State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - B

    Baldon - Balhannah



    East of Truro, settled by Lachlan McBean (1810-1894) from 6 March 1845 under occupation licence when his holding was described as 'between hills and scrub'. According to Rodney Cockburn it is a corruption of a Scottish place name. 'Baldoon Castle' is in Wigtown, Scotland; it means 'Bealda's home'.

    General Notes

    Also see Place Names - Dustholes.

    Information on Lachlan McBean is in the Advertiser,
    8 June 1932, page 10i:

    An obituary of Alexander McBean is in the Register,
    4 February 1903, page 5b,
    of Mrs Margaret McBean in the Observer,
    7 September 1907, page 40e.

    Baldon - Balhannah
    Place Names



    A subdivision of section 454, Hundred of Ayers, 19 km west of Burra, by Dr William J. Browne in 1875. He advertised that:

    The town never developed and its nomenclature is unknown. However, the name was probably taken from "Baldry Hut" on the Booborowie run - see Dr Charles Davies' diary held in the Mortlock Library, page 173. Dr Browne returned to England in 1878 and died at Eastbourne in 1894 aged 79.

    General Notes

    Parliamentary Paper 34/1877 shows the Baldry School conducted by Mary J. Rankine with 26 enrolled pupils;
    it opened in 1876 and became "Leighton" in 1880.

    Its post office was opened in 1877 by J. Burden and became 'Leighton' in 1888.

    Baldon - Balhannah
    Place Names



    The town 19 km WNW of Maitland was was named by Gov Jervois on 23 November 1878 (see GRG 35/1 - docket no. 2427 of 1878 in State Records Office) and proclaimed on 6 February 1879. Governor Fergusson is reputed to have named it after a village near Inverness, Scotland. Prof. N.B. Tindale has recorded that the Aborigines knew the district as palkowan - 'potato place'; (palko - 'native potato' and wan - 'place' (of existence).

    Of further interest are the words of Sir James Fergusson of Kilkerran, Scotland in 1964 when, writing of his family background, (see Place Names - Cunningham, Hundred of) he said:

    However, the name appears four times on the map of Scotland; in 1487 one of them, a town near Aberdeen, was written as Balgonie. It derives from the Celtic baile-a'ghobhainn - 'village of the smiths'. The town was named by Gov. Jervois on 23 November 1878. In Governor Fergusson's Legacy at page 225 the author says:

    However, according to the surveyor's (N.W. Pethick) Field Book no. 1028 of 11/7/1878-23/1/1879 local surveys were not undertaken until 1878. As stated above there is no doubt that Gov. Jervois named Balgowan and the following facts are presented in favour of Lord Lynedoch, formerly of Balgowan, Perthshire, Scotland, and the son of the Laird of Balgowan, as being in the nomenclator's mind at the time of its christening.

    Thomas Graham, Lord Lynedoch (1748-1843), was a famous soldier of the British Army and for two years from 1798 laid siege to a French garrison at Valetta, Malta. Further, Gov. Jervois was an expert in fortifications and visited Malta in 1869 to inspect works in progress. Thus, it is suggested that he decided to link existing Scottish nomenclature of the region with that of a fellow soldier who, coincidentally or otherwise, was an associate of Colonel William Light.

    General Notes

    A proposed jetty is discussed in the Observer,
    23 and 30 August 1879, pages 14a and 5g:

    Also see
    23 July 1881, page 6c.
    26 January 1907, page 15e.

    A photograph of the town is in the Observer,
    19 August 1905, page 29,
    6 April 1907, page 30,
    of wheat stacks in the Chronicle,
    27 February 1936, page 33,
    of the arrival of barley on
    18 February 1937, page 32.

    Baldon - Balhannah
    Place Names



    The Register of 21 December 1839 has an advertisement which is headed 'New Township Near Mount Barker' and calls the attention of newly arrived emigrants and the general public to 'the excellence of section 4208, on which it is intended to establish the new town'. Later, it was described as being:

    The owner of the section was James Turnbull Thomson, whose journal is held by the Mortlock Library; at page 246 this document reads:

    If the evidence of tombstones in the local cemetery is to be believed the village was originally called Belhannah. Mr A. Monk writing to the Register from Goolwa, in 1909, said: 'He prefixed "Belle'' (corrupted into bel), for beautiful', while Henry Liston of Morphett Vale said 'I always understood from him that he named it from his mother's name, Hannah, with the Celtic prefix "bal'', signifying a town or village.'

    Thus we are left with alternative meanings - 'beautiful Hannah' or 'Hannah's village'. Let us leave the last words on the subject to Mr C.H. Kruse, of Milang, who said, in 1909:

    Of interest is the fact that the first survey maps of the Hundred of Onkaparinga in 1844 show the 'Township of Balhannah'.

