Place Names of South Australia - XYZ
Yorke Peninsula - Zion Hill
- Yorke Peninsula
- Yorke Valley
- Yosemite Park
- Young Town
- Younghusband, Hundred of
- Yudnapinna Hill
- Zion Hill
Yorke ValleyThe school opened in 1884 and closed in 1946.
The original plan shows Yorke Town and it was advertised as 'The Town of Yorke'. It takes its name from Yorke Peninsula.
The infant town is discussed in the Express,
11 October 1872, page 2d.
- On 26 September Mr Krichauff asked whether the government intended to lay out a township at or near Pentonvale, the head station of Messrs Anstey and Gile's run on Yorke's Peninsula and the Commissioner of Crown Lands replied that he had received an extensively signed memorial on the subject... We find that the Crown Lands Office is forestalled by Messrs Green & Co, who advertise for sale on the 25th of this month another township to be called "Yorke" situated on the southern portion of Section 85, about 3? miles in a straight line from the head station... The south-east corner of this township is at the junction of five roads... about this junction are the Melville Hotel, a post office, a store and blacksmith's shop, so that the nucleus of a little town exists there already.
26 June 1926, page 33,
22 September 1932, pages 37 and 46.
The town and district are described in the Register,
3 March 1874, page 6,
3 September 1875, page 3g,
12 May 1877, page 5e,
7 December 1877, page 6e,
Farmers Weekly Messenger,
8 December 1877, page 2b,
1 December 1883, page 9a,
17 July 1886, page 35c.
Also see The Critic, 25 April 1903, pages 6 and 7 (photographs),
18 November 1890, page 6h,
19 April 1904, page 7h,
27 May 1904, page 7c,
10 November 1909, page 5c,
1 December 1909, page 8h,
26 January 1910, page 8h,
15 June 1926, page 7.
Reminiscences of P.T. Kenny appear on
12 May 1914, page 9h.
A photograph of the main street is in the Chronicle,
14 January 1905, page 25 and
of an elephant parading in same on
11 September 1930, page 35.
A proposed Institute is discussed in the Chronicle,
6 June 1874, page 7f;
the laying of its foundation stone is reported in the Register,
14 May 1881 (supp.),page 1g. See
8 October 1881, page 5c for its opening.
The first ploughing match and show are reported in the Register,
23 September 1875 (supp.), page 1f; also see
18 October 1883, page 6d,
27 October 1888, page 22a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A proposed agricultural association is discussed in the Chronicle,
5 August 1876, page 17f,
Its first show is reported in the Register,
3 November 1876, page 3e.
A Show is reported in the Observer,
21 October 1882, page 11e.
An event on "new" grounds at Tooche's Lake is in the Observer,
27 October 1888, page 12e.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany- Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
A picnic is reported in the Register,
9 January 1877, page 5c,
13 January 1877, page 14e.
Information on the courthouse is in the Observer,
15 February 1879, page 14d.
Also see South Australia - Crime, Law and Punishment - Law - Local courts.
"Nuisances and Outrages at Yorketown" is in the Chronicle,
25 October 1879, page 12b.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Church of England is reported in the Register,
12 December 1882 (supp.), page 2c.
The Pink Lake Salt and Plaster of Paris Works is described in the Register,
30 October 1884, page 7g,
8 November 1884, page 2g (supp.).
"At the Salt Lakes" is in the Register,
24 January 1907, page 3e.
Photographs of salt farming are in the Observer,
3 March 1917, page 25.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.
"Trouble at Yorketown", in respect of itinerant salt-workers, is traversed in the Advertiser,
10 January 1902, page 5h,
4 January 1902, page 39d.
A Yorketown Industrial Exhibition is reported in the Advertiser,
6 January 1885, page 6d,
9 January 1886, page 7g.
Information on a cricket club is in the Express,
21 September 1886, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A local "ghost" is discussed in the Chronicle,
23 June 1888, page 23d.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Ghosts.
A petroleum "discovery" is reported in the Register,
31 January 1889, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Ghosts.
Information on a Mayor, Samuel Woods, is in the Register,
10 December 1892, page 1c (supp.).
Information on its two hotels is in the Register,
20, 21 and 27 March 1896, pages 4f, 7d and 7c.
Biographical details of a Mayor, Matthias Erichsen, are in the Observer,
13 February 1897, page 16e,
of E.H. Matthews, postmaster, on 29 November 1902, page 26d,
of M. Erichsen, Mayor, on 12 December 1903, page 25e.
