Port Adelaide - Civic Affairs
- Comment on the Settlement
- Corporation and Allied Matters
- Fires & Fire-Fighting
- Law and Order
- Lighting the Town
- Water Supply and Allied Matters
Corporation and Allied Matters
A proposal to abolish the corporation is in the Observer,
3 June 1854, page 8d; also see
25 November 1854, page 9d.
The formation of the Corporation is reported in the Register,
13 August 1855, page 3g,
28 and 29 September 1855, pages 3c and 2f,
20 October 1855, page 2f,
8 January 1856, page 3h,
29 September 1855, page 8d,
6, 20 and 27 October 1855, pages 3d, 1d (supp.) and 4g,
15 March 1856, page 1g (supp.),
1 October 1855, page 2b and
a letter re its establishment on
20 October 1855, page 2f.
A history of the corporation is in the Register, 9 May 1924, page 12g.
A polling day is described in the Register,
10 March 1857, page 3a.
An election of the 1850s is recalled in the Register,
9 June 1906, page 10f.
Information on the municipal seal is in the Observer, 18 March 1899, page 33e.
An election of the 1850s is recalled in the Register, 9 June 1906, page 10f.
A drinking fountain is discussed in the Register, 2 September 1861, page 2h.
Information on a proposed town hall is in the Register,
28 May 1864, page 2f,
26 November 1864, page 2c.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Town Hall is reported on 12 June 1865, page 3a also see
26 April 1866, page 2f,
22 August 1866, page 2e,
29 September 1866, page 2d,
1 September 1866, page 5d for its opening and Port Adelaide - Buildings Also see Register,
23 January 1885, page 5a,
7 August 1901, page 4f..
Information on the Town Hall clock is in the Register,
6 June 1867, page 2d,
"The Town Clock" is in the Register,
28 November 1881, page 5b.
"Christmas Cheer for the Poor" is in the Register,
26 December 1867, page 2h; also see
9 and 24 December 1891, pages 5e and 2c.
Also see South Australia - The Colony - Christmas in South Australia.
"The Port Corporation and the Government" is in the Chronicle, 18 March 1871, page 12a.
"Politics at Port Adelaide" is in the Register, 23 July 1873, page 4e.
"Port Adelaide Reserves" is in the Observer, 22 May 1875, page 10d.
"Encroachment on St Vincent Street" is in the Register,
11 November 1875, page 7b.
A sketch of St Vincent Street is in the Pictorial Australian in
A proposed memorial for Mr J. Formby is discussed in the Observer,
10 October 1874, page 5d.
Biographical details are in the Observer,
11 July 1891, page 31a.,p> The opening of the Formby Memorial Fountain is reported in the Register,
29 May 1876, page 6d.
An obituary of S. Formby is in the Register,
29 May 1890, page 4h.
Information on Mr John Formby, SM, is in the Observer,
20 May 1899, page 16e;
an obituary appears on
6 October 1906, page 38d.
The annual inspection of the town is reported in the Register,
19 December 1876, page 6d,
13 December 1880, page 6c,
8 January 1883, page 6f,
14 December 1885, page 7d,
1 May 1906, page 6f.
A presentation of medals to a lifeboat crew is reported in the Register, 2 November 1876, page 5c.
A meeting of the Port Adelaide Market Co. is reported in the Register,
27 September 1879, page 5c and
the opening of the Port Adelaide market on
17 November 1879, page 6d.
Public concerts at the town hall are reported upon in the Express, 11 July 1882, page 2e.
"Sunday Trading at Port Adelaide" is in the Express, 1 December
1884, page 4b.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Breaking the Sabbath.
Details of the "Port Adelaide Poor Relief Fund" are to be found in the Register,
31 July 1885, page 5b,
1 and 4 August 1885, pages 5b and 5a; also see
10, 12, 13, 18, 21 and 25 August 1885, pages 5b, 5c, 5b, 5c, 6h and 5b,
1, 8, 15 and 22 September 1885, pages 5b, 5d, 5b and 5a,
27 October 1885, page 4h.
Christmas cheer for poor children is discussed on
9 December 1891, page 5b.
A presentation to W. Beattie is reported in the Register,
19 March 1885, page 6g,
to S. Malin on
24 December 1887, page 5c.
An obituary of Sidney Malin is in the Observer,
7 February 1920, page 44b.
An obituary of a former mayor, T.W. King, is in the Register,
15 and 17 December 1885, pages 5a and 6f,
of Bernard Sigrent on
20 July 1895, page 5c.
"[Queen's] Jubilee Address by the Port Corporation" is in the Register, 4 and 6 May 1887, pages 6f and 7b.
