State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - A

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby

    Angle Pole Waterhole


    Near Oodnadatta. The overland telegraph line took a sharp turn at this place. Lord Forrest camped there on 28 September 1874 after his exploration from Geraldton, WA. Its Aboriginal name was carulinia.

    General Notes

    "A Trip to Angle Pole" is reported in the Register,
    27 December 1913, page 5c:

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby
    Place Names

    Angle Vale


    The 'angle' is formed by the junction of Heaslip, Fradd and Angle Vale roads. The town, 8 km ENE of Virginia, was laid out on part section 4140, Hundred of Munno Para by George Crisp (c.1827-?) in 1868 and gazetted as an Adelaide suburb on 14 April 1983.

    General Notes

    The settlement and district is described in the Register, 13 August 1867, page 3d:

    Its school was opened in 1868. Mr R.G. Symonds, a former assistant-surveyor to Colonel Light, taught at the school and an attendance journal for the period July 1870 to March 1872 is to be found in Personal Record Group 268 in the Mortlock Library.

    An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
    25 August 1894, page 4g.
    Also see South Australia- Education - Arbor Days.

    An athletics meeting is reported in the Register,
    12 July 1873, page 3f,
    14 February 1885, page 15c, see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
    a horse race meeting in The Irish Harp,
    13 February 1874, page 6c.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    The opening of a bridge over the River Gawler is reported in the Register,
    23 November 1876, page 6d.

    Information on the cricket club is in the Chronicle,
    5 August 1882, page 21f.
    Also see South Australia Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.

    An obituary of J.P. Kowe is in the Register,
    22 July 1890, page 7b,
    of Mrs Caroline Clark on 28 June 1922, page 6i.

    "A Methodist Jubilee" is in the Register,
    21 September 1904, pages 4f-7c,
    24 September 1904, page 6c (supp.).
    Also see South Australia - Religion - Methodist and Wesleyan.

    Biographical details of Luder Krodop are in the Register,
    28 October 1919, page 4h.

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby
    Place Names


    See Angelgrove.

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby
    Place Names



    Sixteen kilometres east of Parachilna; derived from the Aboriginal janaritjina - 'open place' or 'wide valley'. The 'Angorigina (sic) Run' was named by H.C. Swann in 1867 on country which was originally held by Septimus Boord from October 1853 (lease no. 1591). Mr H.C. Swann was born in Northumberland, England in 1834 and came to South Australia in the Norna in 1854 and died in 1908.

    General Notes

    The destruction of the pastoral Head Station is reported in the Observer,
    28 August 1875, page 7b.

    The purchase of Angora goats by Mr Swan from Mr Fowler on Yorke Peninsula is reported in the Register,
    24 August 1868, page 2g; also see
    22 February 1870, page 5d:

    Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Goats.

    "A Northern Sanatorium - A Suggested Scheme" is in the Observer,
    14 July 1917, page 31a; also see
    29 June 1918, page 19a.
    A proposal to establish a home for tubercular soldiers is in the Advertiser,
    8 May 1926, page 15e.
    25 September 1926, page 15b,
    12 and 30 October 1926, pages 8h and 9b.

    "Fighting Consumption" is in the Register,
    1 October 1926, page 8e; also see
    17 September 1926, page 14f,
    1 October 1926, page 12h,
    22 February 1927, page 12f.
    Also see South Australia - Health - Consumption.

    The commencement of the construction of the hostel is reported in the Observer,
    20 March 1926, page 19e,
    9 October 1926, page 47e,
    20 November 1926, page 43e,
    25 December 1926, page 43d,
    2 and 30 July 1927, pages 35c and 46c,
    13 August 1927, page 47e,
    22 April 1927, page 12f; also see
    19 May 1927, page 13b,
    3, 17 and 20 June 1927, pages 14c, 13g and 14a,
    The News,
    23 June 1927, page 4e,
    17, 20, 21, 23, 24 and 27 June 1927, pages 8e-10a, 9d, 12e, 9e, 11d and 8g,
    8 and 18 August 1927, pages 8f and 15f,
    10, 14, 15, 17, 18 and 26 November 1927, pages 15c, 8f, 11g, 10h, 10e and 19f,
    19 and 26 November 1927, pages 11d and 53d,
    10 December 1927, page 41d,
    7 and 10 January 1928, pages 11d-22d and 70c,
    3 March 1928, page 16d,
    26 November 1927, page 19a.

    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    25 June 1927, page 44,
    2 July 1927, page 39,
    9 May 1929, page 52,
    17 July 1930, page 35,
    20 August 1931, page 32.

