Place Names of South Australia - K
Kopperamanna - Kyeema
- Kopperamanna, Lake
- Kurralta Park
Near Lake Gregory.
Most of the names on the Birdsville track are part of a big legend up to Cannuwaukaninna. They deal with the search by a Moora (or tribal god) for two dogs that got away from him at Beltana. He followed them and got on to their tracks at Dulkaninna, then on to Tidnacoordaninna, where he got bogged in the mud of the waterhole (tidna, 'foot'; unda or coordna, 'sticky mud'); the concluding word should be ana, the local word for water. The Moora then went on to Cannuwaukaninna, where he complained that his legs were too tired, and that is the meaning of Cannuwaukaninna; then on to Ethaduna which means 'turn back'.
He was told here that the dogs had doubled back south-east, so he followed on and found them at Kiltallie-Oola (two dogs) - but this is off the Birdsville track. Going north from Ethaduna we come to Kopperamanna (properly Koppara Murra - koppara, "root'' murra, "hand''). This was a great trading centre and all tracks led to it (as all the fingers come together in the root of the hand, so all tracks lead to Kopparamurra.) Killalpaninna was left away to the west; this got its name from an intrigue that the sun Moora had with a lady, and we must avoid scandal.
For information on the Aboriginal Mission see Place Names - Hope, Lake.
The mission is described in the Register,
14 January 1871, page 5b,
2 August 1880, page 6g,
14 February 1882, page 5a; also see
14 August 1885, page 6e,
7 June 1888, page 6e,
22 December 1896, page 11d,
21 July 1898, page 7b,
30 January 1902, page 7g,
6 August 1904, page 40b,
9 May 1906, page 13 (photograph).
I have just spent a merry Christmas at the Lutheran Mission Station. The Rev E. Hormann is the head.... I have never met with such hospitable people... They have two fine dwellings and a large school for the natives. Independent of the station they have 1,500 sheep, 40 horses and six dairy cows...
30 July 1909, page 7b.
An 1895 photograph of the Mission Church is in the Observer,
26 May 1928, page 36.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
"The Kopperamanna Murder" is in the Express,
29 June 1888, page 4a.
A corruption of an Aboriginal word meaning 'water'.
The Koppio Estate and surrounding districts are described in the Register,
24 November 1902, page 7h; also see
23 December 1902, page 8c,
27 February 1903, page 3h,
27 October 1909, page 9h and
12 September 1905, page 7f.
The Koppio has [recently been] purchased by the government for closer settlement purposes... Men experienced in horticulture, viticulture and dairying, as well as wool growing, are required. The rainfall at the head station has been over 17 inches, so Mr Telfer, the manager, informed me, the average being considerably over 20 inches...
Koppio South School opened in 1905 and closed in 1909.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Thomas Brennand (Brennan?) is reported in the Register,
18 August 1908, page 4h.
An obituary of James Telfer is in the Observer,
19 July 1913, page 41a.
Photographs of "flourishing gardens" are in the Chronicle,
13 April 1933, page 32.
Aboriginal for 'rainbow'. Its earlier name was 'Paddy's Station'.
The school opened as "Paddy's Bridge" in 1897 the change being made in 1921;
it closed in 1966.
Aboriginal for 'crow'.
Its school was opened as "Hundred of Burgoyne" in 1926 becoming "Kowulka" in 1928;
it closed in 1936.
Photographs of grain elevators at the railway siding are in the Observer,
30 October 1926, page 34.
The town (proclaimed on 24 January 1884) and Hundred were named in honour of F.E.H.W. Krichauff, who was born in Germany in 1824 arriving in South Australia in 1848. He was Commissioner of Public Works in 1870 and is credited as the originator of the SA Forests Department. Both names were wiped off the map in 1918 and changed to 'Beatty'. The Nomenclature Committee suggested the name 'Mundawora', meaning 'native blackberry' but the Government opted for 'Beatty'.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A dinner at Lobethal in honour of Mr Krichauff is reported in the Register,
13 June 1868, page 6g;
also see The Lantern, 1 April 1876, page 5 (sketch).
