paper 26/1875 as being conducted by William N. Ingham; it opened circa 1864 and closed in 1878; see Register, 4 November 1864, page 3e.
Dr Wehl's obituary is in the Observer, 19 February 1876, page 7c;
also see Observer, 19 January 1924, page 16a.