State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - A

    Ardtornish - Arthurton



    A name given to a property in the Modbury district purchased by Angus and Gillian Maclaine from former Scottish associations. They were the benefactors of the 'Ardtornish School', established in the 1840s, which is commemorated by a school of the same name erected in the Saint Agnes area in 1980. On 30 November 1846 Angus McLaine applied for a share of a government grant to build a school at Ardtornish and in March 1847 20 was allotted by the Kirk session of St. Andrew's Church. Official returns of 1858-1862 supply statistics relating to the school conducted by Charles Kerr when it was described as 'a very useful school conducted by an energetic master in a good and well furnished building'.

    It is a hybrid name derived from the Gaelic aird - 'cape' and the Norse Thorsnes - 'Thor's Ness'.

    General Notes

    Information on the school is in the South Australian,
    13 April 1848, page 2d;
    a report on school examinations is in the Observer,
    29 April 1854, page 5f,
    29 October 1859, page 8b and
    examinations and a festival is in the Register,
    20 November 1858, page 2e,
    28 October 1859, page 3c,
    9 November 1866, page 2d; also see
    29 October 1867, page 2g and
    23 November 1869, page 2g.
    See Register,
    5 December 1905, page 7d for further historical information:

    The name of the school was changed to "Hope Valley" in 1915;
    it closed in 1980, being replaced by the Ardtornish Primary School in 1982.

    An obituary of Mrs Mary McCallum is in the Observer,
    19 March 1898, page 30b.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names

    Ariel Lookout


    On Thistle Island. The highest point used to look for the ketchAriel when it was wrecked en route to Thistle Island

    General Notes

    "Ketch Ariel Missing" is in the Observer,
    7 April 1928, page 32d:

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names



    In the North Flinders Ranges about 20 km north of Hawker. SA Museum records state it is a corruption of the Aboriginal akapa - 'underground (or hidden) water'.

    General Notes

    The "opening services of a temporary pine building for school and religious purposes in connection with the Primitive Methodists" is reported in the Chronicle, 20 September 1879, page 21c:

    Its government school opened in 1888 and closed in 1941.

    Information on farming in the Hundred is in the Advertiser,
    3 and 13 April 1888, pages 6g and 7d,
    15 May 1888, page 3f.
    Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development, Pastoralists and Allied Matters.

    Following the resumption of the Arkaba run by the Crown a former lessee, J.H. Browne, said:

    An obituary of John Edgeloe is in the Register,
    2 September 1903, page 4g,
    5 September 1903, page 34e.

    A discovery of asbestos is reported in the Advertiser,
    6 July 1909, page 6e.
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.

    Historical information is in the Register,
    6 February 1926, page 9a.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names



    In the General Registry Office are two plans lodged in June and July 1859 in relation to the villages of Armagh South and Armagh North 3 km west of Clare laid out by William Henry Clark, brewer, of Adelaide on sections 131 and 393, Hundred of Clare. He was born at Newry, County Armagh. In May 1850 'Armagh (South)' was described as:

    General Notes

    Its school opened in 1860 and closed in 1942. See
    10 December 1864, page 2h,
    26 April 1866, page 2f,
    28 December 1866, page 2h,
    11 September 1867, page 4e.
    School examinations are reported in the Observer,
    22 December 1860, page 4g,
    6 December 1862, page 3a,
    10 December 1864, page 3a,
    27 December 1866, page 3d; also see
    8 October 1870, page 11b,
    24 January 1871, page 6b,
    The Irish Harp,
    6 January 1872, page 3c.
    A photograph is in the Chronicle,
    14 January 1937, page 34:

    The opening of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Chronicle,
    9 May 1868, page 7a.

    A discovery of silver ore is reported in the Register,
    3 February 1888, page 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    Biographical details of D.A. Crosby are in the Register,
    25 December 1906, page 6i and an obituary on 20 February 1907, page 7a.

    An obituary of George Hanlin is in the Observer,
    25 February 1922, page 21d.

    A photograph of a Queen competition is in the Chronicle,
    13 February 1936.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names

    Arno Bay


    The town, 122 km north-east of Port Lincoln, originally surveyed in 1882 by G.H. Ayliffe as 'Bligh' which contained 184 allotments, was renamed Arno Bay on 19 September 1940. In 1889, Mr J.A. Foulds said:

    On early plans Arno Bay is described as 'Salt Creek Cove'. The first pastoral lease (no. 1740) of fifteen square miles over adjoining land was issued to Peter McKechnie following application no. 201 of 1863. This included the site of the present-day town. The plan of the above lease shows 'Ano' (sic), while a land tenure plan of that era shows 'Arno' near a landing place on the coastal frontage to the lease which tends to confirm Mr Fould's nomenclature.

    A post office (receiving only) was opened there on 1 January 1908 and the mail came once a week from Wallaroo, Tumby Bay and Port Lincoln and thrice weekly from Cowell.