Biographical details are in the Observer,
19 October 1889, page 33b,
25 January 1902, page 3b,
Express, 1 July 1890, page 3c;
an obituary is in the Register,
29 September 1904, page 5a;
also see Advertiser, 29 and 30 September 1904, pages 6e and 4d.
The electors of Onkaparinga entertained Mr Krichauff at a public dinner at The Rising Sun Inn, Lobethal... The Chairman... briefly touched on his public career, instancing his activity in getting the Scrub Lands Act passed... [The guest] said he claimed a little credit for assisting to carry the Real Property Act... He believed a new a new Land Bill was now much needed but as the House was at present constituted, he feared no great change would be effected...
the Hundred of Krichauff School opened in 1901 and closed in 1903.
A correspondent to the Advertiser on 19 November 1929, page 22d says:
Hon F.W. Krichauff is credited with walking from Bugle Ranges to the city to attend meetings of the Assembly. Payment of members was not then in force... In those distant days the State Parliament did include a few men of principle among its members.
(Also see Advertiser, 26 November 1929, page 22g.)
Aboriginal for 'growing'.
The Advertiser of 18 May 1991 has a report indicating that, with the backing of the Vietnam Veterans' Association, members were planning to buy the land on which the town stands. It was intended to use it as "a bush retreat and a place to retire, with accommodation for disabled veterans."
- Kringin, a tiny town in South Australia's Murray Mallee, with a population of zero and almost overgrown by scrub, is about to get a new lease of life. The town that never amounted to much is about to become a new home for Vietnam veterans... Already about 1,500 veterans have expressed interest in the idea...
A railway station 11 km east of Mount Gambier. Aboriginal for 'red'. Prior to the coming of the railway the district was known as "Red Camp".
The Register, 6 March 1917, page 4 says:
It was feared that the Victorian authorities intended to suspend operations upon it at Kromelite (formerly Red Camp) nine miles from Mount Gambier until some date in the future when the war was finished and money again abundant. That apparently was the intention judging by the length of platform laid down at Kromelite...
In the County of Adelaide, proclaimed on 29 October 1846. A corruption of the Aboriginal kaijepo,- 'grass place'.
The school opened in 1921 and closed in 1943.
Information on the Kuitpo Forest School is in the Register,
9 February 1922, page 6f,
11 February 1922, page 28c.
"Forest Camp Schools" is in the Observer,
13 June 1925, page 10c.
"The Kuitpo Forest" is in the Register,
26 May 1916, page 4f,
"The Forests of Kuitpo" is in the Advertiser,
27 October 1921, page 8e.
The Register of 9 February 1922, page 6f talks of the Kuitpo Forest School:
The first school of this kind was opened on December 1 and continued until December 10 and 25 lads from Adelaide High School were invited to attend.
(Also see Register, 20 May 1922, page 7f.)
15 June 1926, page 18d.
During the depression years of the 1930s the Rev Samuel Forsyth established "Kuitpo Colony" as a working camp for unemployed men. See