Biographical details of the town clerk, E. Stonehouse, are in the Observer,
31 January 1903, page 26e,
of Richard Wilkinson in the Register, 23 July 1912, page 6h,
of J.S.K. MacLennan on 17 December 1913, page 14a.
A "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony at the school is reported in the Chronicle,
25 May 1901, page 19c and
an Arbor Day on
12 August 1905, page 13c.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A photograph of members of the municipal council is in the Observer,
6 February 1904, page 23a,
16 January 1904, page 42,
of a horse sale on
10 December 1904, page 30,
of an Australia Day celebration on
14 August 1915, page 29,
of a Boy Scouts' Camp on
7 April 1932, page 33.
A flower show is reported in the Register,
8 May 1907, page 7c.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
"Saltcarters' Sports" is in the Register,
27 August 1907, page 7a.
A photograph of members of a musical and elecutionary group is in the Observer,
12 October 1907, page 30,
of the Methodist Church on
22 May 1909, page 28,
of members of a Young Men's Club on
11 October 1913, page 30,
of a football team on
20 August 1921, page 25.
The opening of a Methodist church is reported in the Register,
1 May 1909, page 7d.
8 May 1909, page 45c.
A photograph is in the Observer,
22 May 1909, page 28.
Biographical details of Rev E.I. Watkin are in the Register,
7 June 1913, page 14h,
of Albert Buttfield on 10 March 1914, page 6a,
of G. Lehmann on 30 November 1922, page 6h.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs W.C. Warren is reported in the Register,
4 March 1914, page 14a,
of Mr & Mrs James Anderson on 28 October 1916, page 8g,
the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Henry Bartram on 4 December 1922, page 6g.
Information on Bastin's motor service is in The Mail,
13 April 1929, page 10a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Motor Cars and Cycles.
The Aboriginal name for the district was Karinja - "emu place".
See D.L.& S.J. Hill, Notes on the Narangga Tribe of Yorke Peninsula.
The use of motor power on Mr Clem Anderson's farm is reported in the Register,
4 April 1910, page 6e.
The formation of a young men's club is reported in the Observer,
27 July 1912, page 17a.
Also see Adelaide - Clubs, Societies and Associations - Young Men's Christian Association.
"Yorketown's Troubles" is in the Register,
3 February 1914, page 8g.
"Beer From the Ferret - Alleged Orgie on the Peninsula" is in the Register,
23 November 1920, page 5a.
Biographical details of Dr W.H. Russell are in the Register,
26 June 1926, page 11a.
A photograph of "Miss Yorketown", Miss Gertie Aldenhoven, is in the Chronicle,
27 October 1928, page 41.
Yorketown - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs J. Sheehan is in the Register, 31 August 1894, page 7f.
An obituary of James Gregor is in the Observer, 18 May 1895, page 28d,
of Mrs Annie Kollosche on 9 December 1911, page 41a,
of Mrs G.A Heinrich on 1 March 1913, page 41a,
of T. Bilney on 20 February 1915, page 42a,
of Henry Croser on 1 May 1915, page 45a,
of Mrs Margaret Manning on 18 September 1915, page 46a,
of William Riddle (Riddel?) on 6 November 1915, page 46b.
An obituary of Henry Croser is in the Register, 26 April 1915, page 4g,
of Mrs Margaret Manning on 14 September 1915, page 4h,
of Mrs Edward Johnson on 20 February 1918, page 6f,
of F.A. McEachen on 21 August 1919, page 6h,
of Charles Bishop on 30 September 1919, page 6h,
of Mrs Alma B. Dohler on 8 June 1920, page 7b,
of Lawrence Carmichael on 16 July 1920, page 6h<
of Matthias Ericksen on 27 July 1920, page 4i,
of John Davey on 16 September 1920, page 8h.
An obituary of William Hutchinson is in the Observer, 18 March 1916, page 39b,
of George Sherriff on 15 September 1917, page 40a,
of J.W. Scott, mail contractor, on 17 January 1920, page 31c,
of Matthias Erichsen on 31 July 1920, page 12c,
of Richard O'Grady on 13 November 1920, page 19a,
of Alexander Anderson on 10 June 1922, page 34a,
of August Jung on 15 October 1927, page 48c.
