State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - B

    Ballast Head - Barabba

    Ballast Head


    Five kilometres north of American River on Kangaroo Island, so named because ballast was readily available there for sailing ships.

    General Notes

    Arrowsmith's map of 1841 shows "stone good for ballast here" - see Register,
    6, 8 and 9 May 1922, pages 12a, 9g and 6e.

    A proposed jetty is discussed in the Observer, 18 June 1927, page 18c:

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names



    Laid out on part section 510, Hundred of Yatala by Alexander MacDonald in 1850; now included in Dernancourt. Its nomenclature is explained in the Register of 17 September 1850:

    'Balmoral', on the River Dee in Scotland, is a royal residence of the English monarchy. Joseph Ind, the founder of Paradise, purchased several lots in the subdivision and built 'Balmoral House' on lot 19, where his wife died in 1856. The name is remembered by Balmoral Road, Dernancourt. The name translates as 'village in a big clearing'; Gaelic baile - 'village'.
    Also see Place Names - Dernancourt.

    General Notes

    Balmoral East was a subdivision comprising "110 building blocks situated between Grange and Semaphore" is reported in the Advertiser,
    11 March 1922, page 5a.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names



    A railway station on the Cummins-Buckleboo line 13 km south-west of Kimba. A post office of the same name stood on section 27, Hundred of Solomon.

    General Notes

    Its school opened in 1931 and closed in 1944.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names



    A railway station on the Wolseley-Mount Gambier line 27 km south-west of Wolseley. Edward Bangham held adjacent land under occupation licence in the 1840s and sold out to a Mr McLean in 1846. Bryan Cussen held it under pastoral lease no. 154 from 1851.

    General Notes

    Parliamentary Paper 30/1875 has a map which shows "Bangham Well" and "Bangham Homestead".

    The district is described in the Register, 13 August 1880, page 5f:

    "Preserving Bangham Forest" is in the Advertiser,
    19 January 1937, page 16d.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names>



    A town laid out by the Mount Remarkable Mining Company in 1853 on section 100, Hundred of Wongyarra. The Register of 3 February 1853 at page 4b makes mention of:

    The name was imported from the United Kingdom, where it occurs four times. Its site was formerly called 'Glenorchy', the home of the pioneer Campbell family.

    General Notes

    Its school opened in 1877 and closed in 1964.
    The Advertiser of 22 August 1904, page 9a and Chronicle, 27 August 1904, page 34 say:

    Its post office was opened by Walter Purchase in 1887.

    A sports day is reported upon in the Register,
    31 December 1895, page 6a,
    4 January 1896, page 14d,
    4 January 1896, page 14e.

    The town is described in the Chronicle,
    27 August 1904, page 34d.

    An obituary of Mrs Charlotte Bowman is in the Observer,
    17 February 1917, page 32d.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names

    Banks, Cape


    Discovered by Lieutenant James Grant on 3 December 1800. Baudin named it Cap Bourru (Gloomy Cape), while Freycinet's maps show it as C. Buffon. Its name on modern charts is 'Cape Banks'.

    In his journal of 17 April 1802 Flinders records the name as 'Cape Banks West':

    General Notes

    Information on the lighthouse is in the Express, 9 June 1886, page 6e:

    Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs - Lighthouses and Lightships.

    The forestry reserve is described in the Register,
    25 May 1891, page 5a.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names



    Thomas Hardy's property 'Bankside' '... situated upon the margin of the Torrens, slightly west of north of the Thebarton Racecourse' is described in the Register, 19 November 1866, page 3e.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.

    Thomas Hardy's reminiscences are in the Register,
    1 April 1899, page 5a; also see
    14 August 1900, page 5a.
    A photograph is in The Critic,
    1 June 1901, page 6.

    "Prosecution for Wine-Selling" is in the Register,
    15 October 1864, page 2d.

    A vineyard festival is reported in the Register,
    21 May 1869, page 2h and
    11 May 1871, page 5d;
    the latter also includes the results of a cricket match of Bankside versus Fulham;
    also see
    11 May 1872, page 5b and
    23 May 1873, page 5f.

    A vintage fete is reported in the Register,
    16 May 1877, page 5b,
    17 May 1878, page 5e,
    1 May 1879, page 6a,
    21 May 1880, page 6b,
    6 May 1881, page 6e,
    5 May 1882, page 6f,
    3 May 1883, page 6g,
    3 May 1884, page 5a.