7 April 1930, page 2a,
1 May 1930, page 10e,
16 June 1930, page 5f,
18 August 1930, page 9d,
8 October 1930, page 5c,
13 December 1930, page 3 (photographs),
15 December 1930, page 3f,
19 June 1930 (photograph),
16 October 1930, page 43d,
5 February 1931, page 53a,
25 December 1930, page 40c,
3 February 1931, page 7i,
11 March 1931, page 10c,
4 July 1931, page 23d,
17 October 1931, page 10e.
Also see Advertiser,
15, 17, 21 and 24 July 1931, pages 14g, 20f, 8e and 21c,
20 August 1931, page 8d,
29 September 1931, page 12c,
1 and 6 October 1931, pages 6g and 9g-10c,
15 January 1932, page 16e,
13 February 1932, page 12g,
21 March 1932, page 12d,
7, 11, 13 and 22 August 1931, pages 6d, 6d, 8c and 8d,
3 September 1931, page 8e,
27 April 1932, page 8d,
11 October 1933, page 7d,
22 July 1933, page 17,
24 March 1934, page 2,
13 June 1934, page 18g,
30 August 1934, page 8h
8 November 1937, page 10 (photographs).
- The Rev S. Forsyth of the Central Methodist Mission has planned an industrial colony where unemployed men and boys may earn their keep while they are looking for employment. The colony will cost £5,000 to establish and the Minister of Agriculture (Mr Cowan) has granted 460 acres in the Hundred of Kuitpo at a nominal rental for 10 years with the right of renewal... It is proposed to carry on primary industries such as dairying, sheep, pig and poultry farming and to supply firewood... The aim will be to make the colony self-supporting...
Two years ago the [colony] literally carved a way into 1,100 acres of virgin bush land... Those who expected to see simply a model farm received an eye-opener [a lengthy description follows]
6 October 1932, page 8i.
"Prison Camp - Opposition to Kuitpo Site" is in The News,
28 October 1931, page 6e.
The Kyeema prison camp is described in the Advertiser,
21 May 1932, page 16g,
"Prisoners Who Do Not Want to Escape" on
16 February 1933, page 8h.
Photographs of fire fighting are in the Chronicle,
9 March 1933, page 31,
of a gala day on
3 September 1936, page 32.
A history of the Kuitpo Helpers' Association" is in the Advertiser,
21 July 1937, page 10a.
Information on the colony is in The News,
27 February 1937, page 10d.
. Aboriginal for 'brothers'.
Its school opened in 1930 and closed in 1940.
Aboriginal for 'to wait'.
The school opened in 1923 and closed in 1945.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle, 17 December 1931, page 32.
A photograph of wheat trucks at the railway siding is in the Chronicle,
16 February 1929, page 42.
An Aboriginal word meaning 'mallee eucalyptus tree place' (kula - "eucalyptus").
A report of "The Kulpara Mining Company" is in the Register,
25 April 1861, page 3g; also see
3 June 1861, page 3c.
The "Kulpara Mine" (also known as "Copper Hill Mine") was "located 4 miles from Green's Plains Railway Station and about twelve from Kadina" - see Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), page 45.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
A ploughing match is reported in the Observer,
28 September 1872, page 6e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A Loyal Kulpara Lodge sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
1 September 1877, page 12a and
a Youth Sports Day on
9 August 1879, page 21e; also see
29 December 1883, page 21c.
Information on the water supply is in the Register,
16 and 18 January 1877, pages 5e and 4h.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
"Through the Hundreds of Clinton and Kulpara" is in the Advertiser,
8 November 1877, page 7b.
"Wants of Kulpara "is in the Register,
21 August 1879, page 7a.
The government had and were at present receiving large sums of money from the district. Mr Fowler and others were paying heavy sums as rental for their properties, but notwithstanding... [the government] laid out but very little for its particular benefit....
4 July 1881, page 3b,
"Kulpara Shooting Case" on
18 February 1910, page 1h,
12, 19 and 23 January 1910, pages 8f, 5g and 5d,
9 and 16 April 1910, pages 43b and 45b.
"The Passing of the Travellers' Rest [Hotel]" is in the Register,
28 March 1911, page 10b,
1 and 8 April 1911, pages 18a and 41b.
Biographical details of William A. Stevens are in the Register,
15 February 1923, page 6f.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs T.H. Davey is reported in the Register,
6 March 1923, page 3f.
A proposal to purchase a hall from Paskeville is reported in the Register,
2 October 1912, page 9d,
5 October 1912, page 17d.
A photograph of the Methodist church is in the Observer,
24 August 1929, page 8c.
Kulpara - Obituaries
An obituary of G.W. Brown is in the Observer,
21 August 1909, page 40b,
of T.C. Millard on 16 October 1915, page 46a,
of John Millard on 30 June 1920, page 35a,
of John Norris on 30 May 1925, page 28b.