    General Notes

    A letter from James Thomson complaining about the dispensation of justice at Mount Barker is in the Register,
    22 March 1843, page 3c; also see
    12 and 15 April 1843, pages 2f and 3c:

    During 1843 Mr. James Thomson engaged in 'free for all' with the magistrates of Mount Barker in respect of their conduct in certain cases, including some in which he was personally involved. On 15 April his rejoinder was published:

    The Editor saw fit to append the following note:

    The mines and district are described in the South Australian,
    2 April 1850, page 2c.
    A gold find on the banks of the River Onkaparinga is reported in the Register on
    10 March 1866, page 2f and
    on section 4107 on
    18 January 1887, page 5b.
    A history of a local gold mine appears on
    11 February 1904, page 5b.
    A photograph is in the Observer,
    25 May 1907, page 31.

    Information on mining for bismuth and copper is in the Observer,
    9 October 1869, page 13f,
    8 May 1871, page 3e,
    13 May 1871, page 10a,
    8 May 1871, page 4f-5d; also see
    5 August 1899, page 4g.

    "The Balhannah Mine" is in the Chronicle,
    2 November 1872, page 5g,
    28 October 1872, page 3a,
    6 January 1873, page 3b,
    11 January 1873, page 11b,
    13 February 1904, page 28.

    Information on a proposed school is in the Register,
    29 January 1858, page 3b,
    11 and 13 February 1858, pages 3h and 3f;
    its opening is reported on
    3 November 1858; also see
    30 December 1859, page 2e,
    17 November 1860, page 7h,
    13 December 1862, page 7h,
    28 November 1863, page 1e (supp.);
    according to Education Department records it opened in 1859 and closed in 1874.

    Examinations at Mr Whitfield's school are reported in the Register,
    17 December 1858, page 3g; also see
    26 November 1863, page 2h and
    19 December 1876, page 6e.
    An interesting letter in respect of a controversy over the school is in the Register,
    13 December 1876, page 6a,
    23 December 1876, page 10a-b,
    17 February 1877, page 13g,
    14 July 1877, page 7a; also see
    16 August 1877, page 7b.
    Biographical details of J.G. Cornelius, teacher, are in the Register,
    28 September 1903, page 3e.

    The opening of a bridge over the River Onkaparinga is reported in the Register,
    1 May 1858, page 3c.

    The laying of the foundation stone of St Thomas's Church is reported in the Observer,
    14 January 1865, page 2g.

    A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
    19 February 1887, page 21d,
    31 March 1894, page 6f and
    a baseball match in the Register,
    15 April 1889, page 7g.

    Information on Mr G.F. Osborn's dairy factory is in the Chronicle,
    25 August 1894, page 23c; also see
    15 September 1894, page 2d.

    A pigeon shooting match is reported in the Observer,
    8 April 1899, page 22b.

    Biographical details of Thomas Pugh is in the Observer,
    29 December 1900, page 46b, 14 March 1903, page 26e,
    of James Pugh in the Register, 13 July 1906, page 5a. Information on Thomas Pugh is in the Register,
    13 September 1905, page 9d,
    14 January 1907, page 5c (obit.).

    The town is described in the Advertiser,
    16 December 1902, page 7b.

    The laying of the foundation stone of a parish hall is reported in the Observer,
    25 August 1906, page 15b;
    for its opening see
    1 December 1906, page 1a (supp.).

    "Wealth at Balhannah" is in the Advertiser,
    29 March 1910, page 6a; also see
    13 April 1910, page 11d.

    A history of the Altmann family farm is in the Chronicle,
    17 November 1932, page 6.

    Biographical details of Mrs Johanna C. Tiedemann are in the Register,
    30 August 1913, page 14h,
    of A.H. Spoehr on 10 July 1915, page 8g.
    of James W. Williams are in the Observer,
    7 July 1928, page 34d.

    Information on Henry Lawrence's fruit case factory is in the Observer,
    2 June 1917, page 4b.

    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    28 September 1933, page 35.

    Balhannah - Obituaries

    An obituary of Mrs A. Spoehr is in the Register,
    23 October 1901, page 4h,
    of Mrs M.L. Leake on 9 September 1902, page 5c.

    An obituary of J.H. Parr is in the Register,
    27 and 28 July 1906, pages 4h and 7b,
    of F.S. Tiedmann on 23 July 1908, page 5b.

    An obituary of J.C. Altmann in the Observer,
    4 December 1909, page 38a.

    An obituary of Thomas R. Chesterfield is in the Register,
    17 January 1911, page 6h,
    of Gustave Tiedman on 12 November 1920, page 8c,
    of William W. James on 26 January 1929, page 13f.

    An obituary of John Williams is in the Observer,
    9 December 1916, page 35d.

    Baldon - Balhannah