"Early Closing at Port Adelaide" is in the Express,
4 March 1889, page 4e.
A meeting called to consider the early closing of liquor bars is reported in the Register,
2 July 1914, page 9e.
Information on a morgue is in the Express,
14 February 1890, page 4b,
21 July 1890, page 5a.
Disagreements over the site for a new morgue are expressed in the Register,
27 and 28 November 1890, pages 4h and 7f,
5 and 8 December 1890, pages 5a and 5h; also see
29 May 1891, page 5a.
A photograph and information on a Mayor, Thomas Grose, are in the Weekly Herald, 7 January 1899.
Biographical details of E.J. French, "the first Mayor of Port Adelaide", are in the Register, 9 April 1914, page 8b.
An obituary of a former Mayor, James M. Sinclair, is in the Observer,
11 October 1890, page 30c,
biographical details of a Mayor, R. Morris, in the Observer,
15 June 1895, page 16d,
an obituary of a former Mayor, Bernard Sigrist, on
20 July 1895, page 30c,
biographical details of Thomas Grose on
21 January 1899, page 16a
10 April 1915, page 45a),
of Dr J.C.G. Jurs (Mayor) on
8 March 1902, page 6d,
of W. Workman on
30 November 1907, page 40c,
an obituary of Charles Reynolds on
11 September 1926, page 60c.
"Steam-Roller for Port Adelaide" is in the Register, 21 February 1894, page 7g.
Biographical details of a Mayor, C.R. Morris, are in the Register, 3 December 1894, page 7h.
"The Port Council and Building Alignments" is in the Register, 16 May 1895, page 4f.
An obituary of James T. Stephens, corporation inspector, is in the Register,
23 February 1897, page 5e,
27 February 1897, page 13b.
"Diamond Jubilee Celebrations" is in the Register,
12 and 14 June 1897, pages 6d and 5h.
"A Municipal Jubilee" is in the Register on
3 and 7 March 1906, pages 10h and 4e.
"The Port Adelaide Library" is in the Register, 8 October 1897, page 3f.
"Greater Port Adelaide - Municipal Amalgamation" is in the Register,
25 November 1897, page 5h,
10 December 1897, page 6d.
"Mayoral Social at Port Adelaide" is in the Register, 12 November 1898, page 6a.
A photograph and information on a Mayor, Thomas Grose, are in the Weekly
7 January 1899,
16 October 1899, page 5a.
Biographical details of a Mayor, J.W. Caire, are in the Register, 1 January 1900, page 7f.
"The Port Corporation and its Flags" is in the Register, 6 March 1900, page 4h.
"Greater Port Adelaide - Officers Appointed" is in the Express, 6 November 1900, page 4d.
A parade held to raise funds for the Port Adelaide District Trained Nurses' Society is reported in the Register, 20 October 1902, page 3a.
"Rights of Citizenship - A Mayor Objected To" is in the Advertiser, 17 November 1902, page 6f.
"Port Adelaide Bear Garden - A Lively City Council" is in the Register,
30 January 1903, page 5e,
"Municipal Reform at Port Adelaide" on
11 and 27 February 1903, pages 4g and 5a.
Biographical details of T.L. Thompson, town surveyor, are in the Register,
8 April 1907, page 4e,
of a Mayor, J. Clouston on
4 December 1911, page 6h,
1 December 1913, page 8d,
2 December 1915, page 9f.
Biographical details of John Deslandes, city surveyor, are in the Register, 11 August 1908, page 5c.
A corporation picnic is reported in the Register, 22 October 1908, page 4f.
"A Municipal Jubilee" is in the Register on 3 and 7 March 1906, pages 10g and 4e.
A letter to the Editor of the Register headed "Mayor's Cupboard" appears on 9 February 1909, page 9e:
If there is a law that the mayors of Port Adelaide should be required to keep
in a supply of intoxicants in the Mayor's parlour and dispense the same without
charge to the members of the corporation, would you be good enough to inform
me what the law is... The history of [this matter] calls for reform.
A municipal quarry is discussed in the Register,
8 December 1910, page 6h,
7 October 1912, page 9f.
"Port Adelaide's Problems" is in the Register, 13 July 1914, page 8c.
"Free Speech [on local streets]" is in the Register, 12 and 22 September 1916, pages 5d and 6f.
Biographical details of a Mayor, John Sweeney, are in the Register,
4 December 1916, page 8,
of A.O.R. Tapp on
19 June 1925, page 10e.
The laying of the foundation stone of a soldiers' war memorial is reported
in the Register on
9 November 1918, page 8g; see
17 September 1921, page 11g,
17 September 1921, page 11e for the unveiling of the "Workers' Memorial".
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
A photograph of a new road sprinkler is in the Chronicle,
21 June 1924, page 38,
of a children's Christmas party on
29 December 1928, page 44,
of a municipal band on
11 February 1928, page 35.
"Abattoirs for Port Adelaide" is in the Register,
25 January 1928, page 15g,
8 February 1928, page 15e.