An obituary of George Philbey is in the Register,
14 June 1913, page 13a,
of T.C. Millard on 9 October 1915, page 8h.
Near Waterloo. Aboriginal for 'resting'. Until 1918 it was known as 'Carlsruhe'.
A photograph of a tennis team is in the Chronicle,
1 August 1935, page 35.
KurillaThe opening of a Wesleyan Chapel at the mine near Wallaroo is reported in the Observer,
11 October 1862, page 3c.
- An unpretending but comfortable little Wesleyan Chapel, put up on the Kurilla mine, Wallaroo, by the activity of a few friends in the neighbourhood, was opened for public worship...
8 May 1880, page 756d.
Dr William Wyatt arrived in South Australia in 1837, aged 33 and agreed to take up the position of Protector of Aborigines; later he became City Coroner, Magistrate and Inspector of Schools. In 1843 he built a home at Burnside called 'Kurralta', meaning 'on the hill'. The suburb was laid out on part sections 52 and 93, Hundred of Adelaide, by Henry Allchurch in 1918; portion of the land was once owned by Dr Wyatt.
A history of Karrulta (sic) is in the Register
26 February 1923, page 10;
information on Dr Wyatt's will is in the Express,
6 July 1886, page 2c.
Mrs Wyatt's obituary is in the Register,
15 March 1898, page 4g,
19 March 1898, page 19d.
An article on Dr Wyatt is in the Observer,
7 January 1928, page 9a.
Dr Wyatt bought Kurralta Estate in 1843. Section 908 was taken up originally on a land grant by James Hutchinson in 1841, sold by him to George Tinline in the same year, and by Mr Tinline to Dr Wyatt two years later. The property now owned by Mr Percy Ifould consists of more than 90 acres and is one of the few large estates near Adelaide still intact.... The dwelling was built about 1846 on the model of an English manor house and the walls are three feet thick. The late George Kingston was the architect...
27 March 1919, page 4d,
1 April 1919, page 3g.
"Kurralta, Waterfall Gully" is in the Observer,
31 December 1927, page 5c.
The name is probably derived from the Aboriginal kanjakatari; kanja - 'stone' and katari - 'surface water'.
Its school opened in 1920 and closed in 1945.
The town and district are described in the Register,
18 May 1926, page 7f.
"South Australia's Only Country Museum" is in the Chronicle,
2 December 1937, page 51b.
Kyancutta... has South Australia's only country museum - a flourishing institution housed in its own building. The little township has only a school, a hostel and store combined, a boarding-house and the District Hall on one side of the railway line, the Catholic Church on the other with an odd house or two, the Post Office - general store and the Museum Institute - all in two narrow rows, facing the little siding on a lowering background of thick scrub... [The museum] owes its origin to the enthusiasm of its curator-founder, Mr R. Bedford, who is in charge of the district postal branch... We learnt that Mr Bedford, an Oxford man, settled in the district 22 years ago...
A subdivision of part section 85, Hundred of Blyth 8 km south of Blyth by Richard Roberts, farmer of Blyth Plains, in 1880. Rodney Cockburn quotes Mr Roberts as saying: 'I bestowed the name without a meaning.'
Its school opened in 1881 and closed in 1988.
Information on its water supply is in the Register,
19 and 26 October 1891, pages 6c and 6c,
18 November 1891, page 5b.
It was very hard [after settlers] had gone to considerable expense to supply themselves with permanent water, that they should be required to pay a tax. He had no objections to farmers in the scrub having the pipes extended, provided they were willing to pay for it, but to ask the people of Kybunga to pay a water tax it would be an act of injustice; in fact, it would be robbery and they should protest against it...