    Also see Register,
    5 and 7 December 1927, pages 10a and 10f,
    28 and 31 December 1927, pages 8e-9a and 9d,
    2, 3, 10, 18 and 28 January 1928, pages 6h, 10d, 10a, 13f and 13d,
    3, 4, 6 and 7 February 1928, pages 8g, 12f, 14e and 11e,
    13 April 1928, page 16c,
    16 April 1928, page 2h,
    18 May 1928, page 8f,
    26 August 1929, page 28c,
    13 and 14 September 1929, pages 35a, 27a,
    23 June 1928, page 49e,
    7 July 1928, page 51 (photo.),
    19 June 1928, page 16c,
    19 February 1929, page 15f,
    31 August 1929, page 55b,
    5 July 1930, page 8d,
    9 December 1930, page 6c.

    Photographs are in the Observer,
    11 June 1927, page 34,
    2 and 16 July 1927, pages 34 and 32.

    "How Angorichina Was Born" is in the Advertiser,
    21 April 1932, page 8c.

    "Place of Hope" is in the Observer,
    21 September 1929, pages 50a-55d,
    "Help for Angorichina" in the Advertiser,
    17 November 1931, page 14e.

    "Furniture from Angorichina" is in the Advertiser,
    2 April 1934, page 8g,
    "The Heights of Hope" on
    15 September 1936, page 22f.

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby
    Place Names



    Section 1275 (120 acres), Hundred of Waterloo 16 km NNE of Kapunda was surveyed at the request of F.H. Dutton in 1843 (a notation to this effect is shown on the River Light Special Survey plan). The section was originally granted to G.F. Angas and others, (i.e., The South Australian Company), on 17 June 1844 and, on 23 September 1850, Frederick Hansborough Dutton (1812-1890) obtained it for the sum of 2, 120. At a later date he purchased nine adjoining sections and named the property after a village near Hull, Yorkshire, England which means 'dwelling of Anlaf'- one Anlaf was king of Northumbria, 941-952. In 1234 it was written as anlaweby where by is Old Saxon for 'a village'.

    General Notes

    The founding of the property is reported in the Chronicle,
    15 September 1941; also see
    The News,
    3 February 1933, page 6e.
    A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
    February 1875.

    A "Native Funeral" is in the Advertiser, 3 November 1866, page 2f:

    The surrounding country is described in the Register,
    5 June 1866, page 3c,
    while the woolshed, etc, is reported upon on
    21 October 1871, page 5d. See
    19 November 1884, page 6b for a comprehensive description of the property; also see
    17 February 1910, page 9d,
    24 December 1910, page 38b,
    7 and 9 February 1911, pages 6c and 8h (sale of).

    A report on compensation to be paid for land resumed for the Kapunda to North-West Bend railway is in the Register,
    23 August 1877, page 5c.

    A poem entitled "The First Rabbits - The Anlaby Legend" is in the Observer,
    2 December 1876, page 14a.
    A report on a rabbit plague at Anlaby is in the Chronicle,
    4 November 1876, page 15d,
    28 July 1879, page 7b.
    A cartoon is in The Lantern,
    6 October 1877.
    Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Rabbits.

    "A Trip to Kapunda and Anlaby" is in the Observer,
    22 November 1884.

    The school opened in 1908 and closed as "Ngalpa" in 1938.

    Shearing on the property is reported in the Register,
    5 November 1885, page 5c,
    13 November 1886, page 5d.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Sheep & Shearing .

    F.H. Dutton's obituary is in the Register,
    24 April 1890, page 5a; also see
    2 July 1890, page 5d for a disposition of his estate and
    26 November 1910, page 10e for an informative article on the property; also see
    7 January 1911, page 25b.

    An obituary of Mrs H.T. Morris is in the Register,
    17 September 1891, page 5b,
    Observer, 19 September 1891, page 30b,
    of Miss Mary Dutton on 25 July 1896, page 28b,
    of Miss Z.A. Dutton on 20 November 1909, page 38a.

    Information on the sale of Anlaby Estate is in the Register,
    4 December 1903, page 3b,
    17 March 1906, page 44e.

    Photographs of the opening of Anlaby Bridge are in the Observer,
    21 August 1909, page 30,
    of a Red Cross fete on
    6 November 1915, page 30.

    "A Visit to Anlaby" is in the Register,
    17 February 1910. page 9d.

    A 1902 photograph of the garden staff is in the Observer,
    15 September 1928, page 13.

    Angle Pole Waterhole - Anlaby