State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - B

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek

    Brown, Mount


    In the Hundred of Woolundunga. Named by Matthew Flinders on 9 March 1802 after the Investigator's botanist, Robert Brown.

    General Notes

    The station is described in the Chronicle,
    29 June 1878, page 5a.

    Its school opened in 1903 and closed in 1954.

    "Picturesque Mount Brown" is in The Mail, 23 May 1931, page 12f:

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Brownhill Creek


    Near Mitcham; a descriptive name applied by Col. William Light. The Aborigines knew it as willawilla (or wirrabilla) which refers to 'waterholes'. The immediate area was used as a sheep run by the South Australian Company in the early days of settlement.

    General Notes

    A baptism is reported in the Register,
    17 January 1856, page 2g,
    19 January 1856, page 3c:

    Also see South Australia - Religion - Miscellany - Miscellaneous.

    The opening service of the Brownhill Creek Junction Chapel is reported in the Register,
    26 November 1874.

    A trial of explosives is reported in the Advertiser,
    17 December 1881, page 2a (supp.).

    George Prince's orangery is described in the Register,
    26 July 1875, page 6b.
    The district and orchards are described in the Register,
    11 and 25 May 1893, pages 6e and 7a.
    "Brownhill Creek Vegetables" is in the Observer,
    19 September 1914, page 14b.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    A proposed reservoir is discussed in the Register,
    24 August 1875, page 6e,
    28 August 1875, page 10d:

    A proposed dam is discussed in the Express,
    14 January 1888, page 2e.
    The overflow of the creek is discussed in the Register,
    5 February 1884, page 2g (supp.),
    18 April 1889, page 5g,
    10 March 1897, page 2c,
    pollution on
    9 and 16 February 1898, pages 2e and 4b.

    Proposed swimming baths are discussed in the Register,
    31 January 1894, page 5b.

    "A Creek Fatality" is in the Observer,
    17 June 1905, page 34d.

    "Pioneers and Picnics" is in the Advertiser,
    28 November 1931, page 9c.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names



    A town on Kangaroo Island in the Hundred of Menzies 3 km south-west of Kingscote, named by Governor Jervois and proclaimed on 1 June 1882.

    Field Marshal Sir Charles Henry Brownlow. Governor Jervois' daughter married Rev. W.A. Purey-Cust, whose cousin was Earl Brownlow.

    General Notes

    The town on Kangaroo Island is described in the Chronicle,
    12 May 1883, page 16e,
    1 March 1884, page 6g:

    The school opened in 1910 and closed in 1946;
    Brownlow Centre School operated from 1923 until 1935.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Browns Lake

    At Mount Gambier. The Register of 20 March 1873, page 2c says:

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Browns Well


    South of Meribah in the Hundred of McGorrery. In January 1876 a pastoral lease was issued to James Angus Johnson, John O. Carlisle and John Whyte which was part of a bigger property called 'Thurk'. The well was sunk in 1882 under the supervision of Mr J. Brown, an employee of Bookpurnong Station.

    General Notes

    Photographs of railway survey camps are in the Chronicle,
    19 February 1910, page 32; also see
    2 March 1912, page 29,
    2 March 1912, page 30.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.

    A Show is reported in the Advertiser, 17 October 1928, page 21:

    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows.

    The Area School opened in 1966.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names



    A town 23 km south-east of Quorn in the Hundred of Willochra, proclaimed on 19 May 1881 and named by Governor Jervois who, almost without exception, chose the names of family and friends when exercising his nomenclatoral authority. The Hon. Robert Bruce was at one time a colonel in the Grenadier Guards and served as military secretary to the Governor-General of Canada. His sister, Lady Augusta Stanley, was an intimate friend of Queen Victoria.

    General Notes

    A sale of allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
    18 June 1881, page 12d,
    24 September 1881, page 8b.
    The town is described in the Register,
    13 August 1881, page 5d,
    10 June 1882, page 22c.

    The Bruce School opened in 1882 and closed in 1962.

    A sports meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
    8 January 1887, page 15d.

    Volunteer defence movements in the town and district are discussed in the Register,
    21, 25, 27 and 28 September 1888, pages 6d, 5b-d-7a, 4e and 7f.
    Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
    26 March 1892, page 14g,
    25 March 1899, page 29c ( see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing) and
    a coursing meeting on
    30 June 1894, page 21g
    1 and 15 June 1895, pages 21b and 19d.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.