The town and district are described in the Chronicle,
17 June 1899, page 19a.
An outbreak of anthrax is reported in the Register,
19 and 20 June 1902, pages 5d and 6i.
A photograph of a new hall is in the Observer,
23 August 1913, page 32,
of a football team on
16 October 1930, page 34,
of a cricket team in the Chronicle,
23 May 1935, page 33.
An obituary of Hiram Longmire is in the Observer,
29 June 1907, page 40c,
of Mrs Stephen Neville in the Register,
30 April 1913, page 12h,
of Mrs Margaret Roberts on 9 September 1915, page 6g,
of Richard Roberts on 14 August 1922, page 6h.
The first occupation licence in the immediate vicinity was allotted to Edward Townsend on 11 March 1847 at 'Cadnite Creek' and records show that the name was changed from Townsend's Run to Kybybolite in 1849. In a letter to the Colonial Secretary dated 2 August 1856 Mr Heighway Jones, who held an occupation licence at 'Lake Cadnight' (sic) from 19 February 1846 spelt the name as 'Keibybolite'. The Boandik tribe of the South-East had a word kiap-ba-bolite meaning 'four' (in number).
A description of the area and the experimental farm and information on early pastoral leases appears in the Register,
3 February 1905, page 4h,
20, 22, 25 and 27 July 1905, pages 6e, 9f, 3f and 7c.
The State farm is described in the Advertiser on
29 November 1907, page 9f,
29 November 1910, page 4a,
19 April 1911, page 8g,
20 June 1923, page 12a,
8 May 1924, page 3a,
14 November 1931, page 19b.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
2 January 1926, page 38.
A history of the district is in the Chronicle,
28 December 1933, page 6.
Photographs of a "Farmers' Day" are in the Chronicle,
7 December 1912, page 31,
of a carnival on
6 June 1935, page 35.
Its school opened in 1907.
An obituary of Mrs Catherine G. Bradley is in the Register,
20 May 1915, page 4h,
of Mrs Elizabeth Matthews is in the Observer,
14 June 1924, page 38b.
Biographical details of J.P.D. Laurie are in the Register,
25 June 1925, page 3g,
5 December 1928, page 10h (obit.).
The reminiscences of Mrs Kate Cumming are in the Register,
28 April 1926, page 12b.
- Mrs Cumming said her father came out from Shrewsbury, England, in 1842 in the Lightning, with his brother Derwas. Harry held an important post in his father's privately owned Bank of Shrewsbury, but he tired of such a cut-and-dried business and pined for adventure... Having taken up land in Victoria, father put up against new climatic conditions, almost impenetrable forests, menacing Aborigines and primitive living facilities. To two "gently" nurtured Englishmen such experiences must have been awful and they won through and eventually decided to widen their horizons by exploring the western district of Victoria.
This brought them across the border into South Australia. In Victoria they were absolutely the first white men to hew a clearing in the Kilmore district and founded a station there, successfully breeding stock... Mrs Cumming said that the expedition came out into territory now known as Frances, but in those times Cadnite, on account of its lake.. The present name of Frances was bestowed by the present owner, in honour of his fiancee, Frances Caton, in England. In 1857 Mr Jones returned to his homeland and married her. They at once returned to Australia and landed at Melbourne where Mrs Cumming was born. When she was three months old they journeyed in stages to Binnum... Both my parents were very fond of the natives and whenever they were ill they went to Mother for help... Kybybolite Station was founded by my uncle, Heighway Jones...
Kyeema"Prison Camp System - Kyeema Extension" is in the Advertiser,
18 May 1937, page 19c.
See Place Names - Kuitpo.
- South Australia 's prison camp at Kyeema, a model of its kind, drew praise from the acting Premier, (Sir George Ritchie) recently. For five years an average of 12 prisoners a day have been kept at this pleasant little spot in the country...