    Also see Place Names - Bligh.

    General Notes

    The Register of 5 April 1869, page 2h talks of "Ano Bay".

    Its school opened in 1911 and closed in 1948.
    1 February 1911, page 8h,
    11 February 1911, page 47b.

    The "Arno Bay Mine" (or "Windittie Mine") was sunk in the early 1870s, but after a strong influx of water operations were discontinued - in 1903 it appeared to warrant further expenditure "to ascertain its true value below water level..." See Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 152 and
    2 February 1900, page 7c,
    10 October 1905, page 6e (information on its discovery).
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    Biographical details of Josiah Tanner are in the Register,
    15 October 1907, page 5a.

    The town and district are described in the Register,
    25 October 1910, page 3b,
    Observer of
    29 October 1910, page 14c and
    27 January 1912, page 13e,
    29 April 1911, page 42a,
    13 May 1911, page 42,
    13 April 1926, page 7e.

    The "Wants of Arno Bay" are aired in the Register,
    15 May 1908, page 3h; also see
    28 December 1908, page 11g,
    13 April 1926, page 7e.

    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    14 January 1932, page 32,
    3 March 1932, page 34,
    29 September 1932, page 32.

    "A Tale of Progress" is in the Chronicle,
    24 April 1909, page 41d; also see
    1 May 1909, page 30 (photos) and
    "Progressive Arno Bay" on
    20 August 1910, page 44a.
    also see Advertiser,
    11 August 1910, page 7f,
    5 October 1910, page 11h.

    "Arno Bay Badly Treated" is in the Register,
    6 January 1911, pages 3c-4g:

    The opening of a new hall is reported in the Register,
    26 October 1910, page 5h, Observer,
    29 October 1910, page 17c.

    An obituary of Mrs Jessie Martin is in the Register,
    15 October 1926, page 10a.

    The jetty is discussed in the Observer,
    14 October 1911, page 46d.
    Also see Place Names - Franklin Harbour.

    A photograph of a motor car bogged on the Cowell road is in the Chronicle,
    2 February 1933, page 38.
    Also see South Australia - Transport - Motor Cars & Cycles.

    "Church Service in Hotel" is in the Advertiser,
    7 October 1937, page 21b.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names

    Arno Vale


    The Southern Australian of 2 March 1841 says:

    It lies a few kilometres from Gawler and one of the founders of that town, John Reid, came from Arno Vale in Ireland. A brass plaque in St George's Church, Gawler bears testimony to John Reid, his wife and children. The name also occurs in Nottinghamshire, England.

    General Notes

    See Register, 24 July 1841, page 4c where it is said that its alternative name was "Cockatoo Valley".

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names



    North of Wilpena in the Aroona Valley, means 'place of frogs' according to Robert Bruce (1835-1908), who was overseer of the Arkaba run in 1858-59. The name 'Aroona' is also applied to a dam near Copley and other features in the Flinders Ranges. The 'Aroona Run' was established by J.F. Hayward (1822-1912) in 1851 (lease no. 83).

    General Notes

    A photograph of members of a local tribe of Aborigines is in the Chronicle,
    7 November 1903, page 42.

    A reminiscent letter written by J.F. Hayward is in the Register,
    24 March 1911, page 8h; also see
    19 May 1928, page 16g; also see
    22 March 1913, page 13e when Mr. J.R. Phillips reminisced upon Mr. Hayward:

    Mrs Hayward's obituary is in the Register,
    30 and 31 March 1925, pages 9e and 8g,
    7 April 1925, page 8h,
    Advertiser, 31 March 1925, page 14f.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names


    "Arrawarru - Mr Beasley's Residence on the Torrens" is in the Register,
    27 August 1866, page 3g.

    Mr Beasley's orangery is described in the Register,
    19 July 1875, page 6f.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton
    Place Names



    A town 35 km south of Kadina was proclaimed on 25 January 1877 and named by Governor Musgrave after his son Arthur. (See Place Names - Kalkabury)

    General Notes

    Its school opened in 1879 and closed in 1988.

    The opening of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Chronicle,
    16 February 1895, page 12b.

    A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
    5 September 1903, page 15b.

    The town is described in the Register, 3 May 1904, page 7f:

    Biographical details of Mrs Catherine Kenny are in the Register,
    8 July 1919, page 6f, 10 November 1926, page 8h (obit.),
    an obituary of William Short on 1 November 1926, page 10h.

    An obituary of J.V. Kenny is in the Observer,
    14 July 1923, page 35b,
    of Luther Crosby on 8 December 1923, page 39b,
    of John Sharrad on 27 October 1928, page 50a.

    The opening of the Soldiers' Memorial Chambers is reported in the Advertiser,
    1 November 1927, page 20c.
    16 July 1927, page 6a.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    A photograph of a football team is in the Chronicle,
    1 November 1934, page 33,
    of a tennis team on
    6 June 1935, page 34.

    Ardtornish - Arthurton