An obituary of Mrs Maria Scott is in the Register, 23 December 1921, page 6h,
of Mrs Alexander Anderson on 10 April 1923, page 6g,
of Oliver Young on 26 June 1926, page 13b,
of Pastor Carl A. Doehler on 2 and 7 June 1927, pages 10c and 8h,
of Frederick W. Friebe on 19 September 1927, page 8h,
of August Jung on 11 October 1927, page 8g.
An obituary of Mrs Mary McEarchern is in theRegister, 16 March 1928, page 8f.
The name was imported from the United States of America.
The subdivision is advertised in the Register,
20 March 1909, page 11c.
- In order to meet the convenience of a great number of people and to give everyone the opportunity of securing one or more Lots in this beautiful estate, we have decided to sell, for one week only, your own choice of any lots including those with a frontage to the main Mount Barker Road on the following remarkable terms. Prices will remain as previously advertised... payable at a rate of 10 shillings per month - No deposit - No interest - No extra charges... You do not have to build - You do not have to fence...
Young TownSee Salt Bush.
Sir Henry Fox Young was Governor of South Australia from 1848 to 1854.
Parliamentary Paper 52/1855-56 has information on a gold medal presented to Governor Young "as a memorial of the auspicious opening up of navigation and commerce of the River Murray..."
See Register of 17 January 1857, page 3c for an adverse opinion from Robert Davenport in respect of the Governor's ability as an administrator.
An obituary is in the Observer,
29 October 1870, page 10d.
Younghusband, Hundred of
William Younghusband, merchant and politician, was a member of the Legislative Council from 1851 to 1861.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
His death is reported in the Register,
13 July 1863, page 2d.
The school opened in 1889 and closed circa 1949.
Aboriginal for 'stony country'.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Express,
30 January 1864, page 3b.
- The Yudanamutana [sic] races took place on New Year's Day when about 120 persons assembled to witness the sports. As the races were hurriedly got up the stakes were of course small... Horses of all sorts and sizes were there, from the broken down old screw without a sound leg to stand upon up to the well bred racehorse. Every "Cousin Jack" who had a horse to ride, rode him there; and although the country was uneven and hilly not an accident, nor even a single "burster", occurred to mar the day's proceedings. The ground chosen for the course was a piece of road between the mine and Umberatana about three quarters of a mile in length... Captain Terrell officiated as judge...
Information on the mine is in the Register,
17 April 1862, page 2d,
13 November 1862, page 3f,
15 November 1862, page 4c.
"Naming of the Yudnamutana Mine "is in the Observer,
4 October 1862, page 3d and
the importation of traction engines is discussed on
18 July 1863, page 4f,
31 December 1864, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany .
Writing from this place in 1865 John B.Hughes said, inter alia:
I trust that in South Australia we may yet find some man... who may become the means of drawing the kindly feelings of her professing colonists to watch over and relieve the stress on their Aborigine fellow subjects.
12 July 1865, page 2e and
a further letter on
2 August, page 2e.)
[His] denunciation of the colonists on the subject of the Aborigines is like the conscience-money, which after a lapse of years, a suddenly aroused taxpayer sends into the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Mr Hughes is one of those gentlemen who have freely enjoyed the lands of this colony, and who for the last quarter of a century have quietly allowed the rights of the natives to be sacrificed.
He has seen the principles... on the subject systematically violated and he has looked on calmly whilst nearly all the Aborigines have been swept away. At last, however - and we are glad of his zeal even now - he takes up the wrongs of the natives in the most excited strain... but why does Mr Hughes so contentiously sneer at the exertion of others?...
10 August 1865, page 3a; also see
12 July and 3 August 1865, pages 3e and 2g
for information on the Aborigines Friends' Association which was partially the subject of Mr Hughes' disdain; also see an editorial of
11 August 1865, page 2d under the heading "Native Troubles in the Far North" and
Parliamentary Paper 65/1865-66 for a petition from 1133 colonists praying for government aid to the Aborigines:
[The] absence of pasturage has also caused severe privation to [them] by depriving them of those animals on which they so entirely depend for their supply of food.