    Information on the vineyard and its soil is in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
    23 October 1874, page 5d,
    27 November 1877, page 6g; also see
    22 February 1879, page 2b (supp.),
    14 April 1893, page 3c,
    25 April 1893, page 7a,
    21 April 1887, page 6f.

    A letter from Thomas Hardy complaining of treatment received on a Hill and Co coach in the mid-north is in the Register, 2 August 1877, page 7c.

    A description of Thomas Hardy's new warehouses in Currie Street is in the Register,
    15 February 1882, page 5a and
    a dinner commemorating an enlargement to Hardy's Wine Saloon is reported on
    4 January 1883, page 5a.

    Visits by members of the Adelaide City Council are reported in the Register,
    25 March 1886, page 5c and
    14 April 1886, page 5c and
    the Port Adelaide Corporation on
    24 September 1887, page 5b; also see
    12 April 1888, page 5b.

    Thomas Hardy's evidence to the SA Vegetable Products Committee is in the Observer,
    24 September 1887, page 11b.

    Flooding is discussed in the Chronicle,
    20 April 1889, page 9c.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.

    The export of oranges to the United Kingdom is reported in the Register,
    23 September 1891, page 5b and
    a pruning match on
    28 July 1893, page 7g.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    18 July 1914, page 30.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    A grape cutters' strike is reported in the Register,
    20 March 1893, page 5b,
    25 March 1893, page 8b.

    "Wine and Oil" is in the Advertiser,
    30 June 1899, page 6b.

    "The Adelaide Cellars and Bankside" is in the Register,
    22 April 1903, page 5h,
    25 April 1903, page 12e - contains biographical details of Thomas Hardy.

    A controversy over the purity or otherwise of Hardy's "Old Red" wine is traversed in the Register,
    15, 18, 23 and 28 March 1904, pages 6e, 3h-i, 8h and 7b,
    2 April 1904, page 32d.

    An obituary of James J. Hardy is in the Register,
    16 June 1904, page 6h.

    The Bankside Cellars were destroyed by fire in 1904 - See Register,
    17 October 1904, page 4h;
    photographs are in the Chronicle,
    22 October 1904, page 27.
    The Critic,
    19 October 1904, page 16,
    19 July 1911, page 7,
    9 July 1913, page 13.
    "The Crown versus Thomas N. Hardy" is in the Register,
    5 May 1905, page 3h,
    20 May 1905, page 10h.

    The reminiscences of Thomas Hardy are in the Register,
    15 January 1910, page 15g and his obituary on
    11 January 1912, page 5b.

    Photographs are in the Observer,
    22 July 1911, page 29.

    Ballast Head - Barabba
    Place Names



    Fourteen kilometres north-east of Mallala. Land in the vicinity was first held under occupation licence by John Ellis from 15 August 1844. A town of 'Aliceburgh' was laid out on section 204, Hundred of Grace into one-acre blocks and proclaimed in 1879. It ceased to exist on 1 July 1897 and was re-surveyed into working men's blocks of four to five acres - this was the genesis of today's settlement of Barabba which is an unofficial name.

    It is an Aboriginal word for the indigenous bulrush plant.

    General Notes

    The Advertiser of 14 March 1868, page 3d reports on the Barabra (sic) scrub

    The 'Barabba Scrub' is mentioned in the Register, 30 October 1875, page 6g: 'some portions are cleared and cultivated, apparently with encouraging success.'

    The Barabba Post Office opened in 1877 and in November 1971 when consideration was being given to its closure the postal authorities said:

    The office was erected by residents in 1926; prior to this it was conducted in a room in the school which opened in 1877.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
    12 August 1876, page 5b.

    Its school opened in 1877.

    The Register of 11 October 1878 (supp.) at page 1g reports a trial of a grubbing machine on Mr H. Good's "Boundary Farm" "in the Barabba Scrub".
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming Implements.

    The town is described in the Register, 23 January 1904, page 6a.

    An obituary of John O. Lithgow is in the Observer,
    10 February 1906, page 38c,
    of Philip Brady in the Register,
    16 July 1918, page 4f,
    of Mrs James Dow on 7 October 1919, page 4h,
    of James Dow on 21 February 1920, page 6h, 16 March 1927, page 8g.

    Ballast Head - Barabba