    A drought is discussed in the Observer, 31 October 1896, page 29a:

    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Droughts.

    A photograph of an artesian bore on Mr Ratke's property is in the Chronicle,
    10 May 1913, page 31.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    The laying of the foundation stone of a Memorial Hall is reported in the Advertiser,
    9 September 1922, page 15g.
    Also see South Australia World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    Bruce - Obituaries

    An obituary of T.O. Patrick, station-master, is in the Observer,
    26 June 1909, page 40a,
    of Edward Ellery on 12 June 1926, page 39b,
    of William Rodgers on 26 March 1927, page 35d.

    An obituary of Miss Mary Irvine is in the Register,
    6 November 1924, page 8g.

    An obituary of Mrs Teresa Townsend is in the Register,
    29 March 1927, page 10g.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Bruce Well


    Near Lake Torrens. Robert Bruce, who took up the Wallerberdina run in May 1860. Born in 1835, he arrived in the Gypsy in 1853 and died at North Adelaide on 4 November 1908. Another well of the same name lies north-west of Port Augusta; Robert Bruce and partners took up the 'Coondambo Run' north of Lake Gairdner in 1876 (lease no. 2613).

    General Notes

    A poem by Robert Bruce commemorating John McDouall Stuart is in the Observer of 22 May 1897 and it is:

    An eloquent testimony to he memory of John McDouall Stuart as an explorer, that, martinet that he was, his men all speak of his bushcraft in the warmest terms of praise and say he was a born leader. I have never heard one of them refer to him except in the most loyal terms and the man, whatever his failings might have been in town, must have had the attributes of a leader of men to so impress his followers, nearly all of them smart, determined, superior characters - the first stanza of the poem reads:

    His reminiscences are in the Observer on
    14 June 1902, page 36;
    19 November 1903, page 5d;
    an obituary is in the Register,
    6 November 1908, page 5a.

    "Robert Bruce of Coondambo" is in the Register,
    15 September 1917, page 5e.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Bruce, Mount

    This school in the South-East opened in 1954 and closed in 1962.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names



    A post office on section 58, Hundred of Tickera 5 km west of Alford. Henry Bruce, an early settler, who arrived in the Lord Raglan in 1854. His wife, Letitia C. Bruce, was the local postmistress from 1884 until 1919.

    General Notes

    The death of Henry Bruce is reported in the Chronicle,
    21 September 1895, page 13d.
    An obituary of Mrs L.C. Bruce is in the Observer,
    28 June 1924, page 29c:

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Brunskill Town


    A village laid out by George Brunskill on section 1672, Hundred of Nuriootpa in 1857; now included in Greenock. See GRO Deposit 284/1858. In 1860 and 1861 Isabella and Catherine Brunskill were teachers at Greenock School.

    General Notes

    An obituary of Mrs George Brunskill is in the Register,
    5 April 1900, page 5b,
    Observer, 14 April 1900, page 22d.

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek
    Place Names

    Bryan Creek


    At the bend of the River Murray near Morgan was, until 1978, known as 'Bryant Creek'. Henry Bryan, a member of Governor Gawler's exploration party, who was lost in the bush on 15 December 1839.

    An early plan held in the Department of Lands (Draw 27, Plan 2), which pre-dates 1860, shows a creek rising near Mount Bryant (sic) and named Mount Bryant Creek; this feature does not appear on modern-day maps. An examination of Department of Lands docket no. 455/1953 suggests that the Department erred in 1978 when Bryant Creek near Morgan, which rises on section 139 Hundred of Eba, was renamed Bryan Creek. Information on a mine at Mount Bryant is in the Chronicle, 31 March 1866, page 2g.

    We are indebted to Mr K.J. Mack of Loxton for raising this issue and informing us of Mr August Fettke's book titled My Life, My Home, My Story, where at page 2 he says Bryant Creek (near Morgan) was named after a horse-tailer who hanged himself from a box tree before the land was cut up for closer settlement. The tree in question stood to the west of the "old golf clubhouse, where the little creek crosses under the north road some distance toward Morgan from the Burra Creek bridge."

    General Notes

    The name predates 1880 because the Register of 14 November 1879, page 5c says:

    A map reproduced in the Register on 26 May 1916, page 7 shows "Bryan's Creek". (PS. Information from the Geographical Names Board in 1992 indicates that the name of "Bryant Creek", near Morgan, has been restored to the map.)

    Brown, Mount - Bryan Creek