7, 20 and 25 September 1865, pages 3c, 3g and 2g;
13 and 23 October 1865, pages 2h and 3b;
30 December 1865, page 2e and
20 February 1866, page 3b.
An editorial re its mine is in the Register,
29 October 1868, page 2c; also see
30 August 1873, page 2d,
19 December 1891, page 8d,
21 and 24 June 1899, pages 9a and 9a,
8 July 1899, page 19,
9 November 1899, page 6e,
6 and 8 March 1902, pages 3c and 4d-9e,
1 May 1902, page 3d,
17 September 1902, pages 4f-7h,
15 March 1902, page 32c,
31 May 1902, page 38d (court case - Crispe versus Greenwood).
Local mines are described in the Chronicle,
30 September 1899, page 19e.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
17 March 1917, page 25,
28 October 1922, page 32.
"Lure of Gold - An Old-time Discovery" is in the Register,
22 April 1926, page 7c.
Yudnapinna HillInformation on pastoral property is in the Observer,
23 February 1924, page 45d,
29 March 1924, page 18a and
photographs of the station are in the Observer,
7 February 1925, page 33.
Aboriginal for 'our country'. Its former name was 'Wahpunyah'.
The school opened in 1938 and closed in 1960.
A photograph of a football team is in the Chronicle,
14 November 1935, page 35.
Aboriginal for 'feathers'. In the 1930s it was a settlement on sections 151-2, Hundred of Myponga, for poultry production.
The school opened in 1933 and closed in 1963.
"Family Life in the Scrub" is in the Advertiser,
30 December 1933; also see
4 September 1936, page 31b.
- There are 19 families, totaling 130 men, women and children at Yundi, selected from the unemployed persons in Adelaide... The camp is under the control of the Employment Promotion Council and has been financed by grants from the Federal and State governments... Three months ago the valley was virgin scrub but today each settler has a three-roomed galvanised iron house and a poultry shed... A school has been erected and will open in the New Year with 45 scholars...
YunkungaAn obituary of J.R. Wollaston is in the Register,
16 August 1902, page 7d,
23 August 1902, page 35a.
Mr Coombe of the SA Museum said:
To the tribes of Lake Eyre the word meant a "bullroarer'', that is, a piece of wood attached to a string of human hair which, when swung rapidly, with a circular motion, produced a penetrating sound. To the Dieri tribe the word yuntha meant a certain piece of wood used in ceremonial dances.
Pastor Schurmann, a Lutheran missionary, recorded the words yanta and yarnta as meaning 'there' or 'at a place'. Pastor Meyer described the word yunte as meaning 'together' or 'to assemble'. Prof N. B. Tindale said it is derived from the Aboriginal junta (pronounced yunta) - 'female genital organs'. Let us allow Horace Cobden Talbot have the last word in respect of the puzzle surrounding the meaning of yunta:
- It is modestly defined as referring to a woman's anatomy.
"Government Relief Works in the North-East" is in the Express,
27 July 1885, page 3c.
- Rabbit killing is the favourite sport as the men kill them in numbers and thus add a little to their earnings. They are paid the usual rate for scalps and also provide themselves with cheap meat. Those who do not keep dogs... take their spades and dig the rabbits out of their burrows. One cute man at Yunta has no less than five dogs... and I am told he makes a very good thing out of them...
22 April 1887, page 6f,
28 May 1891, page 7e,
7 May 1894, page 6b,
16 June 1904, page 8g.
Its school opened in 1891. An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
21 August 1897, page 26c and
a school picnic on
16 April 1904, page 14b.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A vivid description of a violent duststorm is in the Register,
14 April 1896, page 6f.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
30 November 1901, page 17e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A report on nitrogenous guano at Oratan Rocks "10 miles south-east of Netley station" is in the Observer,
12 April 1902, page 9c.
Photographs of Aboriginal carvings near Yunta are in the Observer,
25 June 1927, page 34.
Aboriginal for 'a long way'.
The school opened in 1926 and closed in 1946.
The name was taken from the Zion Chapel built at the foot of the hill by Reverend John Baptist Austin and his congregation in the 1840s.
The Zion Hill school at Wistow is mentioned in the Register,
8 April 1864, page 2h.
- The anniversary of the Primitive Methodist Sunday School at Wistow was held... A public meeting followed presided over by Mr William Wallis who called upon Mr T. Cornelius to read the report. Although death has removed several of the scholars during the past year an increase was reported; the present number being 60; teachers 15. Addresses were then given by Messrs Dodd, Neate and Jenkin...
One of our churches was called Mount Zion; it was really on a bit of a mountain and near to a vast moorland. On the fringe of this moorland stood Haworth, the parish in which Charlotte Bronte spent most of her life... In this... church John Wesley had spoken.
(Register, 5 November 1921, page 5b.)